Long Process for Lip implants but Worth It! - Richardson, TX

I decided for my birthday to get lip implants. ...

I decided for my birthday to get limp implants. The doctor recommended 4mm top and bottom but I chose to do 5mm top and bottom instead. I based this decision on the many reviews I read saying people regretted the medium size or even that the large wasn't big enough. My lips are on the small side and I wanted to see a difference, but unfortunately the larger size distorted the shape of my lips and smile. Recovery was very difficult I experienced three cold sore outbreaks back to back. I felt like the swelling took 3 months to really go away fully and the implants were very stiff. The 5mm implant doesn't tapper very much so my bottom lip resembled a sausage. It had a fake look about it and it looked awkward when I smiled. The top implant shifted all the time and wasn't long enough. Also in certain lighting it looked like there was a shadow above my lip like a mustache and the corner of the implant (where it begins to tapper) created a little bump on the side of my lip. I finally after 5 months had them replaced with 4mm top and bottom. First surgery cost $1,900 second $1,100 - so in all I paid $3,000. I'm a week out from surgery and doing great! My lips already look perfect - all the issues I had have been resolved with a longer length and smaller implant. I'm writing this for others trying to decide between a 4 or 5mm. Things I wish I'd know:

- length is super important - if the implant doesn't slope down into the corners of your mouth it with distort the shape of your lips and look like a line instead of an arch.

- bigger isn't always better. My lips look %100 better with the medium size. The larger size didn't make my lip area bigger it just kind of extended into the area above my lips - hard to explain but it left a shadow.

- ask Dr what a revision would cost and have him write it in your notes.

- think about the shape and size of your lips not what you wish they were. I personally now believe you have to start with larger lips to pull of the 5mm.

If you're on the fence definetley get Permalip implants - they're a great procedure! I only wish I'd done medium to begin with - would have saved $ and time! Good luck!

Pictures

I just added a few pictures and will add another one once I've completely healed. Notice how my bottom lip with the 5mm looks too stretched and doesn't have a natural pout any longer.

1 month after revision

Everything is going smoothly - implant is still a little stiff and I can't open my mouth as wide as I used to be able to, but I'm loving my lips! I'm very glad I went down a size! The 4mm suits my face shape better and looks natural.

Side view 4mm at 1 month mark

Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Roberts is really friendly and explains things well. I chose him because he specializes on the face and has done many Permalip implants. His office staff couldn't be nicer and I would definitely go back!