Former Fatty

Hey guys and gals, I am a 26 year old guy. I...

Hey guys and gals,
I am a 26 year old guy. I started gaining weight when I was young. The weight gain and lack of activities resulted me being an obese kid at the edge of 11. Same lifestyle continued until I was 18. At that point, my brother planned his wedding for the August of 2008. I decided enough is enough and zi need to change this. Main reason was other's comments about how cute snd chubby I was. I hated it. I did not find it funny or cute. I looked at my eldest brother's wedding photos and I was obese. I also realozed that age 18 I can't be much active and enjoy life. Once I got into college, I became friends with a guys whom which is my best friend up to this day. We strated running outside and lifting 4 times a week for 9 months. I started dieting and actually changing my lifestyle. Over the 9 months I lost around 100lbs. No one recognized me at the wedding. That me really proud. I moved back to thr states 6 months after that. I started college in MN and the weight kept creeping back up despite me working out. This had to do with bad dirt and lack of money as a student. Yup. Like that zi regained all thay weight plus some more. In 2011 I graduated from college. I knee what needed to be done. So I started my routine. I knew what needed to be done. I started running 5Ks 4 times a week for 6 months and came down from 250 to 212. I started doing crossfit. With that I dropped the weight down to 192 and gained a lot of muscle mass. I completely changed my eatimg style. No more greasy food. Lower carb and sugary stuff. Protien intake increased dramatically. Due to back injuries I stepped away from Crossfit and resumed lifting. I dropped down to 180 which is my current weight. My legs and upper body are in good shape. Not so much with the stomach.

I researched around and found Dr. Tholen. After many hours of research I made the appointment. I went to it and had a great meeting with Dr. Tholen. I knew he is the guy to help me reach my goal at that point. I made the surgery date so I would not back out of it.

Dr. Tholen was nice enough to give me his cellphone number and told me to reach out to him if anything comes up. I have talked to him 3 times over phone and he has been assuring and helpful. Such a great guy.

So here I am. A bit anxious. Just about the recovery process. I don't like uncertainty. We have 2 cats and Dr. Tholen said they are a big NO NO. I cannot be around them due to higher chances of infection with cats. So I will be confined in my room with my PS3. My mental situation will be tested for sure. Thanks to my beautiful wife for taking a full week of to take care of me, this should be no problem.

I will upload pictures from old times to present to show the progression.

Current pics

Current body picd

Pre OP done and 6 day pre OP

Yesterday met with my primary care and took care of the exam. Things look good. I am getting super nervous now.
My plan was to lose a bit more weight but due to schedule issues I put up 6lbs. It kind of made me depressed. I feel like I let myself down. Man, my mind is playing tricks on me. Won't lie. I am a bit of nervous wreck. Phew. As for the weight gain, i think it is mostly water weight. I have sever ongoing constipation and retain good amount of stool internally as well. Dr. Tholen has been great responding to my concerns. I have texted him multiple times, even on the last weekend and he has been great. Sorry for bothering you so much lol
Main thing is to have stool softener on hand. My PC wants me to take 1tsp of Miralax each day to help my constipation. I am also on 8mcc of Amitiza. Dr. Tholen emphasises on using Fleet Enema the night before and morning of the surgery. Hopefully these help me get through the recovery and the constipation.

I have been at the gym non stop for the past 10 days. I am planning on uping my cardio amd lifts while I can. It makes me sad to know that I will lose some of my strength. It will be a rebuild all over again lol

Going through pre OP instructions. Pubic shave and Hibiclens

I was a bit confused on the directions. 2 things:
1) shaving pubic area
2) Hibiclens on all body specially groin area

I read so many posts by surgeons advising against it unless directed by them. Some hospitals will cancel your case if you shave a body part. It can increase the rate of contracting an infection. It makes sense specially if surgery is done at a hospital. I read about so many people who shaved their arms, legs, or body a day before surgery. That is bad and it allows your body to be exposed to nasty bacteria. There is also no straight answer in regards how late you can shave. In my case I called the office and talked to one of the nurses. She suggested trimming instead of shaving. She said the point is not to clean completely. She advised against shaving as it can get super itchy post surgery.

As for the Hibiclens. It should not be used on face and genitials. She said I can clean around the genetials and not too close to it. The bottle also states no shaving after it. So I guess I will trimm tonight and then start my showers on Saturday. Hibiclens showers starting 2 days priror to surgery and the morning of the surgery. Bottom line. If in doubt, call your surgeon and ask.

