Just Started My Invisalign Journey! - Invisalign with a Gap Between Front Teeth (Due to a Missing Incisor)) - New York

This is my first week of Invisalign. I've seen...

This is my first week of Invisalign. I've seen many reviews, but not too many for people who have a gap/multiple gaps. So I'll document my journey. I'm missing one tooth (from when I was 8 or 9) and because of that my teeth spaced out.

Invisalign = 44 weeks (22 trays)
Implant (afterwards) = 5 months

Tray 1 - Wks 1&2 + Why my Invisaligns were so cheap

I know some of you may be wondering why my costs were so low. No, I didn't forget to include the amount insurance paid for because my insurance doesn't cover orthodontics. No, it's not a lie or a scam, it was a Groupon. I'm not sure if I can say the doctor's office it was from, but my advice would be to check out the Groupon deals, get the name of the office and check out reviews on ZocDoc or other similar sites. That's what I did and I must say I've never loved and trusted a dentist so much. Plus, my Groupon came with free whitening cream for my teeth!

So today is actually day 4 of my first tray. Ther was definitely some discomfort initially, but I'm only on the 4th day and it's already significantly improved. As a matter of fact I've kind of grown to enjoy the pressure the trays put on my teeth, and I find myself chewing my tongue to increase it (sick I know!)

Initially when I ate, my teeth were wobbly so my gums felt sore, but I've found that by taking my Invisaligns out 10-15 before I eat help the teeth to re-set within my gums and not feel as sore when I chew.

Which brings me to my next point: taking them out. After playing around and trying different techniques, I find that taking the top tray off from back to front works best (since I have buttons on my two front teeth) and taking my bottom tray off from one side to the other (since I don't have buttons on my front 4 bottom teeth) seems to work best.

* I floss, brush and rinse with mouthwash after everything I eat. I don't eat with them in and I brush the Invisalign trays as well. I'm going to be brushing with Sensodyne for the first two weeks/first set of trays (as recommended by my dentist) because the whitening solution that came with my trays can irritate my teeth if they're too sensitive.

Tray 2 - Wks 3&4

Well so far I'm not noticing much of a difference. I'm sure this is one because by the end of my last tray I no longer felt any pressure, it just felt like I was wearing plastic on my teeth just because.

I put on my new trays today and WHOO did I feel the pressure! Mainly on my left (your right) big tooth (whatever it's called). So I'm sure by the end of these two weeks I should see some change/improvement with that tooth's movement.

Also, these upcoming weeks will be when I also start using the teeth bleaching solution (Opalescence 15%). So I'll update you guys on that as well.

Tray 3 - Wks 5&6

So today I've started my 3rd trays. I haven't experienced much discomfort with this one, but the pressure I do feel is on my left upper incisor and my lower front teeth. I can definitely see my teeth getting whiter with only a few uses of the teeth bleaching cream (I use it once every 2 or 3 days.) I can also honestly say that using the Sensodyne two weeks before I started the teeth bleaching really worked, because I've read about people experiencing irritation of their gums or pain when eating and I haven't experienced any of that. I pretty much still use Sensodyne as my primary toothpaste.

Do I notice a difference in alignment yet? No so much on my upper teeth but I'm seeing my bottom teeth evening out (they were a little uneven).

*Please excuse the quality of this picture, I'm not home so I don't have the same lighting or the same camera. I'll most likely update a better pic when I'm home.

All in all, things seem to be progressing as expected, per the ClinCheck video I've received. Even the pressure I feel lasts only for about 30 minutes and then I hardly notice it.

Also, it's true what they say: after having the Invisaligns for a few weeks your teeth feel naked without them! It's so crazy because I initially remember thinking "how am I going to adjust to this?" But now only a few weeks in and I feel weird (and guilty) when I don't have them on. Point is, if you've just started your journey and feeling like this is going to be impossible, I can assure you that within a few weeks you will experience a complete 180.

Tray 4 - Wks 7&8

Started the 4th trays today. I think I, seeing some improvement. These trays seem to have been focusing on moving my canine tooth back, per the ClinCheck video. I have an appointment to go pick up my next set of 4 trays in 2 weeks, and these trays will begin moving my front incisor.

By the end of tray 7, there will be enough to space to squeeze a skinny version of my missing tooth in, so I can't wait! As the trays move my front incisor over, that space will get bigger and bigger until eventually, I'll have adequate space to get my implant.

