Lost 200 Lbs Finally Got my Tummy Tuck After Waiting 5 Years! - Morehead City, NC

I hope you have your reading glasses on! Haha! So...

I hope you have your reading glasses on! Haha! So 6 years ago I made a decision - the decision to change my life for the better. I weighed just under 400 lbs and was only 26. I had carried around all of that weight for far too long. Life in general was hard, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being winded for 15 minutes. I couldn't walk for more than 10 minutes without my back screaming at me - like I said life was hard. So instead of sitting around complaining and wishing things were different, I decided to make it different. I started going to the gym and eating super healthy. I completely removed processed food, carbs, soda and sugar (except for natural sources such as fruit and veggies) from my diet. I went to the gym religiously 6 days a week for 2 hours a day. Long story short, a year later I had shucked 215 lbs. And before you ask, no I didn't have gastric bypass or any type of weight loss surgery. All it took was a little, okay well maybe a lot of hard work and dedication. After the initial weight loss I focused on weight lifting, circuit workouts and I found Krav Maga. 6 months later I had gained 15lbs in muscle. I looked leaner, and felt better than ever. A year after that I became a personal trainer and Krav Maga instructor. Hey, the fat girl becoming a personal trainer and KM instructor?! Who would have ever thought that was in my future? Not me that is for sure. But, sometimes life throws you unexpected surprises that end up being just what you needed. That is what being a personal trainer and Krav Maga instructor have been to me - an unexpected surprise that was exactly what I needed. I think it is my one true calling in life - helping people find their way; whether it is through leading a healthier life or learning to defend themselves.

So for the past few years I have trained in Krav Maga, taught Krav Maga, spent several hours at the gym training and several more hours training clients. End of the day it didn't matter how much I trained, how much time I dedicated to working out, how many sit ups, planks and abdominal exercises I did, how healthy I ate - I just felt fat. Funny right? I dropped 200 lbs and still felt fat. Why? Because all I saw every time I looked in the mirror or at a picture of myself was this discusting skin hanging off my stomach. My arms were tone, my legs were tone, and somewhere under all that excess skin hanging off my belly I was sure I had a 6 pack - but that didn't matter. The skin was what mattered. Honestly I felt more comfortable with my body before I lost the weight than I did after. I know that might not make a bunch of sense, but it's the truth. Before I didn't sag, before my skin didn't hang down to the floor when I did a push up. After the weight loss it did and it was HORRIBLE.

In August I moved to North Carolina and decided I was finally going to get my tummy tuck. Screw it! I was done feeling fat, I was done being grossed out every time I looked in the mirror. I put in the work, and it was time for my body to match up with that work - enough was enough. Settling in took a little longer than I expected and didn't have my 1st tummy tuck consult until the end of September. I saw multiple plastic surgeons who basically all told me the same thing - the only way the skin would go away was to get a tummy tuck. Yep, knew that much.

My consult journey was a nightmare. One surgeon spent 30 minutes pulling and tugging on my skin, telling me that my case was very complicated and he didn't know how much he could help me. He had 4 ladies in the office during my consult, I felt like some kind of circus freak and left his office mortified.

Another surgeon brought his assistant in to go over pictures with me. She was one of the rudest people I have ever met in my life. She shared personal life details about their clients, and only showed me 2 pictures. When I asked to see more pictures and some before pictures (because folks it is really hard to tell how good the after pictures are without seeing the before pictures) and told her I didn't feel comfortable with all the details she was giving me, she got very rude and defensive. After showing me the whopping 2 pictures and proclaiming how wonderful the doctor was she proceeded to tell me that they needed to cut all the way around my back to remove my "back fat". That's funny because the doctor said no such thing. Anyway, after dealing with his assistant whom he referred to as his right hand woman I wouldn't even consider having him do the surgery. I left his office so pissed off I was shaking. Took it upon myself to call and make a formal complaint against her and left a bad review on their facebook page. The next day I had the office manager call me offering to give me $1,000 off the procedure if I removed my bad review - I said no. The next day they called again, offering me $1,500 off. To date they have called me 5 times and have flagged my review for removal 10 times. Now that is a place I would want to work with! NOT.

There were a couple more consults that were pretty inconsequential. Nothing to write home about. The doctors were okay, their staff was okay and that was it.

Insert Dr. Klainer. Ironically, he was the first consult I had. I wanted to have him do my tummy tuck from day 1, but my husband made me promise not to go with the 1st doctor I liked, so I held my end of the bargain and embarked on the horrible consult journey. After I met with all of the other surgeons I immediately called Dr. Klainer's office back. The decision was 99% made at that point, but I asked if they could send me a few more pictures - really just to make the hubby happy. What I got back from Dr. Klainer was an email that said he was not comfortable sending me pictures via email, but he would be more than happy to show me more pictures if I stopped by his office. That email totally sealed the deal. The fact that he wouldn't send them over the internet said a lot to me about his character - I immediately called his office, told his secretary I didn't care about the pictures and that I l wanted to schedule my surgery.

When I went in for my preop, Dr. Klainer showed up with pictures in hand and lots of them. Was absolutely not necessary at that point, as he was going to be my surgeon regardless of what the additional pictures looked like, but he brought them anyway. And that has been my experience with Dr. Klainer since day one - he has continually went above and beyond to make sure I was happy. He never seems rushed, and always has time to answer my questions or return my emails.

The day of surgery I was nervous. Although if you ask my husband or the doctor they may tell you different. Dr. Klainer came in and I was immediately at ease. The way he conducts himself is amazing. He is confident, yet not cocky. Informative yet not condensending. Anyway, he drew some lines on my stomach, told me what he was going to do and that I would wake up with a flat stomach. I wasn't nervous anymore, I was excited. A few hours later I woke up, the doc came to check on me, told me all went well and sent me home. I ended up sending him an email that night - my garment didn't feel right and well yeah. He called me shortly after and told me he would squeeze me into the office the next day to take a look at it. I went in and he said all of the right things and did everything he could to make me more comfortable.

I am currently 3 1/2 weeks post op. All I can say is wow. I definitely picked the right doctor. Dr. Klainer has been a pleasure to work with since day one. He has made this journey way easier than I ever imagined. Has went above and beyond time and time again. I could go on and on about what a great doctor he is, but what you care about is what I cared about pre tummy tuck - the results.

So here ya go-
I am pretty darn flat, still have a little swelling and seem to swell up quite a bit by the end of the day, but I look good. I look better than I thought was possible. Not because of my lack of belief in the doctor - I trusted him and his surgical capabilities 100%. It was because of my situation, because of my body and because I really just didn't think it could ever look this good. Way to prove me wrong doc!

Not only do I look good, but I feel good. I have been at the gym every day this week - gradually trying to get myself back into a routine. Today I did an hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights. Honestly I almost feel like I cheated myself, like I could have done more. But hey, better not to overdo it I guess.

So at this point you darn near know my life story and all that fun stuff. I'll leave you with this - I am beyond happy with my results and I am thrilled with Dr. Klainer - he is the best. If I ever decide I need another plastic surgery I wont have to think about who will do the procedure. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider letting anyone else touch my body. This guy is awesome, and he is a ninja with his surgical capabilities.

If by chance you are reading this - Thank you. I know you say you can't read me, so here ya go: I appreciate everything more than you will ever know. The emails, the phone calls, the time you have taken to see me in the office - thank you for everything . I am happy beyond measure and will be greatful always. You rock, thanks doc!

My clothes fit ????????

4 weeks post op tomorrow and I can finally wear my clothes again. And what's this? Shorts are big! Freaking awesome.

4 weeks

It has been 4 weeks since surgery. Saw the doc for my month check up yesterday and he cleared me to do as I wish. This was my workout for today:

45 minutes on the elliptical, 100 bicep curls, 100 triceps extensions, 100 renegade rows, 100 squats w/weight, 100 lunges w/weight, 100 push ups, 50 inch worms and 100 sit ups. Not bad for 4 weeks post op. Looking forward to getting back into my groove. Hopefully I'm not crying tomorrow.

Almost normal again!!!

It's been almost 5 weeks since my TT. Today is the first day I've really felt like myself. I went to the gym and killed it! Almost back to my pre tummy tuck workout. Here is what I did:

Climbed 600 flights of stairs on the stair machine at level 15 (about 40 minutes)
50 burpees
50 push ups
50 plank jacks
and
200 sit ups

What!!!! I'm back! Soooo excited it hurts. By the way in case I haven't said it... my doctor rocks!

My first post op "Jill Workout"

Yesterday was my first "Jill Workout" day. Why do I call it a Jill workout? Because it was almost up to my expectations - which are pretty high (at least this is what my students tell me. Ha). So here was the workout:

10 to 1 (10 of each, 9 of each, etc.)

- dead lift, bicep, tricep, sprawl
- step up 2 back lunge
- inch worms
- tiger planks
- jump squats
- offline explosive push ups
- Russians
- 1 arm snatches

Then from 1 to 10

Took about an hour and a half, which is longer than I would have liked, but hey I did it. Not too shabby for having my gut cut into a little over 5 weeks ago.

Heading to the gym for an hour of nothing but legs and abs (oh yeah, feel that burn!) and I am going to my boxing class this evening. First boxing class since surgery, super amped! Go big or go home. And well - I would prefer to go big!

Swell hell is real...

So apparently this is what happens when you decide to have a hard core ab day 5 1/2 weeks post Tummy tuck. Look at that swelling! So much fun! Well okay not really. On the bright side I am pain free and feel great - other than that my darn swollen belly.

Essential Oils

I have been crazy swollen since Thursday when I decided it was a good idea to do an hour of ab exercises. Yes, completely my fault. Anyway, I decided to play around with some of my essential oils last night to see if I could reduce some of the swelling. It totally worked! Here is what I used:

Coconut
Arnica
Aloe Vera
Chamomile
Lavender
Clary Sage
Tea Tree

Used the coconut and arnica as a base and then mixed in equal amounts of the rest of the oils.

Happy Turkey Day!

Not much to report. Still have some swelling going on, although not nearly what it was. Back to insane workouts 6 days a week and am able to work my abs without feeling like I'm dying the next day now. Just wanted to say that I'm super thankful for my amazing doctor and my awesome Tummy Tuck. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can wear clothes that fit without feeling fat for once!

People suck.

Yesterday I was looking at a building to rent for my husbands tattoo studio. The guy renting out the building said he wouldn't rent to a tattoo studio because one of his other tenants owns one. Is what it is, no big deal. I handed him one of my cards and told him to give me a call if he changes his mind (I am a personal trainer/Krav Maga instructor). Anyway he told me the space would be perfect for my business. None of this really matters though.

What mattered was the lady standing behind the counter that looked at me and said "you're a personal trainer?" I turned around and said yes, then this flew out of her mouth "Don't you think you are a little big to be a personal trainer?"

Just who in the hell does this chick think she is? I grant you I'm not small (5'9" 180lbs). I'll never be small, and I am okay with that. But I lost 200 freaking pounds. I lost it by myself. Sorted out what worked by myself and have helped numerous people lose weight and get in shape since then. So just who does she think she is to tell me that I'm too big to be a personal trainer? 10 years ago I would have punched her and honestly a part of me still wanted to - but I didn't. What did I do? I walked away feeling beaten, feeling fat and being pissed off.

It's kind of funny. Since my tummy tuck I haven't felt fat at all - officially the first time in my life I haven't felt or been fat. And this stupid female dog goes and says some stupid crap and makes me feel fat again. Thankfully I've got a punching bag in my home gym, because god knows I need to punch something at the moment. I think I'll envision her face on the bag while I punch it.

People suck.

Rant over.

Sweat & Muscles

More insane workouts and what is this? I'm finally starting to get my muscles back. Well I'm getting my arm muscles back anyway. If my abs would do the same that would be awesome!
Morehead City Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Klainer is the best - see above.