Oooh gettimg close...also unnecessary stress pre surgery

So I went to the store and bought some washcloths for pre and post surgery bathing.

We have two cats at home. One has history of UTI. I recognized that he started jumping in and out of the litter box and peeing a bit each time. I just crossed my finger that this would go awat the same as last time. Firsr time we eneded up at the ER and pain med resolved it.

Oh boy I was wrong. Wife gets home at four and calls me to tell me that he is bleeding.
We had to rush him to the vet. Fortunately no blockage but I had to monitor him all night and take him back the next day. 500 bucks later, he is diagnosed with a small amount of crtstal in bladder and now needs to be on prescription diet...yay this brings up his food cost to over 100 bucks...
I am gkad he is fine though. Funny part was watching him high on pain meds

Tick tock tick tock...almost there

Oh wow. Time flies like crazy. Here I am. In 3 hours the surgery will begin.
I did 1 enema and anti bacterial shower last night. Oh boi, the cramps were not fun.
Woke up around 5.30am to do another enema per Dr. Tholen's instructions. I give it an hour to feel normal. I thing I mostly emptied my bowel last night but still have pretty annoying cramps. Next step will be another Hibiclens shower.

Here I Go

Wish me luck everyone

I am alive lol

Thanks all. Dr. Tholen was awedome. And his team went above and beyond. But oh boi oh boi. This hurts. Initially tightness hurts. But now I am narco. Id say i have a stinging pain on the sides. Getting out of bed is going to be hard

Man it is painful

No kidding when people say let others take care of you...im super tight. Breathing is a bit funny.
I woke up with no issue from anesthesia. My surgeon uses TIVA (complete IV anesthesia) and not the gas. I woke up 20 min later and was alert. There was a dude by me and he was tripping lol
But I nearly cried trying to get out of bed. My bed is a bit high so we got a stool. Helps but it is tough. But try eating sugary stuff before getting up. My blood pressure dropped like crazy on the way to the restroom. At most 15 steps inside bedroom. I was white and pale as flour. Once I sat down and drank something, I recovered.
But man getting out of the bed is a huge task. My wife is an angel. She is taking care of me nonstop while I am ordering things every 10 sec. Thank god she lifts. You need a strong person. Otherwise get a recliner. I have no issue sleeping in bed. Issue is getting out of the damn bed lol

Feeling much better

It is super hard to get out of bed. Really plan for a helping hand. Annoying thins was I had to pee every 2 hours. Sucked to ge out but needs to be done. I started having gas. Relieving it helps. I will start stool softners. I have been told by many of the kind people who reached out to me to prevent it as much as possible. I am taking muscle relaxant every 3 hours. This is helping a lot. Not much psin now. Just tightness and stinging pain. I can also get out of bed a bit easier. Well, my wife can get me out easier lol
She locks her arms around my back and gently lifts me to a sitting position. I let me feel dangle a bit and then walk to the restroom

2nd day post op + first checkup

Just had my first checkup with Dr. Tholen. Took a nit to get in but they emptied out the drains. Dr. Tholen opened the binder and I was amazed. I actually love his work. Being fit made the result better. He removed 6.1lbs of mostly skin, not so much fat. The incision looks good and he is really impressed with it. I am happy too. It even looks good to me despite the swelling.

2nd night sleep

Last night was tough. The swelling gets worse at nights and pushes against the binder. I have pillows under my shoulders and feet. At some point my glut muscles started cramping so I had to move around. I am trying to delay taking Vicodin but felt doing that last night might not be wise. I took half a pill. I got around 8 hours of sleep and feel much better. Day by day I can roll and move around more. I feel the tightness in the incision is getting less noticeable. I would love to be able to get out of bed on my own by Monday. My wife then can go to work and I do my own thing. Right now going from sleeping position to sitting is not possible.
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Awesome guy with tons of knowledge. He is a no BS guy. Tells you the way it is and does not sugar coat it. Just read his reviews and his suggestions to others. He can make money from cases but if he believes the procedure you are looking into is not good for you, he will try to change your mind. My wife wants to do liposuction on her legs and he told her that some spots will be waste of money and it will not be that good. So he changed her mind to only focus on one location. Truly a good doctor