Finally Getting my Hairline Lowered! - Oakland, CA

Hello, Real Self Community! I am going to get my...

Hello, Real Self Community! I am going to get my hairline lowered on June 20, 2016 with a Dr. Kabaker and I am so excited for this day to come! So, I have always had an enormous forehead. I was actually completely oblivious to the size of my forehead until high school came around. Kids teased me about the size of my forehead and this is when I began to wear side bangs. I've had the same hairstyle for what feels like a million years now and I am so sick of it. I hate being limited to just one particular hairstyle. I would love to pull my hair back without even thinking twice about it. I would also love to have a friendly relationship with the wind for once;) lol. although I am super excited to get this procedure done; I do have a few concerns. One, being that I have extremely thin hair! I'm afraid even after getting the procedure done, I will still end up having a high hairline due to the shock from surgery. I just don't want to be disappointed with my results. Another concern is that I scar very easily. You will see in the photos I will post, old acne marks that have never faded. If anyone that has had this procedure done can share their experience about hair loss and scarring, I would greatly appreciate it! I've already had my consultation with Dr. Kabaker, which I will write about in another post:)

So I had my consultation on 5/10/16 I believe. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the time to write about my experience. I remember scheduling my surgery date a week after my consultation and thinking that 6/20 was so far and how it's going to feel like a very long wait. I seriously can't believe how fast the rest of May and June went. My surgery day is only 5 days away! I don't think it has really hit me until now, haha. Anyways, so when I first walked into the office the lady at the front desk had me fill out some paperwork. While we were waiting my mom was looking around/inspecting the office lol. She's a little on the overly protective side and didn't agree about me wanting the surgery, but she still supports my decision and will be there to take care of me:) anyways, a few minutes afterwards, I was taken back into a room. The doctor came in and kind of just swooped my bangs out of my face and started messing my head lol. He moved the skin on my scalp back and forth to see if I had enough elasticity for the one stage procedure, which I did...thank god! I asked him about my concerns, mainly my thin hair, scaring, length of recovery and how many centimeters he can take out. He drew two lines on my forehead. First one was way too high. It still looked like I would have had a big forehead the second one was lower and slightly better. I told him I like the lower line better and he said that everyone says that lol. If possible I would want it lowered just a little more, but only if it's safe to do so. The Dr. asked if I wanted to see a video of how the procedure was performed, which I certainly did but I was afraid that it would totally disturbed my mom lol. Surprisingly, she was really interested after watching the video and seeing a whole bunch of pictures. The video was super helpful in understanding how the procedure is done step by step. After the video we talked about a few other things and I asked to see photos of previous patients that had a similar forehead to mine. He found one woman who's forehead looked identical to mine and her results were amazing! It really made me feel good once I saw that. We also discussed me getting a hair transplant in the near future and that's about it. Hope this update was somewhat helpful!

Any last minute advice?

My surgery is tomorrow (Ahhh so crazy!) if anyone happens to have any last minute advice before I go in (11:00am) I'd really appreciate it! I've never had any kind of surgery before so this is definitely a new experience for me. I'm wondering what others have used on their scar to lighten it overtime and also how you covered your stitches when in public. I'm scheduled to go back to work on Thursday; three days after surgery. Hopefully, it's enough time off. I'm also wondering when I can workout lol. I live a pretty active lifestyle so not going to the gym is going to be difficult for me. I'm sure I will get my questions answered tomorrow but really, any advice is very much appreciated!!! Thanks guys:)

Goodbye Fofo, it's been real

Saying my last goodbyes to my fofo...I won't miss you at all! Lol So I went to bed without a problem last night. I wasn't experiencing any nerves or even thinking about the surgery that much, but man, this morning I woke up at 5am with butterflies in my stomach. I'm so ready to just get there and get it over with! I mean... I am practically ready (at 6am lol). I washed my hair and braided it last night. I didn't put any products in my hair just because I want it to be as clean as possible. Also, no makeup this morning so I'm going to walk in the office looking a little crazy and probably even more crazier when I leave lol. But anyways, I should probably watch a movie to kill time. Yeah, I think that's what I will do. Okay, bye! =p

Hey everyone, so I arrived at the office around 11:00ambut didn't get taken back until 12:15pm. One of the nurses (jonovana I think is her name) took me back and gave me instructions on everything I needed to know. She was amazibg, super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. After that Dr. Kabaker came in with two other doctors, which I believe were in training bc they just observed and that's it. He let me draw my ideal forehead line which was too low for him to go bc of the elasticity I had so he drew a line above it and I actually liked it. He said he will try his best to get lower if he could. After the lines were drawn on the other Dr. gave me Xanax to calm to down and then I was taken to the operating room which was very comfortable. Nurse Jonovana and I talked a lot about random things until it was time for her to knock me out lol. She gave me a shot on my shoulder to get me sleepy then started an IV to get me even more sleepier. I think the last thing I might have said was that I wanted pizza and then I went night night lol. When I woke up I was very drowsy. I was taken to another comfy room until my mom got there to pick me up. When we finally made it home, I started to feel pain on my neck and the bottom of head so I quickly ate something small and took two pain killer with a nausea medication and again kocked out. I just woke up about 15 min ago ( 11:50pm) I ate again something small and I'm planning to take another pain med so I can sleep well tonight. Well, that's about it for now. Im going tomorrow morning to get my bandages removed and cleaned. Can't wait to see my results. Until tomorrow, goodnight everyone.

