22 Years Old, 34J, Hoping to Relieve Back Pain! - Portland, OR

My breast reduction is next Thursday (9/15), and...

My breast reduction is next Thursday (9/15), and I'm so excited! I have constant back pain which a year of physical and massage therapy hasn't resolved. I'm really hoping this will make a difference.
I've have big boobs since I was very young, and they have always been such a nuisance. They have caused me so much physical pain, and I really struggled with body image when I was young because of their large size.
I seriously can't wait to fit into regular bras!!! No more ugly beige minimizers for me! My PS thinks the smallest he will be able to get me is a C cup. I've told him I want to be as small as possible (within the realm of safe, of course). I was looking at bras the other day and a C cup seems so small! Can't wait!

Really the only thing I'm worried about is when the time comes to go back to work. My job is relatively physical (I'm a nanny), and I'm worried about hurting myself lifting the two year old. I'll have about two weeks off, but I'm worried that won't be enough. Anyone have experience with how long it took you to be able to keep up with a toddler???

Pre Op Appointment

I had my pre op appointment today over the phone. Nothing super exciting, we basically just went over some basic info I already knew (either from my initial appointment or from the millions of reviews I've read!).

The only question I had was about what to expect if I'm in my period the day of surgery (which is likely, unfortunately). She said just to wear a pad and to not worry about it so that was good to hear.

I'm definitely starting to feel nervous now that I'm so close to the finish line. But mostly I'm just excited!

I've added a few more before shots to look back on after my surgery. Had to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover up my tattoos since I'd like to keep this as anonymous as possible!
They are in black in white cause I'm classy like that ;)

Taking pictures of your boobs is hard!!

More before photos!

These didn't attach to the last post. Oops!

Before Pictures

Gonna try one more time to upload these! What am I doing wrong???

bummed and a little annoyed

I got a call yesterday saying that my surgeon was no longer available on the 15th, and that my surgery would have to be moved to the 19th.
I'm slightly annoyed because it was difficult for me to work out rides for the day of, and my post op appointments, and now I had to do it all over again. I feel so bad because people had postponed vacations and taken off work to drive me! It also means I have four less days to recover, and I'll have to go back to one of my jobs after 5 day (ugh).

Is being rescheduled like this normal?? I felt a little blind sighted when I got the call so I didn't ask many questions.

Question

I was wondering how many days other people waited before driving after surgery? I'm just curious about how many rides I should try and plan out ahead of time!

starting to feel a little nervous

Today I got a call today telling me what time I need to arrive for my procedure, and it made it all feel so much more real. My surgery is in four days!! I'm starting to feel a little more anxious and nervous and the day gets closer, but I'm also more and more excited as each day passes.

Could anyone else who's had a BR tell me how they were feeling after 4/5 days? Were you able to drive yet?

Added another before photo for comparisons after!

Tomorrows the Day!

It's finally happening tomorrow! I feel incredibly nervous and excited.
Honestly my biggest worry is having an IV put in. I've had some pretty negative experiences having blood drawn/getting IVs in the last year, and now I have a lot of anxiety about it. Hopefully it's not too terrible!!
Any suggestions on helpful things to have packed in my bag?

Amazed!

Today was the day, and I feel like a could cry happy tears. Everything went so smoothly, and I am so happy with the results. Here are a few pictures. I'll definitely take a bunch more later, but I just got home and I'm feeling totally exhausted.

Side note, I was totally in love with both my nurses, and it was sad to say goodbye! They both have gotten breast reductions so it was great to hear their advice.

More Details!

Everything went so incredible well today!

I was mostly nervous about getting an IV but she got me on the first try, which I've never done before (last time it took six tries). I did try and roll over before I was totally knocked out right before surgery which pulled it out, so they had to place it in my other hand. But I don't remember any of that!

I felt so sleepy for quite a while after I woke from anesthesia, but it's mostly worn off now. I was in surgery for about 4 hours and recovery for about an hour and a half.

The pain is not great, but could be so much worse. They just feel really swollen and tender, with a little bit of a pinching feeling here and there. My right definitely hurts more, I have almost no pain in the left! I have all internal stitches, and then just some surgical glue on the outside so I'm already able to see the incisions and they look great.

I can't wait until I'm feeling well enough to try on some of the little bras I got! Also I'm excited to see how much better my old clothes fit now!

Last one for the night!

The compression on my surgical bra was too much, and so I switched into one of the soft little bras I bought and feel much better. The surgical bra straps were definitely making my neck hurt too! I still can't believe these little boobsare mine!

God, my nipples are throbbing! I just took two pain pills and hopefully they kick in fast!

More Pictures

Okay just a few more. I really wanted to try and get at least one shot of one the day of, but this was the best I can do.

I can't believe my boobs used to go down to those lines. Looking forward to the stomach bloating going away!

My pain seems to be getting a little worse, and getting up to pee totally exhausts me and makes me feel dizzy/nauseated. Heading to bed now!

Sore Collarbone

My collarbones (especially on the left side) are super sore/tender. Has anyone else experienced this? This seems so odd since it's not anywhere near the incisions!

Still feeling super nauseated. I think it's from the OxyContin. It's fine if I'm laying down, but by the time I get back into bed every time I pee I'm a sweaty dizzy mess and I have to try really hard not to throw up. Thank god for Zofran because that helps a little!

Shower Time

My PS said I could take a shower today, so I decided to go for it. The pain meds I'm taking make me feel pretty week and nauseated so I only lasted a few minutes before I needed to get out. I just let the water hit my back and roll over my shoulders on to my boobs like the doctor suggested and it didn't hurt at all like I was afraid it would.

It was also the first time I've really seen the incisions. Since I don't have bandages/tape I could really see everything which interesting. The shape is definitely odd, but I know that they will relax over time. My stomach still feels and looks so bloated and I can't wait for that to go down, it's making me crazy!

Made it through the first day.

This morning started out rough, but I started feeling much better throughout the day! I could hardly walk to the kitchen and back in the morning, and by 7pm I was up and moving around so much better. My girlfriend and I walked to the store, and I had to go pretty slow, but it was about a 15 block walk and I felt great. It was also nice to get out of the house. I took a second shower before bed because I felt kind of sweaty and gross from walking.

Still feeling really bloated and haven't had a BM since before surgery so I've started adding miralax into my water. Fingers crossed that helps!

scoline pain

I think the bad pain in my upper chest is scoline pain. Apparently it's pretty common for young women, and goes away in 2/3 days. It is so uncomfortable though! My actual boobs/incisions hardly hurt at all, but my upper chest feels awful. I've been using ice and heat on it, but it hasn't helped much. I'm really hoping since I'm on day two it will go away soon!

Still haven't had a BM, hopefully today is the day. Fingers crossed!

What I Would Do!

I still haven't had a BM since Monday morning before surgery. I seriously feel so gross and bloated. I've been taking miralax but it hasn't helped move things along. I just got back from the store where I got some probiotic yogurt, and a some kind of natural laxative. I'm really hoping this works, cause I'm feels so gross!!

My boobs are feeling pretty great though! They are starting to get a little itchy on the sides, but nothing terrible yet. The bruising has gone down quite a bit which I'm happy about. I really want to try and get some good pics today since I haven't really done that yet!

Post Op Day 3

My entire body besides my boobs hurts (so weird). I'm feeling weirdly emotional and sensitive(emotionally) as well. A family friend said she felt the same after surgery so it's nice to know I'm not alone at least.
My whole body aches so bad though, my hips hurt so much it's hard to stand/walk but I'm trying to go on little walks around the neighborhood at least a few times a day.

On a more positive note, swelling and bruising is going down! I showered earlier, and afterwards I noticed a small spot on my nipple was bleeding a little, but it stopped fairly quickly. My stomach is so bloated that it's almost funny!

Can't wait for things to get easier.

I hate being so negative, but god, today has been really rough.
I went for a walk with my partner earlier, and was having such a hard time keeping my emotions under control. About five minutes into our walk I just burst into tears.
Then as we walked back from getting lunch I threw up and felt like I was going to pass out. I was so tired I felt like I wouldn't make it home. It was definitely my worst walk so far, which was unexpected because I had been doing so well! I think the anesthesia really did a number on me. My joints and muscles are in so much pain, and none of my painkillers are helping with it. My hips hurt so bad that it's hard to stand/walk for more then a few minutes.
I know it's going to get better soon, but it's just so hard when it's just been getting worse each day. I know once I'm all healed though this will all be worth it. If only that made me feel better right now!

Wild Ride

I definitely got a lot worse before I started feeling any better. Thursday night I was probably the most miserable I've ever been. My doctor upped my pain meds but it made me feel so awful, and on top of that my body hurt everywhere because of the anesthesia. My girlfriend said I was saying nonsense all night, and there were definitely a lot of tears (which is unusual for me). Friday morning i FINALLY had a BM which was such a relief because it was causing me a lot of anxiety. Friday during the day wasn't great, but I started feeling better at night. Today I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm off the pain meds they gave me, and I'm just taking tylenol. Bruising is going down, and they definitely are looking better and better each day. The mood swings are also calming down (thank god). Hopefully I can get some pictures today, I've been way too tired the last few days to get any.

Post Op Day 5

They are so green/yellow! The pictures really don't do it justice, it's so bizarre!!

Shoulder Tightness

Has anyone else experienced extreme tightness in their shoulders/neck after their reduction? Mine will feel fine, but then if I do something with my arms for a few minutes they get so tight! I'm really hoping I can see my massage therapist soon even if I can only lay on my back!

Progress!

I've definitely turned a new leaf. I made it all day without a nap! I also drove for about five minutes which was amazing. It was nice to feel like I'd gained back a little independence back. Little bits are starting to flake off on my incisions and its looking pretty good underneath! I didn't see much improvement in the swelling/bruising department today, but you win some you lose some!
I'm going to attempt sleeping in just a tshirt and no bra tonight because my bras were kind of irritating my incisions (my PS said I didn't need to wear a bra at all post op if I didn't want to).
Also, my T junctions are starting to look like Ts and not Ys which is great! I'm really looking forward to seeing the final shape my boobs end up!
Portland Plastic Surgeon

So far my experience with Reid Mueller and OHSU has been pleasant!