35 Y/o Mother of Two - Portland, OR

I've been reading all of your posts for the last...

I've been reading all of your posts for the last month and thought I should introduce myself and hopefully (eventually) help others in this journey as many of you have already unknowingly helped me.
Let's see....I was a very active child and teen, swimmer, ballet dancer, runner. I didn't have a weight issue until about 10 years ago, one day I woke up nearly 100 lbs heavier. My BMI is 36 and I've tried it all, I was even vegan for several years.
I started out this journey with the intent of getting the band...changed my mind to the sleeve. I'm self pay, so I'm not having to go through the insurance fiasco. I've done all the required work ups (labs, EKG, nutritionist, psych eval, etc) just waiting on my pre-surgery appointment which isn't until July 7th which is kind of a bummer-I won't get my surgery date until after that appointment.
Good luck to you all, I'm excited I finally made up my mind to make this change!

Sleep Apnea

Well crap. The sleep clinic just called with my sleep study results and I do have Sleep Apnea. I'm so surprised! I guess I'm doing all of this right in time!

Omg. Photos.

Well here's the before. I was horrified when I saw these...taken just a couple days ago. You see yourself in the mirror everyday....yet it's so much worse in pictures. Ugh.

Getting Sleeved next Wednesday, 7/15!!

So excited to get my surgery date! I just have to go on a low calorie, low carb diet until the day before surgery and then only liquid the day before.

Today's the Day!

Getting sleeved at 11am Pacific time! The nerves have finally hit.

Sleeved!

I've been sleeved for about 7 hours and so far so good. I woke up in some pain, but they got it under control, I'm asking for the narcotics on schedule whether I need them or not. I've walked several times, first time I got really nauseous, but better now. My 1 ounce of fluids is going down well, it takes me about 20 minutes to get it down. Having some gas pains in my chest and if that's the worst of it I'll take it!

5 days post op...

Wellllll....it's been tough. I think I must have still been high on anesthesia during my last post. I forgot to mention that during my VSG they also fixed a hiatal AND umbilical hernia. So I'm still in some pretty significant pain. I went home the following morning after surgery and the first two days were really rough. I slept most of those two days and took my pain killers every 4 hours on the dot and the idea of Tylenol and Advil was a joke. Getting all my fluid and protein in is difficult, but gets better everyday. Today I managed to get down about a 1/2 cup of tomato soup....it took over an hour. I'm still at only one protein shake a day, I really need to work on that. I tried yogurt tonight. No. Not happening yet. Just no.
Oh! And I've lost 12 lbs.
Happy sleeving everyone!

2 weeks Post Op

I get to start puréed foods today! I decided to start with retried beans. I put a little laughing cow cheese in there and some Tapatio. They went down fine, but wow I feel stuffed and I probably had about 4-5 teaspoons....not tablespoons.
I've lost 23 lbs since surgery and I have 67 to go. I'm sure my weight loss will slow now that I get some real food, that's okay as long as my weight is moving in the right direction.
Drinking has gotten easier, I can take bigger sips of water without having that nasty chest pain. If I never drink another protein shake again that would be fine with me. Going to TRY to get my protein through food....we'll see how that goes.
I hope everyone is doing great out there in the sleeve world!

3 Weeks Post Op

I had my 3 week follow up visit today. I've really been struggling with food. I can eat about an ounce and get sick and can't eat any more. I'm under 200 calories a day. Water isn't a problem, getting my fluids in fine. Protein shakes are a major problem, 8 ounces takes me 4-5 hours to get down so I've been avoiding them altogether. So my surgeon put me back on liquids only, she wants me to have an ounce of whole milk every 15 minutes and 2 protein shakes. I tried soooo hard today. I've managed half of a cup of milk and one shake which took me a little over 4 hours. I go back in a week to see how this goes.
For the numbers...I've lost 27lbs since surgery, my BMI is now 32.5.
Happy sleeving everybody!

One Month Post Op

I set a goal for myself to lose 30 lbs by my one month post op, and today I hit EXACTLY 30 lbs! This week I finally feel "normal." The first 3 weeks of this journey were really rough, sick all the time, couldn't eat, the only thing I was tolerating was water. I woke up one day this week and felt great! My left side pain was just suddenly gone and I was able to eat without getting nauseous. I'm keeping food pretty simple/boring. Lunch meat, cottage cheese, hot dogs-I can eat almost a half. I tried some kale salad last night and I seemed to tolerate it fine. I've been wanting to add some veggies to the diet. I've been craving orange juice like crazy, but I've refrained. Not sure what that's all about, I've never been a juice drinker.
Hope everyone is doing well!

2 Months Post

Well the weight loss has slooooooowed. I was in a 2-3 week stall, that was beyond frustrating. But I'm starting to lose again and I'm down 36 pounds. My personal goal was to hit 40 at the 2 month mark, pretty close.
I started out in a tight size 18 and now I'm in a comfortable 14. I have 54 lbs to my final goal. Which seems so attainable now, when I knew I had to lose 90 it seemed impossible.
My eating is pretty boring, which is good I guess. I have an egg for breakfast, protein and salad for lunch, and more meat and veggies for dinner. For snacks I usually have some almonds and a string cheese.
I made the mistake of having a bite of rice about a week ago. Horrible, horrible pain followed. I won't be doing that again!
I need to increase some physical activity! I've been bad about that.
So things are going pretty well, hoping I'm out of the dreaded stall!!!

3 Month Post Op

I had my 3 month visit today with my surgeon and I've lost 42 lbs, I was thinking it would have been more by now, but she assured me that I am right on track. According to their goal I only have 34 lbs to go! My goal says 48 to go, so we'll just see where I fall.
I've noticed much more energy, no lower back pain, all around good mood which has me back to taking care of myself-new fun haircut, clothes that fit, (no baggy shirts and pants trying to hide myself), and I'm doing my hair and make up more:)
Also had a little ego boost while leaving my appointment today...a man was chatting with me in the parking garage and said, "By the way, you're extremely beautiful." I was completely caught off guard and thought "he can't be talking to me." It has been ages since I've gotten a compliment from a complete stranger! I'll take it!
Anyway, everything is good. Food is boring, still a lot of things I can't eat comfortably - rice, bread, potatoes. So I don't and just stick to mostly meat, cheese, veggies.
I hope everyone is doing well on their journeys!

8 month post op

I know I haven't posted an update in a while, but everything is amazing! I've lost about 70 lbs, I'm 10 lbs away from goal. I still struggle a bit with eating, it's almost a chore now...I'm really never hungry. Just wanted to give a little update and post an updated pic. Life is good, absolutely no regrets having the VSG.
Portland Bariatric Surgeon