Push Ups question

HI RealSelf BA Family, I am 50 years old, married...

HI RealSelf BA Family,

I am 50 years old, married to a wonderful man and have 2 grown children, a 26 year-old son and a 22 year-old daughter. I am excited for my BA on Monday, Feb 23. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape although I would like to get more toned and stronger. I work out about 4 hours per week in cardio, toning and weight lifting classes and am 5'8" and weigh 137 lbs.

I've wanted bigger breasts since junior high really but have just lived with what I had and am grateful to VS and Aerie for making Double Your Cup Size bras! My husband is happy with my body (very happy he would say) but is also supportive of my desire to increase my breast size. When I was 49, I decided to get braces for the second time in my life (OMG) due to TMJ issues and I still have them on. Getting braces at 50 has been a challenge as many times I lisp and/or spit when I talk! How embarrassing! As long as I'm going through this awkward time in my life, I see no better time then to get the BA that I've always wanted. It does take work to keep our bodies in shape and looking good at any age and I am up for the challenge. When I feel healthy and good about my body, I am a happier woman, better wife and mother.

Being financially able to get elective surgery is obviously a big consideration for most people I would think. This is my husband's and my second marriage and we both came in to it with kids. He has 3 and I have 2. Currently, 3 of our kids are in college so cost is a factor.

I had my first PS consultation on February 12 and chose 500cc HP under the muscle. I had originally wanted 550cc but my PS thought that size would be too big for my body and also warned me that the bigger the implant the more likely for complications. My husband and I had researched different plastic surgeons and chose one that had the accreditations, experience and testimonies we were looking for.

My surgery is set for Monday, February 23. Since my husband is currently working overseas in Afghanistan, my son is going to take me to my appointment. He was not thrilled with the idea of his mom getting a 'boob job' but understands it is something that I want. Just last night he said, "Mom, you are not going really big are you?!!" Lol. I've been pretty open with my kids throughout their lives so was able to discuss this with him. My daughter is going to stay overnight with me and help me as needed. Good kids. I will Skype with hubby before and after the procedure to keep him updated. I'm sure he will be nervous during the operation, waiting for word.

I've attached two photos from the consultation. I am a 36B but feel like I have two little elf shoes sticking out of my body and want big full breasts!

Thank you to all of you who have written your stories and attached pictures. When I first saw how freakish HP implants look right after the procedure, I was like, "What the?" Now I am prepared and love how they look once they D&F.

It's my BA Day! Wish me luck!

I'm getting 500cc HP under the muscle this morning. I slept well last night but woke up at 4:30am. I'll update more when I am able.

I'm on the other side!

Surgery went very well. I skyped with my hubby while waiting in the pre-op room which was calming. I'm home now on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I'd say my pain level is a 4 out of 10. The new girls are hard!

Wish boobs

Long night

I was able to adjust myself and turn over but it was difficult. I am feeling lots of pressure and tightness. I took my meds throughout the night. He put me on Vicodin and a muscle relaxer plus an antibiotic and nausea pills.

I never got nauseous throughout the day or night. I just took my meds again as they are really full and tight feeling!

Day 3 POD

Today was a good day. I stopped taking the Vicodin on day 2 because it gave me a terrible headache and made me feel very flushed with a temp of 99.4. I only took extra strength Tylenol today and was fine. However, I drove to the store and got milk and Tide, then I came home and took our dog for a walk. I wrapped her leash around my waist so that she would not tug on my arms/pecs. This is a very dangerous thing to do in Minnesota after a snowfall and 18*!! I did not fall thank God but I overdid it. I was sore when I got home. I have decided that I will not walk her again until I'm cleared to by my PS. I don't want to mess up the beautiful work he did on me :).

Post op appointment tomorrow. I remember being so anxious about having the surgery and now I'm already having my post op appt. More pics to come - they are looking fabulous!

Funny ending to my day

I forgot to mention that as I was laying in bed Skyping with the hubby, my 36D sports bra broke open from the bottom of the front closing zipper! Hubby had a good laugh as I was trying to figure out what had happened to my bra! I guess I'll need to buy a bigger bra tomorrow.

