51yrs Old, Lost 72 Pounds (Twice in 10 Years!) Hate my Sagging Arms! - Scottsdale, AZ

I did weightwatchers and lost 72 pounds in...

I did weightwatchers and lost 72 pounds in 2007-08, gained it all back and lost it again on WW in 2013. Now that I'm over 50, my skin doesn't seem to have any elasticity left and I am left with a lot of sagging skin. I am 5' 6" and weigh 132 pounds. I've tried to lose more weight, but I can't seem to stay any lower. This seems to be the weight my body is comfortable at. I hate my legs and arms. I been lurking on this site for awhile and finally decided it was time to do something about it. I'm tired of wearing 3/4 length sleeves and longer shorts (plus I live in the Phoenix area and it is HOT here!). So, I made an appointment for a consult with Dr. Spies in Scottsdale. He told me I was a perfect candidate for the arm lift, but suggested a medial thigh lift. I'm disappointed with the medial thigh lift. He showed me what it would look like, and it is not enough for me. I'm unhappy with my thighs, just above my knees and with my calves. The medial lift will not help those lower areas. He told me there isn't anything we can do about those areas (lipo would just leave more saggy skin). So, I'm not going to do that. But, I am excited to do the arm lift! However, I did want to get at least another professional opinion. So, I called Dr. Shapiro today to get a consult, but I was disappointed that they charge $100 for a consult. I thought they all did that for free. I didn't make an appt. Do most PSs charge a consult fee? Can anyone else in the area suggest a good PS for an arm lift? I'm posting some before pictures.

Arm lift surgery is booked, deposit paid!!

I'm so excited! My brachioplasty is scheduled for November 12th. I go for my pre-op appt October 26th. Can't wait!!

Pre-Op appt was today, I'm so very excited!

I saw Dr. Spies today. Did all the final reviews of the surgery. My currently measure about 32cm and he said he could take about 9cm off. That is a lot! I need to get 3 rx's filled, an antibiotic, an anti-nausea and a pain med. The final countdown is on! Two weeks from Thursday.

Two days until surgery! So excited!

I am actually looking forward to having a legitimate excuse to relax. I'm so ver excited. So far no regrets, and I'm totally fine with having permanent scars, and with the pain of the recovery. As long, as I get the desired results. I think that is my only concern, that it won't be enough. I will be sure to post about my procedure, recovery and pictures. Thanks to all of you that have helped me get to this point.

The night before!

I'm so excited, I'm not sure I'll sleep tonight. We took a few more 'before' pictures and measured my arms.

Photos from the night before surgery

I tried to post these, but got an error. Trying again.

One day after surgery

Went great! Still very tired, but minimal pain. Just taking regular Tylenol. It's hard to move around right now. I'm sleeping in a large comfy recliner with my arms propped up. Went back this am for a quick check with the ps. He says he removed 10cm (my arm measured 31cm). Some bruising, not much swelling yet. He left the steri-strips on the incision, so I haven't seen the incision yet. I'm all wrapped in ace bandages, so I'll take pics tomorrow when I can shower. Only meds I'm taking are the Tylenol and keflex (antibiotic). This seems much easier than I was expecting.

Couple more pics.

Here is the markup from the dr and here I am in my garment. I will post pics later when I get some help taking it off (I can't take it out by myself).

Here's the pics

Let the swelling begin

I am feeling really tight today. Every time I move my arms I feel like it's splitting at the seam. Removed the cg and it is just starting to swell. Is this normal? I was surprised it wasn't swollen right away. The swelling is the pulling I am feeling. Feeling pretty good. I'm enjoying the relaxing and catching up on tv shows on my dvr!

6 days post op. Dr visit, all bandages removed

Here are the pics will all the tape removed. Not too much swelling. Looks great! I'm surprised at how well the scars look. This has been such a good recovery. I really expected much more pain, bleeding, and ugly scars. I did buy the Biocorneum scar treatment he recommended. He prefers that to the silicone tape. I start using that in one week when I start to massage my scars.

17 days post op update

I'm doing very well. Not much swelling at all, just usually at the end of the day around my elbows. No pain unless I try to stretch too far. Scars look great with the exception of some dried blood that I don't want to pick off. The worst part is my armpits, and reaching. I have pulled them to the point of bleeding. So, I have to be careful with that. I'm using BioOil and BioCorneum on the scars as of yesterday. Massaging them feels weird because there is some numbness along the scars (ps said that is normal). I will post some pics later today.

Photos from 17 Days Post Op

I do have a question for those of you that have had this done. Did you have any pain in your lower arms or hands? My forearms and the tops of my hands feel bruised (sore to the touch). I don't have any bruising there, but feels bruised. Anyone? I'm wondering if it is normal.

Four Months Post-Surgery Update

Sorry for the delay in posting updates. Things have been progressing nicely. I still have numbness along the scars. I am happy with my results, however, I am frustrated at how red the scars are. We have been having warm weather in Phoenix, and I'm dying to wear short sleeves (to show off these beautiful arms, however, the scars are so red, that I'm too self-conscious of them. I just don't know what to say yet if someone asks about them. One person asked me if I was in a car accident! What do you say about your scars?

Six Month Post Arm Lift Update and Pictures

So, here I am six months after my arm lift. I have to say that I am a little disappointed. I hope it is just a matter of being inpatient. My doctor says I need more time to heal. My scars seem very large and quite dark. I've used BioOil and BioCorneum (from the Dr.) and I've been massaging them on my own. What do you guys think? I'm in the Phoenix area, and it has been over 100 degrees lately, and I'd like to wear tank tops, but I'm pretty embarrassed about my scars. My arms don't seem as small as I'd hoped either. Feedback? The doctor tells me to be patient and to allow up to two years for the full healing. I think my arms looked smaller in previous months (post surgery) than they do now. Could I still have swelling? I saw the doctor last month and I don't go back for another couple of months.

10 Month Update

It has been 10 months. I have been thrilled with the results. I've worn tank tops all summer and that is a first for me! However, I am still not happy about the scars. I expected scars, but they are still quite red, large and bumpy. The dr says they will still heal. I have been wearing make-up on them. Here are a couple pictures. My armpits have healed great, the scars are white and not very noticeable.