Mini UBL - Dr Horndeski - Sugar Land, TX - Very Disappointed

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

DAY 1 Yesterday I had my mini-UBL and I found...


Yesterday I had my mini-UBL and I found other peoples posts very useful so I thought I'd post one as well.

The initial consult I had was about 4 weeks ago, so it was relatively quick to the have the procedure scheduled. Although you are supposed to have someone take you to the surgi-centre and stay there, I caught a taxi. I arrived the surgery at 6am to complete the paperwork and get preppred. Dr Horneski arrived about 7.30am and took photos and marked me up.

That's all I remember until about 1pm when I woke up and was discharged . I was bandaged up like an egyptian mummy for the next 24 hours. I woke up every 2 hours or so in a lot of pain and took more painkillers. I feel like I've been run over by a truck and the pain is mostly around my armpits.

I had my post surgery appointment at 9am where the bandages were taken off and I was helped into my bra. I was told to buy in advance of my surgery new bras - one at my exiting cup size and the other a cup size larger than normal. I'm normally a 38C and I bought a 40D as the larger size. This didn't come close to fitting me, so I had to have a friend go out and buy me a 40DD and 40DDD. I am currently wearing the DDD cup size which is astonishing. I'm obviously extremely swollen.

I haven't really had a look at my breasts yet. I'm still very swollen and in pain and too much movement is making me feel ill.

Things I wish i'd know beforehand:

You will have extremely limited mobility in your arms. I knew I wouldn't be able to lift my arms above my head, but what I hadn't realised that simple things like opening a kitchen cupboard would be difficult. I live by myself so I wish I'd been aware of all the limitations and I would have been better prepared;

ie. take anything out of your kitchen or bathroom cupboards that you think you'll want access to. If its higher than waist height, you are not going to be able to get it without straining and pain.

If your microwave is encased above the stove or recessed high, you'll either need to move it down to the bench or go without. reaching up to put things in or out of the microwave will pull at the stitches and be excruciating.

Buy lots of clothes that button up at the front. You wont be able to put on or take off clothes that don't have buttons or zips down the front. This wasn't really explained to me in enough detail to appreciate how important it would be.

You may need help bathing and toileting. I'm not kidding, simple things like pulling pants up and down and cleaning yourself after going to the bathroom are difficult. I'm hopeful that this will be less of an issue in a few days, but at the moment its a bit of a challenge.

You will be given 3 different kinds of medication - pain relief, antibiotics and muscle relaxant. I wasn't aware that you are not able to drive a car while taking the pain relief. So be prepared to be housebound for many days or have someone else lined up to drive you places if need be.

So overall I feel like someone has dropped a 50 tonne concrete block on my chest. I'm in quite a bit of pain, can hardly move my arms and the girls look all squished and pushed in.

I'll post again in a few days and let you all know how things are tracking.

DAY 6 I thought I'd post a quick update on how...

I thought I'd post a quick update on how I'm feeling today. Well I made it in to work which is great. The pain has receded considerably to the point where I've stopped taking the prescription pain meds and am just relying on over the counter Iboprofin and asprin which seems to be enough. My breast themselves don't hurt at all, what is still very uncomfortable is the area around my armpits. But day by day, this is improving.

The entire area around my nipple is starting to move back into a normal shape - not quite so 'pushed in'. The bruising is of course still very pronounced - I've moved to a lovely shade of yellow as opposed to being black and bruised.

Wearning a bra 24/7 is annoying, but its absolutely imperative so that the breasts are moulded into the correct shape.

So much more positive about the likely outcome than I was even 3 days ago. As I keep being reminded - I need to be patient and let the healing take place.

Day 7 I had my first post-op check up with Dr H...

Day 7
I had my first post-op check up with Dr H this morning. He said everything looks fine and I appear to be healing well despite the massive amount of black and yellow bruising. So I need to continue being patient. I go back again next week and before I head in to the appointment Dr H said to have a hot shower and remove all the bits of tape across the nipples.

