Day-by-day Synopsis of What Recovery is Like - Tualatin, OR

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Before my procedure I was browsing reviews looking...

Before my procedure I was browsing reviews looking for a day-by-day synopsis of what recovery is like. I had my lipo done two weeks ago and decided to share what recovery has been like for me. First my recommendations:

Buy about 5 pairs of cheap pajamas. The first day I soaked through mine (soaked full of the saline they pump into you) so fast, I changed them every couple hours. Take all your sheets off the bed, lay a trash bag down, and use a cheap blanket the first couple nights that you don't mind getting stained. Buy a cheap robe to wear after you shower while you're waiting for your compression garment to come out of the washing machine. I set up a blow up mattress in the living room so I could watch TV without fear of staining the sofa. Clean the house beforehand, and prepare some meals you can easily heat up without trouble. Buy stool softeners, trust me. Invest in real Spanx – not some knock-off brand. They’re more expensive but hold you in better than anything from Wal-Mart.

Day of Procedure:
My doctor used twilight anesthesia on me. The IV went in my arm, I felt sleepy, and next thing I know I woke up in the post-op room with my compression garment on. I was really thirsty so the nurse brought me water, some crackers, and a pain pill. I had to pee SO bad! The nurse helped me walk to the bathroom. 5 minutes later I had to go so bad again! I guess it was all the saline solution they pump into you. The nurse helped me get dressed in my sweats, and then put me in a wheelchair out to my boyfriend's car. I put a trash bag on the passenger seat ahead of time since I knew I'd be leaking.

After getting home, I changed my sweats because they were soaked in saline solution coming out of my incisions. I ate some toast, took my pain pills, slept. The first 12 hours I chugged water like it was my job, I wanted all the saline solution to pass through me. I went to the bathroom every hour, it was so uncomfortable to bend to sit on the toilet! The worst part of the first night was the feeling of being in wet clothes. Even though I changed them, they would get soaked again within two hours. I slept fine through the night after some pain pills. I laid on my back and didn’t move at all through the night.

1 Day Post Operation
I popped a couple pain pills before taking a shower, which helped a lot. I had my boyfriend put my compression garment in the wash while I showered. It was pretty painful getting into my compression garment after showering, but once it was on I felt much better (and DRY!). I watched TV most of the day. Laying down felt like heaven, it’s once I got up to move around that I started hurting. The draining from my incisions slowed down. I never once felt nauseous, yet didn’t have too big of an appetite. My boyfriend made ravioli and I think I ate like 3 ravioli that night. The compression garment was so tight I couldn’t imagine being full in it.

2 Days Post Operation
Pretty similar to 1 day post op, except less draining from the incisions. My boyfriend took me to Target and I walked SO SLOW throughout the store. I also couldn’t fit into jeans since I was swollen, so I was wearing sweats and soaked through them a little on my left thigh. I’m just glad I didn’t recognize anyone I knew there!

Days 3-7 Post Operation
I started feeling a little better. I was able to work from home these days, so had my laptop in bed. The draining stopped, and the scabs formed. I wasn’t able to poop until day 4 post-op from all the medication. Once I did, I felt so much better! I ran to the grocery store once or twice, but that’s all I could do (outside of the house) the whole week.

Days 8-9 Post Operation
I really didn’t start feeling much better until day 8 post-op. I was able to run errands around town, but not walk very fast, or lift anything heavy. Also, my incision sites started itching like crazy! I know it’s a good thing since they were healing, but it was crazy uncomfortable.

Days 10 Post Operation
Was able to walk one mile around the neighborhood (slowly). Had my first post-op doctor’s appointment. He said everything looked good.

Day 11 Post Operation
Walked 3 miles around the neighborhood!

Day 12 Post Operation:
Was able to go to the gym again, but definitely no running for another week probably.

I still have a good amount of bruising, but it’s disappearing SLOWLY each day. The incision sites are pretty itchy, especially when I am outdoors in the heat. It hurts to bend over (like to paint my toenails is impossible). I see ZERO difference in my thighs. The doctor said it will be about 3 months until I see a major change. I definitely can see a difference in my waist, and I love it!

4 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
4 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
2 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
4 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
4 out of 5 stars Payment process
4 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful