58 Years Old, Double Implant/capsule Removal After 28 Years! SO HAPPY! Pittsburgh, PA

At age 30 I had 36 A/B, tubular breasts with all...

At age 30 I had 36 A/B, tubular breasts with all of the breast tissue immediately behind the nipples. The breast augmentation surgery merely created a larger version of my natural configuration-- I became a C cup. I will say that I loved the way I looked-- I felt more balanced in my appearance. My breasts felt soft and natural. I did not have the coveted, classic "powderpuff" breasts, but I accepted that. The implants were not under the muscle, and I believe they were silicone. Post-surgery, I was woozy and nauseous. Other than to go to the bathroom, I didn't get off the couch for at least two days. After the immediate recovery period, I regularly visited my original PS (long since retired, and in another city) to have him "crack" the capsules post-surgery. Each time, I cried all the way home because it hurt so badly. I discontinued those visits and by 1993/1994, I had two rock-hard potatoes on my chest. I was humiliated when a male acquaintance hugged me-- and then asked me if I had breast implants. I asked why he said that and he told me that he felt two hard points of pressure against his body when he hugged me. After that, I stopped hugging people, or if I couldn't avoid the hug, I developed a weird A-frame hugging style or I only hugged from the side.

Over the years, my breasts became more and more tender, more painful. I had to be careful not to bump my breasts or even to extend an arm across my body reaching for something. Running for exercise was completely out of the question. Anything that jarred my breasts was out of the question.

It goes without saying that I would go several years between mammograms, and that they were excruciatingly painful.

Last November, I consulted a PS in my new city about removal of the implants, and I decided to go forward with the procedure. I opted to NOT replace them. I don't want to go through this again when I am nearly 80 years old. We figured that the implants had probably ruptured, and that the procedure would include removal of the implants, the capsules, and as much of the scar tissue/ruptured contents as could be captured.

Yesterday, I underwent the procedure for removal. Good news: the implants had not ruptured, and they and the capsules were entirely removed. I hired caregivers from a professional, bonded in-home service provider to take me to and from the hospital, to remain with me throughout the surgery, and to stay with me at home yesterday and through the night. Both ladies were awesome.

I had no nausea, and I was not woozy at all. I was not hungry but I ate the foods suggested by the doctor (toast, popsicles, yogurt, water, coffee, and ginger ale), so that I could take the antibiotics. All were tolerated well and when I finally went to bed I slept well and deeply. I got up this morning and sat on my front porch enjoying the sunny day while drinking my coffee. I ate a broiled steak and a baked sweet potato for lunch. I did not need to take any pain medication. There is some discomfort but it is minor. I gently palpated my breasts and reveled in their softness. I am very happy with the way they feel. My breasts look only slightly smaller than before the surgery. I expect that there is some swelling which will go down as time passes.

My post-op visit is scheduled for next week. If I wish, we will see if my breasts need a lift in about a year.

If I had the opportunity to do over again, I would not have had the implants. Since I *did* choose the breast augmentation nearly 3 decades ago, I am very glad that I have chosen to have them removed.
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon