55 Year Old. Revision Gyne Surgery. Jury Still out on Success - New York

I have suffered from gynecomastia since puberty....

I have suffered from gynecomastia since puberty. It has always been psychologically painful to take my shirt off in public. It started around age 13, when my father and brothers were working in the yard with their shirts off. I wrestled with the idea of joining them, and so I did. About 2 minutes after joining them, a few neighborhood kids mostly girls came by and began giggling and making comments about my breasts. After all these years, I never forget that experience. That was the day that kickstarted the pain for the rest of my life.

In 2008 (age 48) I had my first gyne surgery. No sense in spending much time describing what happened, but take my word for it that it was not successful. Doc did liposuction only, ignored my requests to even talk about gland removal, and I ended up looking no better than before. I realize I'm the dummy here, but the psychological trauma of a lifetime of embarrassment can push you to desperation and to make bad decisions.

Fast forward to 2016, I finally got up the nerve to try again. I connected with Dr. Jacobs through my recollection of hours and hours of poring over stories and photos of other sufferers on the gynecomastia.org website. Right after my first connection with Dr. Jacobs, I moved quickly for an exam and surgery. I didn't want to lose my nerve to go ahead. Dr. Jacobs was rather confident that he could significantly improve my appearance with his technique and self-developed surgical tools. He also felt sure that the result would be smooth without loose skin, even given my age. As to my weight, I'm average build and weight, 5'9" 160 lbs, without much "fat". A little bit of mid-life pudge around the waist, but otherwise in pretty good shape.

I had the surgery on Feb 23 2016. Pics of before and now 7-weeks post op are attached. I can certainly say that the "mass" of my breasts is a great deal less. Looking much better in shirts. I'm still holding out hope for the appearance. Dr. Jacobs remains confident that my appearance is still a work in progress, ie, that time will take care of the rest. Maybe up to 6 months. So, I'm trying to remain positive and confident as well. I'm not sure I'm ready to take my shirt off in public because of the unevenness, wrinkling, and difference in size left vs right. But I hope to do that this summer (North America) as we celebrate my daughter's upcoming wedding with a mini-vacation celebration.

In the end, I feel that if 6 months down the road we haven't achieved what we had anticipated, I'll see Dr. Jacobs again to find out what follow up procedure he might be able to do to clean things up. I didn't feel confident with my doctor from 2008 to do that, but I am totally confident doing so with Dr. Jacobs.
New York Plastic Surgeon

I have great confidence in Dr. Jacobs given his experience and history.