Day 2 post-op

Hey everyone, So this morning I woke up around 5am with a lot of pain around my incision so I went downstairs to have a small breakfast since I can't take the pain meds on an empty stomach. On my up the stairs I felt SO nauseated and light headed. I could only eat half of my oatmeal and took my pain meds and went back to sleep. I woke up around 10:30am and made it to Dr. Kabaker's office around 11:15am. The doctor came in and asked how I slept. I told him last night was rough and this morning I felt sick but that I was feeling better now. I told him I was also having pain in my neck and that I'm super tender around the top of my head. He said all of that is normal and to continue taking my meds. The nurse came in and they both started to clean my incision. They let me look at my results and you guys...I am so happy with it! I originally was 9cm and he brought it down to 6cm so he was able to lower it to 3cm. He said that it was definitely a struggle to get the last few millimeters out and that he had to really work on stretching my scalp so he wasn't surprised that I was really sore. After they cleaned me up (which was kind of painful bc my head is so tender right now) they covered my head with bandages and gave me some ointment to put on my scar tomorrow. As I was saying my goodbyes, I began to feel sick again so the nurse had me lay back down for a few mins then gave me a pill to get rid of the nauseous feeling. I rested a few more minutes then got up and ended up throwing up but feeling wayyyyy better afterwards, haha. I got home around 12:30pm had some soup and slept for a few more hours. Tomorrow I will get to wash my hair so I'm hoping I will be able to post my results then. In the meantime I will post a picture they took in the operating room.

Day 3 post-op

So today I got to wash my hair! I was extremely gentle while doing so. It took me a good 40min just to get all the dried blood out and de tangle my hair. I used baby shampoo and conditioner and let the conditioner sit there while I gently combed my hair. I experienced A LOT of shedding. Sometimes baby chuncks of my hair would fall out which really upset me because I already have such thin hair. I did cry about it, but this was expected,so I'm trying my best to stay positive. I know with proper nutrition and time my hair will grow back again. I'm still extremely swollen but no bruising what so ever. I was told that I can clean my incision with warm water and soap but I'm wondering if I should use hydrogen peroxide as well? They also gave me some ointment cream to put on but I haven't put it on yet bc my mom accidentally took it with her to work. As if now, I am not wearing my bandages since I'm day 3 post-op but I think I'm going to continue to wear my bandages as night bc I do toss and turn a lot when I sleep and I don't want my incision to get irritated. I'm still on antibiotics, arnica and pain meds. Lots of tenderness near the incision line and slight headaches.

Day 7

I can't wait to get my stitches out tomorrow. I'm just wondering if it hurts? I'm still dealing with minor headaches that come and go. The top of my head is completely numb, which feels soooooooo freaking weird especially when I wash my hair. I'm very excited to be able to wear my hair curly. I always thought straight bangs with the rest of my hair curly looked kind of funny to me lol so I'm looking forward to giving my hair a break from all the blow drying and straightening and rocking big curly hair!

2.5 week update

Hey everyone, sorry it's been taking me so long on the updates. I've been busy with work and preparing for school to start in a few weeks. Anyways, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about my forehead yet because it's still so early in the recovery process. At times, I wish that my hairline was slightly lower, but idk if I'm just being too picky. What I absolutely don't like, is how my temples look. They are completely hairless and when I pull my hair back my forehead looks like my old forehead. I'm hoping with time my baby hairs will cover up my temples, which will make my hairline look a lot better. My dream was to be able to wear my hair all back in a high cute bun and I'm not sure if I will be comfortable enough to do that any time soon, which honestly makes me sad. I'm also experiencing some hair loss, but I'm using Rogaine (on my 2nd week) so hopefully that makes a difference. I have to keep reminding myself that my head went through a lot of trauma and that I'm still recovering and I need to continue to be patient with the process. The top of my head is still completely numb and soooooo tender. It's painful when I comb my hair. I have only been combing my hair in the shower with plenty of conditioner. Also, I'm not using any heat on my hair. I've just been wearing my hair culy and treating it with coconut oil and leave in conditioner. The plan is to go completely natural (no heat) for a good 6-8 months, since I've been pulling and straightening my hair all of my life to cover my forehead. It's time to just let my hair rest and grow! I have a follow up appointment next week and I'm going to talk about my concerns with the Dr. Hair transplant is something I'm definitely considering but I don't want to jump too ahead yet. It's still so early.

Using Rogaine once a day on scalp as per instructions from Dr.
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon