Laser Treatment of Tummy Tuck Scar. Santa Monica, CA

I'm 18 month post op from a full tummy tuck which...

I'm 18 month post op from a full tummy tuck which turned out well but my scar detracts from the awesome results. Despite trying every scar treatment under the sun, it is still very pigmented and a bit spread out. I did my real self research and found THE DOC to go to for scar treatment and had my consult today.

So I arrived at Dr. Karamanoukian's office at 11:50 for my 12:15 consult. Waiting room was packed so I thought I might be waiting a long time. I was given the usual new patient forms to fill out and was pleased to find that most of those waiting had emptied out rather quickly. I was called in by 12:30 by the doctor himself . He was very friendly and easy to talk to and gave me all the time I needed to go over each of my areas of concern. He explained his plan for treatment which would include two types of lasers (pulsed dye and CO2 fractional?). Then he told me it was probably going to take at least 15, yes 15, treatments to see good results. Wow that's a lot of trips to Santa Monica in LA traffic on my precious weekends. But, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Instead of a per treatment price, he gave me a one time price, for a set amount of time, in which I could cram in as many treatments as possible. Still going to be difficult to get out there 3 x per month, but I am determined. I asked if we could start treatments right then and there and he was a bit surprised that I didn't opt to take time to think about it. Believe me I have been thinking about it for over a year and have done my research. Also it helps that I'm not laser phobic as I've has laser hair removal treatments before. LET'S DO IT! So we moved on into the lasering room I singed the proper release and we were done in a flash (pun intended). Just the VBeam for this treatment. For the most part no pain. For a few seconds it felt like that stinging feeling when you are getting sandblasted at the beach, but nothing I couldnt handle.
...posting before pics here. Will wait a few treatments before I post updated pics.

5 days after 1st treatment

I see improvement. Motivated to continue with treatments. :)

CO2 laser

So far 3 pulsed Dye laser treatments in and 1 CO2 laser treatment. CO2 was done 3 days ago. Despite numbing cream and loss of sensitivity in some areas of my scar this treatment was not pleasant but tolerable for the possible benefits . Plus doctor let me yip and yelp as much as needed as I was the last patient in the office. The pain came and went quickly and he said I would be quite uncomfortable the next day, but I have not had any issues with pain since. So :)
Right now still healing. The laser burns thousands of tiny columns of skin which is why it looks dotted. This treatment is supposed to improve the texture of the scar.

Posted progress pics to wrong area

About 7 treatments

One year after stopping treatment

So here's a picture approximately one year after stopping treatment...last treatment was July or August 2015, this picture was taken July 2016.

Tattoo over Tummy Tuck Scar

3 years after my tummy tuck & one year after scar treatments I decided to start the process of getting tattooed over my scar. Let me tell you it is no walk in the park. I stupidly thought it wouldn't hurt so bad because of the numbness I still have from my scar to navel, holy shit was I wrong. I opted to start with a partial covering which I thank god I did. I didn't want the standard symmetrical tattoo that I've seen over most TT scars. Also let me tell you that I have never had a tattoo before in my life.

First of all be prepared to feel pain throughout your entire stomach no matter where you are being tattooed. Because the skin had been pulled down and stretched during the tummy tuck I could feel the tattooing underneath my ribs while he was actually tattooing my hip. It felt like he was tattooing in two places at once. The second he started I blurted out a "holy f*ck". I though there is no way people go through this over and over. The scar puffed up after it was tattooed over because it filled with ink. And I had a horrific healing process that led me to the doctor after a week. Luckily it was not infected but extremely inflamed as were my abdominal muscles that decided to go into semi permanent contracture. Every time I stood up it was like I had to stretch out my muscles similar to the tightness after TT. Anywho... The healing process took about 3 weeks and I wound up with additional scarring due to heavy scabbing. I just went back in for my touch up which hurt like hell too, but instead of Saran Wrap the artist used Saniderm to cover the tattoo and I left it on for two days. Saniderm is like a breathable clear bandage. This made a whole world of difference in healing and I won't ever get tattoos without Saniderm again.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon