Stepping Ahead to a Healthier Me! - Montclair, NJ

I've had weight issues for as long as I can...

I've had weight issues for as long as I can remember but I have never been this heavy. It 1st started to get out of control after my one and only child was diagnosed with autism. I literally ate my way through to acceptance from 205 to 240 pounds.

After I came to accept my son's condition I was able to gain some control of my food intake while I also fought to get my son to be productive despite his autism.

I was able to get down to 180 lbs and I was floating on air! My son was doing well and I was on top of the world with my weight loss.

Then my 84 year old mother who lives with me got sick and once again I ate my way through her recovery. Thank God she's much better and back being her bossy self lol.

Before I could try to get back on track my son suffered some medical setbacks. He was constantly at the dr's, in the hospital, tests, surgeries and I felt like I was on an out-of-control Rollercoaster. So...of course...I ate my way through that stressful time.

Even when my son started doing better, I kept on eating and to this day I'm still eating. I'm now a whopping 262 pounds.
I've tried every diet and medication to try to lose weight but this time it is resistant.
My dr suggested bariatric surgery. He said I had to lose weight soon because if I continued gaining, I would soon be unable to take care of my son and my mom.

That truly scared the crap out of me!

I called the bariatric surgeon's office as soon as I got to my car. I got an appointment for 3 weeks later and by the time I got to my appointment I felt that I knew so much about bariatric surgeries.

I had already decided I wanted the sleeve and the surgeon confirmed that would be his recommendation.

To date I've been to two nutrition classes with one more to go in October. I've had my endoscopy and the results were good. I go for a chest xray and pulmonary function test next week. I also see the cardiologist next week.

With my busy schedule, it's alot to accomplish but I'm going to get it all done.

I have learned so much from this site. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I'm usually a very private person but I felt I had to share my journey here. Thanks for all your support. I'm so excited to becoming the healthier me. I will update accordingly
Montclair Bariatric Surgeon