Mistake over Mistake- Tattoo Cover Up Regret - New York, NY

About three years ago, I decided to get a small...

About three years ago, I decided to get a small simple tattoo. I made a mistake in going to a questionable tattoo shop to have it done, and ended up with a lumpy scarred mess with a blow out that made my arm look permanently bruised. The artist basically dug trenches into my skin, joking to his coworker about heavy handed he works.

After spending two years waiting for the scar to heal and flatten and I decided to finally go get a cover up so I did not have to feel embarrassed on short sleeves anymore. I was anxious to get it done before the summer started and impulsively decided a cool traditional wolf head should be dark enough to do the trick. I found an artist whose work and style I liked and went and put down a deposit. When I showed up for the appointment I was shocked to see how large the design was- I had expected something half the size. I knew the cover up would have to be larger than the original tattoo but I didn't think that big. He told me it couldn't be any smaller without compromising the design. I also had asked for flowers to be incorporated into the design to make it more feminine but he didn't think it worked, and he made the world hair long and flowing even though I had asked for a super traditional style. I do think it's a cool design and probably would like it on a different person, in a different spot. It was not what I wanted, and too big, but for some reason I decided I would get it anyway. I don't know why I didn't walk out then. There was no pressure. I think I was too anxious to get the other tattoo covered, and didn't want to lose my deposit, and it clouded my judgement. I don't really know. I've spent the last ten weeks attempting to forgive myself and move on with my life.

Like many of the reviewers here I went into a state of shock and regret a couple of days later. I was so depressed and anxious about what I had done to myself that I cried for two weeks. I spent so many days unable to get out of bed, I had anxiety attacks where I could not stop shaking and I kept vomiting even though I wasn't even eating. Tattoo regret is extreme and horrible. And my scarring was still so visible underneath it hardly seemed worth what I had done to myself. I realized having it removed was the only way I could move on with my life. Finding this website and he supportive community on here saved me. It gave me hope that I can get rid of it, and there are people going through the same thing as me, and not everything is hopeless.

I read every review I could find here, and spent every spare minute obsessively researching different types of lasers, the lymphatic system, everything I could get my hands on about the process. I had a consultation a couple weeks after the tattoo, and made an appointment for when it would be 9 weeks old and totally healed.

That appointment was yesterday, and dang!!! It was even more painful than I expected- but also incredibly quick! My tattoo is quite large but still only took two minutes total. They don't use numbing cream or shots at the place I went to, just the cool air machine which did help a bit. My tattoo is very dark and dense so I think this might've added to the pain. I'm expected to need 15 treatments though from what I've seen I would not be surprised if it took more since there is so much ink. Right now I'm thinking I'll give it two years of treatments spaced 2-3 months apart and see how the clearance is before I decide if I want a cover up or to try for full removal. I do like tattoos and have 7 others I love, but I'm not sure if I want a cover up as I think I don't like having anything in that spot.

I had my first treatment with the Revlite nd:yag, but am considering picosure for in the future. I'm not sure if the cost will worth it as I've read mixed things on if he picosure is really any more effective on black ink. If anyone has any advice on that I would really appreciate it!

It's been four days since my first treatment, and I had a lottttt of swelling that is now finally going away, and a bit of blistering but now too bad. I can see some fading in the shading and small dots in the snout- but besides that not much more. I'm hoping to see some more over he next few weeks to give me some hope, and to feel that all the pain and money is worth it.

Thanks for reading, guys.

5 weeks post TX 1

Hi everyone! It's been 5 weeks since my first treatment with the medlite. The photos attached are from last week but it looks the same.

Shading & small dots have pretty much disappeared and there's a bit of brownish hyperpigmentation. You could see that difference immediately after the treatment. Overall the whole tattoo is still very black and doesn't look much different, but I can tell it is very slightly lighter. It looks maybe a year old instead of only 3 months. You can't really see in the pics but there are a few tiny pieces of the outline I can see have started to break. The scarring I had underneath the tattoo has actually flattened out a bit after the treatment, so that's pretty cool!

I know this is going to be a really long difficult process, so I'm trying not to feel too defeated that there's not more fading. I'm hoping to have more obvious results after my next treatment in late October. I just got engaged!!!! So it's kind of a bummer to have to limit myself to long sleeve dresses (I don't wanna have to worry about cover up makeup smudging etc that day). Im trying not to let it make me slip back into depression.

As for the healing process, I didn't get any huge blisters so I was pretty pleased! The treatment was really sore and I had good frosting l, so I expected them. There were lots of tiny blisters over the entire thing- and a couple medium ones with pus. My arm was super swollen for almost an entire week. What I did not expect so much was how raw and dry it felt the whole time, for weeks!! I think having it right in the bend of my elbow made it a bit more sore. My skin has really only stopped feeling dry all the time this week. I used aquaphor, burts bees lotion, and have used bio oil a few times.

Not looking forward to the pain but I can't wait for my next appointment!

Tx 2

Hey guys!
I had my second treatment three days ago (10/14).

This treatment felt more painful- but I think it's because I knew what to expect. The healing has gone a lot easier though- I don't have blisters and the swelling has already started subsiding. Last time I had a couple of those fun big blisters and was swollen for almost a week.

The red still hasn't been treated, only the black. They asked me to come back for a separate treatment for that in three weeks even though I asked to have it done that day. I can't afford another separate treatment so I'm just going to wait and ask them to do the entire thing at once in 8 weeks.

Feeling pretty discouraged at seeing so little change after two sessions, I'm hoping I'm able to see more once my skin heals over. I know it's going to be a very long process. I'm also thinking about looking into another removal clinic outside of NYC as the place I'm going to now is a bit expensive.