5ft, 155lb, 34G - Hoping for Insurance Coverage - Seattle, WA

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I've always had large breasts. For a long time I...

I've always had large breasts. For a long time I never thought seriously about a breast reduction, but as they keep getting bigger, I've given it a bit more thought. I've been researching and thinking for the last month or so - not long, I know, but I've got a little less than a year left before I'm too old to be insured by my parents, so I've got no time to lose, really. I'm going in for a consultation tomorrow, hoping to get a bit more information and get the ball rolling in terms of insurance approval. I hope it works out, but I'm nervous that it won't.


I had my consultation today and it went really well, I think. I liked my doctor a lot, he was very kind and straightforward. He went over the process in detail and talked the risks and aftercare a bit, and showed me before and after photos. Then he left and I changed into a gown, and he came back in with the woman who helped me fill out my paperwork, and he took some measurements that she wrote down. Then he came back and we talked about what size I wanted to be. I told him I honestly hadn't thought that far ahead - I knew there was usually a minimum amount that insurance would require be removed, but I didn't really know what that would look like. I know it's usually around 500g, but I had no context for what that really meant. He said he could take that much from me easily, and that if he only took 500g I would not be pleased with the result because I'd still be really big. That was a relief to me, because that was one of my main worries. He said that he thinks I'd look best as a small D, which sounds good to me. I'm short, but I've got really wide hips, and tend to be a bit heavier even when I'm in good shape.

I had some pictures taken and the doctor is going to write a letter to be submitted to insurance. I was told they usually hear back between 1-3 weeks, and that I'd get a call as soon as they hear back.

So now that's all I need! I'm nervous that I won't get approved because I don't have any other documentation about the trouble my breasts have been causing me. I never thought to say anything, though, because I didn't really think there was anything that could be done. I guess we'll see if this works, and if not I'll try to jump through some more hoops. I definitely can't afford it without insurance approval right now, but it's something I absolutely would consider somewhere down the line when I'm in a better place financially.


Here is a photo of my breasts now, as well as pictures from over the last 12 years. It was surprisingly hard to find pictures where you could actually see how big I was. I never realized how much I've been hiding them!

The Waiting Game

It's been a week since my consultation, which is not very long, I know, but every time my phone rings I get excited and nervous. The place I'm staying at right now doesn't really have cell reception that often so I've been really paranoid that I'm missing The Phone Call.

My life is very much in flux right now. Pretty much everything is up in the air, so I am so looking forward to having something concrete to wrap my head around.

Still Waiting

Still playing the waiting game. I got a call on Thursday from the surgeon's office to let me know that the paperwork did go through and that they were still waiting to hear back, and that they hadn't forgotten about me. That was thoughtful, as it has helped quell those worries. I'll update as soon as something happens.

The Wait Continues

Haven't heard anything, getting impatient and discouraged.

Waiting, But Less Discouraged

After my last update I received a call from my PS, saying that they had called my insurance company up to check on things and make sure my information hadn't gotten lost or anything. It's still being reviewed. The woman I spoke to said that that's unusual, and apologized that it's taken so long.

I was glad to hear that nothing has gone wrong, and appreciated the phone call. I'm still feeling very impatient, though. I'm currently looking for a job after moving back to Seattle from California, and am also hoping to schedule the surgery for this calender year because my family's out-of-pocket max has almost been reached. That makes things a little complicated, because I'd prefer to have the surgery done in the next month or so, if possible, so it doesn't interfere too much with the holidays, but it won't look too good to ask for time off a job I will have only just started. I guess there's really no use worrying about this right now, I'll just have to see if I'm approved and then figure out what dates are available. Fingers crossed I'll hear soon!

Still waiting

Just thought I should pop back in and update... it's been six weeks since my consultation and my insurance company still hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful