23 and Scheduled for July 2016! - Philadelphia, PA

So last week I finally decided to schedule a...

So last week I finally decided to schedule a consultation for a breast reduction. I want to lose weight so badly but I can't do anything for any extended period of time without my back hurting due to my breasts. I called a surgeon that a friend recommended to me and his secretary scheduled my consultation for June 22 (I will be out of town for the next two weeks or I'd ask to have it sooner). She asked for my birthday, insurance and name over the phone but that's it. I told her that I would like to get it done as soon as possible and so I asked her how long patients typically have to wait between their consultation and surgery dates, to which she responded that she will put in a tentative surgery date of JUNE 30th! Has anyone every heard of getting surgery that soon after a consultation with the approval of insurance? I assumed that she knew what she was talking about and knows if it is possible with my type of insurance (BCBS), but I'm a little but worried I'll be turned down or have to wait longer. I have my heart set on June 30th now and anything later will feel like torture.

Consultation Day!

I met with a surgeon today and he was so sweet and reassuring and completely answered all of my questions. He said that I am an ideal candidate for the surgery and that I may hear back from my insurance as early as Monday or Tuesday and could possibly then schedule my surgery for the end of next week or the week after if all goes well. He assured me that my breasts would not be too small if I lost a significant amount of weight post-surgery, but that he would still like the make sure they are big enough that I would still be shapely after losing weight. He said he has done over 8,000 of these surgeries and so the insurance companies get back to him very quickly because they know that he is not lying when he says a patient needs a reduction. He really made me feel comfortable and never once made me explain why I needed a breast reduction because he knew that the size of my breasts, as well as the asymmetry between them, would obviously be painful and a hindrance to my everyday activities, as well as exercise. Overall I'm extremely happy with how today went and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to schedule my appointment for a week from tomorrow!

Scheduled!

So I just received a call from my doctor's office saying that my insurance approved the surgery (it has been 6 days since the doctor sent my information in). I'm relieved that it was just as easy as my doctor said it would be to get the approval, but I'm annoyed that I will have to wait until July 14th for the surgery. That's only two weeks away but I have school in August and wanted to have surgery as soon as possible. They assured me several times that I could get in as soon as this week or next week. I even called yesterday to ask if there were still openings for at least next week and the woman I spoke to kind of had an attitude and acted like it was a ridiculous question to ask if the doctor was booked for any extended period of time. Yet apparently he is.... Oh well, at least I have some time to prepare and try to lose some weight before surgery. One thing I'm also annoyed about in terms of the surgery date is that I will be on my period at that time. This may be a dumb thing to worry about but does anyone know if they allow you to wear underwear and a pad/tampon during surgery? What exactly do you wear in surgery?

Surgery went well

I had surgery on Thursday (it's now Sunday) and I am only just now able to write this review because I've been so sore that it hurts to type. My worst day so far was definitely the day after surgery because I just felt out of it and sore, but today has also been a bad one. It's so hot out and my bra just feels like it's getting tighter and tighter because of the swelling, as well the hard pieces of gauze that are shoved under my breasts. I'm assuming they are hard because they were wet with blood and fluid, but I haven't been able to get a good look because the nurses at the hospital told me not to remove the bra or play with it until I go for my first check up on Wednesday. I'm just so uncomfortable and I feel huge. For whatever reason, the bra they have me in has lace/frilly details around the edges, which is cutting into me and irritating me. The bra feels so tight around my ribs that I feel like I can barely breathe. The first day I came home from surgery the bra felt very loose, so I can only assume that I'm extremely swollen or full of fluid at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to get the swelling to go down? I still have three more days until I can go to see the doctor and get out of this bra.

Help!!

So I am currently about 2.5 weeks post-op and I have some open wounds under my breasts. The skin around them is red so I'm not sure if it's an infection or not. has anyone else experienced something similar?