54 Year Old Woman - Poor Voluma Results in Spokane, WA

I am a 54 year old woman and this was my first...

I am a 54 year old woman and this was my first experience with a cosmetic filler. If readers take anything away from this, please be cautious of even all-5-star doctor reviews.

I was hoping to improve my sagging jowls. The doctor, a well respected dermatologist who I found on realself, injected 2 vials total of Voluma just under my eyes next to my nose, and high on my outer cheekbones. Within days the injections resulted in a black eye, excessive mid-face swelling, and under eye skin issues not present pre-injection (I developed what looked like small raised water blisters with the skin covering them crepey and dark.) The cosmetic results were very unattractive, with unnatural crescent shaped ridges running across both sides of my face which only emphasized my eye hollows. I looked so strange that people stared while I was out in public. At 1 month I'd had enough and made an appointment to have the Voluma removed with Hyaluronidase. At the appointment the doctor forewarned me it would take a considerable amount of time for the swelling to subside. It's been over 6 months, and the mid-face swelling is gone. Although the crescent shaped ridges remain, they are barely noticeable. Under my eyes the hollows are still emphasized, and the crepiness and dark skin remains. I hope this is not permanent.

Immediate Post Hyaluronidase results: a small improvement over the first few days to e swelling closest to my nose.

This review has been edited at the request of the consumer, sc62 on 2/16/16

Comments Received

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions - it's actually helped a lot. Less welcome though, are comments posted by Rae Jordan a local physician, and DebraRealSelf a local realself manager. Both posts are intended to defend the doctor/product, and are not related to my experience (Debra goes as far as redirecting readers to her own personal review, and high-fiving Rae.) I'm pointing this out because it's irksome that a realself manager did this - she either has poor judgement or she's made it her job to lobby for realself advertisers.
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

I had poor Voluma results, and a bad patient-doctor experience with Dr. Chestnut. He was initially professional, but his conduct changed dramatically during the last appointment to remove the Voluma. He showed no concern for my results, he spoke to me in a patronizing manner, and he ended it by strangely barking the comment "YES dear! OK dear! GOODBYE dear!" as I was leaving. He had just sat down at his desk, and was looking down to avoid making eye contact with me as I exited the door. I believe he was frustrated and angry; he had said earlier I was the first of his "own" Voluma patients he's had to remove it with, as if it were my fault? This was a sexist/age related comment, and was shockingly immature. His assistant was standing next to me when he said it and our eyes locked; I turned to the doctor and replied "that was one too many dears" and left. At that point it was just surreal, and I wanted out of there as badly as he wanted me gone. I ignored both of his post-procedure follow-up calls. I've waited over 6 months to post about my experience with Dr. Chestnut to ensure I was being fully objective with his review. To Dr. Chestnut's credit, initially my jowls were lifted, he acted professionally during the first appointments, and he did not charge me for the Hyaluronidase injections to remove the Voluma.