Breast Reconstruction with Wound Healing Issues - Stanford, CA

I am brca2 positive. After 4 years of biannual...

I am brca2 positive. After 4 years of biannual surveillance I decided to undergo a bilateral nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. The surgery is tough! You cannot be prepared for the pain you will have. I am a nurse and I wasn't prepared! I spent 5 days in the hospital and the next 2 weeks hardly able to walk and cares for by my mother and husband. I also developed wounds fairly quickly and knew things were not right. It looks like too much tissue was removed during the mastectomy/skin manipulated by the breast surgeon and then the plastic surgeon pulled things much too tight. It wa a 14 hour surgery! Complications do happen so when I lost a good portion of skin on my left breast, I had to pick myself and move on. The revision dos not result in expected results either. I think due to what was done in the revision surgery but not cleaning up edges before seeing them together. I was supposed to get a wound vac and skin graft but my PS changed her mind and decided to just stitch it up. Now I am having another surgery for a skin graft with a second surgeon!

Skin grafts

I had skin grafts from my hips taken to close up the wounds on 8/31. My new surgeon recommended moving forward and not waiting and that a wound culture on open wounds could grow anything: so I went for it with the hopes that I can move on from this ordeal !

Skin graft 5 days postop

Followed up today to have bolster dressings removed from my skin grafts. I will follow up in 2 weeks again. I continue with the cipro twice a day for a total of 14 days.

Wounds today 43 days after grafting

A very small amount of drainage still on the left. A clear suture came to the surface a couple of days ago and I cut it off. I think it will close over now. This happened to a couple of spots in the tummy area too and they closed after those sutures came out. It did leave a bigger scar in those spots though. I go back in January for a check up and back to work Monday after 3 months off. I am hoping for a revision maybe in March or April? I won't feel good entirely until I get a nipple on the left and a cleanup on these scars. I really didn't expect this type of result with a prophylactic mastectomy and reconstruction. I still feel like I have been left mutilated. Does anyone still feel this way? I'd love to hear from you. Anyone that can send me hope that have been through this I'd appreciate it!
Dr Dunh Nguyen

She was very nice but I question her technical skills especially after the revision. She never even cleaned up the edges and just sewed I up tight with no slack on skin. Separated agin. Now scheduled with a different Doctor for a skin graft in 2 days. 3rd sugary in 6 weeks!