I'm totally off pain meds now which is great - although I have been taking a half tablet at night just to help me sleep. I'm used to sleeping on my stomach or side, so I'm finding it difficult to get a good night rest sleeping on my back and the tablet seems to help ensure a good night of sleep.

I do have some discomfort in my left armpit area, but no pain with the actual breasts. Dr H suspects it might be lymph nodes trying to keep me healthy. Its amazing how little pain I have now considering what my poor boobies went thru a week ago. Slight tighness across my chest but basically no real pain which is great.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos pre-op or post op. As a single gal I didn't have anyone to take photos before hand but I will get someone to take some soon so that you can see how I look 7 days after surgery.

Update to Day 7 - Check up with Dr H I should...

update to Day 7 - Check up with Dr H
I should probably have mentioned that during the check up Dr H touched both nipples to see how much sensation I had. I wasn't looking when he did this and I had absolutely no idea he was touching them. So at the moment no nipple sensation at all. Dr H said sometimes it can take a while before the nerves start to become effective again and that over time I should regain some sensitivity.

Day 20 I removed the tapes around the nipple on...

Day 20

I removed the tapes around the nipple on day 14 before my 2nd post op visit with Dr H and nipple sensitivity has returned with a vengeance. They are extremely sensitive at the moment but based on comments from other ladies i suspect this will settle down over the coming months.

My breasts themselves are still rather tender - even a very light touch is uncomfortable. So long as I don't knock them accidentally its not too bad. Again it's the healing process and I've been told to be patient.

At the moment, 3 weeks out, I'm not that happy with the result. One breast is noticeably larger than the other. When I raised this with Dr H his only comment was 'they shouldn't be because I didn't add anything'. However I thought that the premise of the surgery was to reposition the existing breast tissue and I relied on the doctor being able to do this symmetrically. Hopefully some of the difference is swelling and they'll even up a bit. If not I'm going to be very upset.

Also they are a weird shape - almost squared off over the nipple area. Apparently the final shape is dependent on the bra and I've been sure to follow the instructions I was given. Again I'm hopeful they will round out again over time.

I'll try & add some new photos & will update again in a few weeks

10 weeks post surgery

I thought I'd post a few more photos as there doesn't seem to be that many months after surgery. Nipple sensitivity has settled and is about 70% of what it was. My breasts themselves are soft and natural feeling except around the aerole which is hard and has formed a keltoid scar. I'm using scar gel which hopefully will make a difference over the coming months.

Unfortunately, my boobs have dropped quite a bit as they've settled and healed.

Overall, I don't feel that there was anywhere near a significant enough change and improvement over what I started with to warrant the cost and pain.

3 months post op

I had my 3 month post op visit with Dr H and explained that I was disappointed with the results and feel that overall there's been maybe a 20% improvement and that is in the cleavage area. There has been no discernable difference in actual lifting the breasts.

I was incredibly impressed with Dr H and the way he handled my concerns and disappointment. He agreed that there wasn't significant lift (due to my breasts being right on the border of being able to do a Mini UBL as opposed to the full UBL) and offered several solutions including doing another Mini UBL (at no cost) or nipple revision.

I haven't yet decided what option to take -- I've got time to decide since we need to wait another 3 months until I am completely healed before attempting any other surgery.

Regardless of what I decide, I am very pleased with the manner in which Dr H addressed all of this and can only commend his level of customer service.

12 months post op

I've had several ladies as me for feedback on my mini -ubl as it's now been 12 months since I had the procedure. In October (I think) I also had the nipple revision. That helped considerably to get rid of some rather painful and unsightly scarring. I've added in some new pictures. As you can see there is still considerable scarring and pleating. I've been religiously using scar treatments which has helped a little bit - but the scars are still very noticeable.

Overall I'm disappointed with the results and wish I'd either gone for the traditional breast lift or simply done nothing at all. There really hasn't been a significant improvement for the original pain, discomfort and resultant scarring.
Texas Plastic Surgeon

4 out of 5 stars Overall rating
3 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
4 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
4 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
4 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
4 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
4 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
4 out of 5 stars Payment process
4 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful