post lumpectomy radiation on breast with implant - Tualatin, OR

I have had silicone breast implants since 1999....

I have had silicone breast implants since 1999. They are about 600 mls. Over the muscle. They were fine until I had radiation therapy in Feb of 2013. My radiated breast gradually became more and more contracted/hard. I went to my MD who suggested fat transfer prior to implant replacement. Research is showing that with new cells that are non-irradiated, the new implant will be less likely to contract. He hoped the procedure would be covered by insurance, the med ctr where he is employed is applying for coverage on this. They still have not obtained "permission" so he suggested I go to another MD and pay out of pocket for the fat transfer. I was also told that I would need more fat to have this procedure done. I went to another MD who said that another implant in an irradiated breast would be much more likely to fail. He suggested multiple fat transfers in lieu of an implant change. I had gained 20 pounds for the procedure and he suggested that I add about 5 pounds and not lose any weight. My current weight is 166.5 lbs up from 144 lbs. I am 5 ft 7.25 inches.
Portland Plastic Surgeon

Skilled, conservative, very knowledgeable re: fat transfer.