I'm not going to lie, I have cheated a few times. Sometimes I'll have a late breakfast at work, so I'll just leave the trays out until I have lunch about 2 hours later and THEN brush my teeth and put them back in. All in all, I do keep my trays on for AT LEAST about 20 hours a day. I don't eat with them in, but I did drink hot chocolate and seltzer water THROUGH A STRAW on my way home from work, and I just brush my teeth and my trays when I got home. Please don't judge me guys haha.

On the plus side, I've also been getting compliments on my teeth so that's very encouraging. I haven't been using the rest of the teeth bleaching cream I have, mainly due to laziness. But I'll try to finish it all before I start my next set of trays.

Tray 5 - Wks 9&10

So I just had my appt for my new set of trays. These definitely feel tight, and I'm feeling the pressure on my top left front tooth. Not much more to add here unfortunately haha, but I'm really excited for tray 7 because that's when the space between my top left front tooth and canine become big enough to have a small tooth in between! It's great reassurance that even though I may not be seeing the progress, it's definitely happening. PS, I'm this pic, I'm wearing my retainers. Stayed tuned!

Tray 6 - Wks 11&12

So I noticed that the gap between my left incisor and my pre molar is almost closed! So that's where all of the movements been happening...I also finally starting to see small movement of my front tooth. I can see that the gap has gotten smaller, even if it's a little bit. I'm so excited for my next set of trays because they will be the first trays that have a mini version of my missing tooth to cover up the space that all this movement made. So far Invisaligns DEFINITELY seem worth it!

Tray 7 - Wks 13&14

Magic tray number 7!!! I've been waiting (not so) patiently for this one because this is where my false/temporary tooth starts.

It looks so cool, I can't wait to watch it grow bigger and bigger as the trays go on and my gaps close. I'm so excited!!!!

Tray 8 - Wks 15&16

One word: WHOA!

I can see the progress on my front tooth now. I compared my teeth now to a picture of how they were before Invisalign and I'm so elated! My tooth has made a lot of movement and it hasn't even really been that long!!

Now I must say, I thought that the 7th tray was going to hurt the most because it was the first tray with the replacement tooth filled in but NO! This 8th tray...next level pain. I don't even wanna take them out that's how much it hurts. But I just grin and bear it; I have a goal to close my gap so...just gotta deal with the pain. I put them on before I went to sleep last night and I woke up with it feeling much better but still. I'm sure that by the time Monday rolls around I will be fine though.

I must say though, the pain is worth it so far!!!

Tray 9 - Wks 17&18

So sorry I'm late guys! It's been hectic this past week...

The good news is, I'm seeing AMAZING progress omg...the gap between my front teeth has shrunken so much and the gap between my incisor and my left front tooth has grown (as it should since I'm getting an implant.) I've included side pics as well so you can see what I mean. I'm so happy!

Tray 10 - Wks 19&20

I know I haven't updated you guys in 4 weeks so you may be thinking "how can you only be on Tray 10? Shouldn't you be on Tray 11?" Well let me explain. Before when I was posting updates, I was posting them every two weeks but naming them after the new tray... So I would name the update "Tray 8 - Wks 15&16" but that was when I just put on tray 8, so the pictures I uploaded were really from "Tray 7 - Wks 13&14". So I decided to begin posting updates at the end of each tray and naming them accordingly. So yes technically I am on Tray 11, but I just put them on this morning. I just finished Tray 10, so the pictures will reflect the progress made by those trays.

Everything is still going great so far. Tray 10 was pretty tight but not as bad as Tray 8. I'm not able to touch the gums between my two front teeth with my tongue anymore, so I know for certain that serious progress has been made.

Tray 11 - Wks 21&22

These past two weeks have been pretty easy. It's almost like these were resting trays for the last tray being so tight. Haven't sent much improvement with these trays because of it, but I'm still very optimistic regarding the end results!

Tray 12 - Wks 23&24

WOW would you look at the difference! I'm so happy won how far I've come thanks to the Invisaligns I could cry. I can actually SEE how perfect and straight they will be when it's all said and done, my front gap is almost closed! I'm just amazed really.

I've included a side by side of me before Invisalign and me now. Tell me that's it wasn't worth and you'd be crazy. If you're considering Invisalign I would definitely recommend so far!
Dr. YooKyung Park

She is simply amazing. Her and her assistant Debbie have very warm and friendly personalities. I've seen her a few times in the past few months and each visit is amazing. She's very straightforward and honest. I also get a couple of laughs in with her and Debbie while I'm there! Now how many people can say that about their dentist?