Everything I Have Hoped For.... - Paducah, KY

Hi everyone, I am 53, have lost 110 lbs in the...

Hi everyone, I am 53, have lost 110 lbs in the past 2 years, and my breasts didn't really shrink all that much with the weight loss. I knew they probably wouldn't. I have been busty since puberty, more so after childbirth. My pre surgery bra size was 36J. Looking at them now, I am expecting a small C after the swelling is gone. The outcome is everything I had hoped for, and I bet that it can only get better once I am fully healed. I am very pleased with my surgeon, Dr. Daniel Tkach of Paducah, KY.

8 days post op

Had bandages removed on the 8th day post op, will have stitches out 4/28. Will update after that.

3/4 view 8 days post op

at 3 weeks

Hi all, Healing is going very smoothly. Swelling is going down a little each day, itching is intermittent and I took Benadryl a few times when it was intense at the beginning. Quick and sharp zingers happen at random, just nerve endings reconnecting, I really didn't have much actual pain beyond the first day or so. More achy and sore than anything else, but definitely manageable. My doc doesn't use drains or dissolving sutures. Stitches were removed at 2 or so weeks. Sensation has returned completely to my left nipple and partially to my right. I have patchy numbness on the rest of the breast skin. I am totally overjoyed with my results. At first I thought I may be a C cup, but I think it will be more like a D. No problem with that at all. Almost immediately I could feel the pressure off of my neck, shoulders and back. I stand straighter and carry myself totally differently. I love the way I look in clothes, and the fact that I can wear things I have never been able to in all of my adult life. This has been a huge boost to my self confidence as well. I only wish I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. Looking back on the process of planning and researching Breast Reduction, I made a discovery by hindsight; finding the Doctor that is right for you is key to not being overwhelmed with all the what ifs. I think that doing homework about all the benefits and risks is crucial, just be careful to not cause yourself undue stress by trying to prepare for so many variables, that may or may not come up in your process. I learned to take the lead from my Doc to deal with problems only if they occur. IE worries about scarring caused me to waste money items I wouldn't necessarily need. I told my Doctor about this and he kindly pointed out that I should fix a problem unless I know I have one, Again, faith in your physician and his/her experience is key. I stopped asking everyone else questions that should have been primarily answered by my Doc. Yes knowledge is good, but there is a fine line between being prepared and trying to anticipated what may or may not happen. I am blessed that ins paid for this procedure, and that I found the right doc for me. Take care and nice to meet you.

almost forgot...

820 grams removed from one, 630 from the other.

UPDATE 2.5 years post breast reduction

I had breast reduction 2.5 years ago. This is an overdue update of my healing. Honestly, this surgery is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I am so pleased with the outcome. I believe so much had to do with the choice of surgeon. I have complete sensation in both nipples. I did consult with 4 plastic surgeons. 3 of them told me with me certainty that because my notch to nipple measurement was greater than 40cm, that I would not be able to avoid a free nipple graft. It was explained to me that a free nipple graft would render me with no sensation and could end up in nipple loss. Dr. Tkach, my PS, told me that he'd only had to do a handful of free nipple grafts in his 25 years experience, stating that he would take as much time in the OR as needed (my surgery was 5 hours long) to preserve the blood vessels and nerves in order to insure that I wouldn't lose my sensation, let alone the nipples themselves. He assured me that it had everything to do with careful technique, and that he had very few complications of this nature. He had also explained to me that he could not promise me a specific size because it would depend quite a bit on how much fibrous tissue there was to work with in my breasts. He removes the fat and leaves the firm tissue. He could only tell me that I would be perky, I certainly did turn out perky, I still am :) I did alot of research on this surgery and especially on this surgeon. I felt confident that he was the right choice. I am SOOO glad I followed my instincts. Everything he told me turned out just as he had assured me it would. The only thing I had issue with was my scarring. I tend to keloid, which is exactly what happened. He injected the scars with steroids, and that helped quite a bit. I used silicone tape as well as gel. Overall, my scars have healed pretty well. I do have some hypertrophic scarring at the outside ends of the long incisions. I have thought about scar revision, but really they're not very visible and don't cause discomfort. Before I had my surgery, I lost 115 lbs, and I have unfortunately gained about 40 lbs back. I am pleased to say that my breasts have not grown back with that weight gain. No sagging or drooping at all. Again, I attribute that to the technique he used. I am so pleased with the outcome. I started out as a 36D after the initial swelling went down. Now I am wearing a 38D. No more neck or shoulder pain, I can go without a bra if I want to. I have the breasts of a woman many years younger than my age. I would do it again in a heart beat. Dr. Tkach has a great track record. He is in Paducah, KY. But whoever you pick, do your homework, and follow your gut. Good luck to you, also if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

additional pics

Paducah Plastic Surgeon

Very nice Doc, years of experience, very confident, great reputation, meticulous surgeon. Thanks Dr. Dan!