Jumping the hoops for Gastric Sleeve surgery. I could really use some support/advice. - Slidell, LA

I am a 47 year old married mother of 2 boys. One...

I am a 47 year old married mother of 2 boys. One is grown and the other is 13. I formerly had the lap band and did well. I lost 80-100 pounds. I had major trouble (multiple infections and slippage of the band) I finally had to have the entire system removed after the 3rd infection. I was so done with all of it and I think I really gave up for a time. My current weight was 315 pounds when I went to see my weight loss dr about 3 weeks ago. I am currently 308 pounds. I have my psych eval tonight, already cleared by my cardiologist, I have to have blood work and see my primary dr next week for clearance and then I see the weight loss dr the following Monday and then I should have a surgery date. I am having a lot of physical problems that should disappear when I lose enough weight including sleep apnea, chest pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. I could really use some support. I don't really want to tell too many people this time around. It always felt like people watched to see what I was eating and it made me uncomfortable. Maybe I was just internalizing but I am keeping my circle small except for all of you. Any advice for comments?

Waiting on a surgery date

I have officially jumped through all the hoops required by my insurance company. I completed a psych eval, cardiac clearance, primary physician clearance etc. The file has been submitted to my insurance co for final approval and then I will get a surgery date. Praying for God to move the mountain that the ins co can be and so I can move forward quickly! :)

I have a surgery date!

My surgery is scheduled for September 26th! I could have had it next week but I feel like I need the extra few weeks to prepare myself. Yesterday I started cutting out any snacks in between meals.
I felt like I was starving when I got home. I am guessing it is head hunger mostly and I need to get a handle on it. I've already cut out soda and sugary drinks. I had a half cut tea this morning but it will be my last one with any real sugar. I picked up a box of Truvia so I am prepared that way. I don't want to go with things like equal and Splenda because I know they are really bad for you. I am going on a shopping trip soon for all the things I will need after surgery. My Dr only requires a liquid diet the day before surgery. Is there anything additional I need to be aware of or any tips. I am a determined lady going into this. I have to....for me. I want to feel good, live and not just be a spectator. Wish me luck! :)

Surgery day is Monday!

Well the big day is almost here. I seem to be getting a bit nervous but I'm sure that is normal.
Sunday will be clear liquids only so I think I will have a steak and baked potato for my "last meal."
Haha. I still feel good about my decision. I am determined to take back my life. Have a good day y'all!

Bump in the road

I am 2 days past surgery for my gastric sleeve. Was doing perfect and went home yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I was readmitted last evening for fever and pain. Apparently I was trying to brew an infection but the are working on stamping it out with IV antibiotics and lots of fluids. Hopefully I will get to go home tomorrow. I sure would appreciate some prayers. Still having a fair amount of pain and waiting on final results of the CT scan. I believe this is just a bump in the road to regaining my health!! Thanks y'all for all the positive comments you have been leaving for me. Means the world to me and definitely lifts my spirits! Have a great day!

Feeling Better

Hey guys! I am sorry I didn't get on here to give you an update sooner. I ended up spending an extra couple of days in the hospital for IV antibiotics but I am doing much better! I met with the doctor and the nutritionist this morning. I have already said goodbye to the 300's! Starting weight was 315 and I am currently at 298. I teared up and got emotional. I just could not believe that much is gone already. I feel a big difference already in my shoes and rings. It has been a tough week. Part of that is my fault as I didn't realize I should have started the my weight fruity protein drinks on day 2. (whoops) I picked up my bariatric vitamins to start today and even some my weight hot chocolate which I hear is quite tasty and high in protein. I have absolutely no regrets. If your surgery is coming up, don't be nervous. You will do great! I will continue to keep you posted on how things are going. As for me, the full liquid stage starts today and I can have sugar free pudding and greek yogurt. I can't get to the store fast enough. haha Have a great day everyone. I am so encouraged that I know I will. :)

Unreal how great this is!

I have to share with you. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet and I feel better and better each day. I am off ALL meds and I think that is part of the dramatic change too. I don't know where my weight is. I am choosing not to drive myself crazy and I will wait til my 1 month post op visit and I'll update y'all then. I do know I lost 17 pounds in the first week. I can't even wrap my mind around that. My wedding ring is loose, my shoes fit better and I think I can see the difference in my face but the biggest change is how I FEEL!!! I am starting to have energy and I was smiling on my way to work this morning. Whaaaat??? Best decision of my life. Hope y'all have a wonderful day!! :)

Slow and steady wins the race

Hi guys! I am at my 3 week mark. I part of a baby potato for lunch and one egg for breakfast. Now since that isn't enough to keep toddler alive I am currently sipping on a smoothie king wedding cake flavor gladiator smoothie. 45 grams of protein so all I will need later is an Oikos yogurt for an additional 15 grams of protein to hit my goal for the day. I'll be honest. I've been kind of up and down. Mostly up but I've had some down times too. The other day I made my family a lovely dinner of sirloin roast cooked medium with some killer scalloped potatoes. It is so hard to cook for the family and not have any. Apparently too hard for me because I had a bite or two of the steak and I thought I was dying. Threw up.....a lot. Thankfully I am fine and I've learned a lesson not to push to hard and stay in the food groups I am allowed to be in. I can't wait for the fresh crab meat I can have in 2 weeks. Saving money here people! 1 crab is all it will take, lol!

starting weight: 315
current weight: 287

Talk to you y'all soon! :)