Post op appointment

My post op appointment was today and Dr. Joe said they looked beautiful! You never know if they are just saying that but it felt good to hear it from him. I had to agree! I'm really glad I chose 500cc HP. Again, I am 5'8" and weigh about 137 so they are fitting in nicely with my frame.

I'm feeling good and didn't need to take a nap today. I stopped at JCPenneys and found a comfortable supportive bra as my other one broke yesterday. I have no idea what size I am as this one came in a S, M or L and M was tight. I suppose I'll get an actual fitting around 2-3 months and until then I'll continue to wear boring bras.

I'm missing my workouts but my PS said I could start up again at 3 weeks post op. I live in a very small, conservative farming community and see the same 10 women at each class. Not sure what to say to them when they ask why I've been gone for 3 weeks. They don't need to know really but I will need to tell the trainer as there will be some adjustments I need to make like no longer doing the butterfly move. It's not a big deal really but something that is on my mind.

Riding high and still swollen but I love them!

8 Days Out

I'm finally feeling a little more like normal. It has been an uncomfortable week full of twinges, pinches, zingers, pressure and tightness. It seems some women can breeze right through this procedure and its a little more difficult for others.

I am very happy with the amount of ccs I chose and the profile (500cc and HP) as well as my PS! At first they did feel like huge torpedoes on my chest but are feeling a little better now, somewhat softer although I have a long way to go still. I'm still taking my pain medicine and icing more towards the end of the day but that is what is working for me. Happy Healing everyone!!

One month post op

It's been one month since my BA surgery. I still have very sore nipples and that 'pins and needles' burning feeling under my breasts where they are the heaviest. It does get better every day but I am not pain free yet. At my two-week appointment, my PS had me start wearing the compression band. At the three-week mark, he has his patients with inframammary incisions lay on the floor or hard surface for 15 minutes every day for the next 18 months to limit scar tissue build up. Patients with incisions in their armpits begin this procedure the evening of surgery. I am also to massage daily and help the implants move down by pulling up on the skin above my nipple while pushing the implant down. All of these exercises have helped tremendously. I am seeing very good results, daily.

My husband and I both think that my breasts look sexy and voluptuous - just what I was hoping for. I just wish I was pain free at this point!

More one month pics

One Month Pics From Dr. Joe

"Before and After" with pics from my PS today.

The Ups and Downs of Recovery

Lefty is still being stubborn in dropping and PS has instructed me to wear the compression band in an S-curve for 2 more weeks.

I have had pain below my left breast for a few weeks especially when I stretch and recently found that I have Mondor Chords. PS says more stretching (but not to the point of pain), heat, ibuprofen and time will eliminate them.

Other than those two issues, my discomfort level has dropped significantly but I am still getting used to having big boobs. I am feeling really sexy in one outfit and in another I feel huge. It's just going to take some more time for me to be completely at home with them and to find out what style will work well for me.

11 weeks post op

I wanted to update my profile with some new pics! I bought some new bikinis and a Coobie bra. I'm still wearing wire-free bras as underwire bras still bother my incision area. When does that area become not tender? My left nipple is also tender to the touch but other than those minor issues my boobies are pain free! I absolutely love them as does hubby! I thought they were a too big at first but since all of the dropping and fluffing, their settled size is perfect for me.

8 months post op and feeling sexy

My boobs have definitely dropped and fluffed since my last update this past spring. I do feel they have gotten bigger and rounder once they finally settled. What do you think?

We had a blast this summer boating on our Minnesota lakes and rivers and I wore bikinis as much as possible and was able to fill out the tops for the first time ever. I felt sexy and voluptuous - just what I had hope to achieve. 500 ccs HP round Mentor under the muscle, dual plane.

Flirty Foto Fun with 500cc - 8 months post op

A few RS sisters asked that I post pictures with clothes on. I have to say that my favorite outfit is just being naked, but because I love you ladies, here are pics of me with clothes on (and one topless!)

Push ups

A question for all of you...are you able to comfortably do push-ups? Did your PS warn you not to do push-ups? My PS told me to never do any butterfly moves again as there is a risk of moving the implants out of their pockets but nothing about push-ups. When I do push-ups, I experience the peculiar feeling of my implants moving while my pecs move but I don't think that I'm putting myself at risk. Any advice?

20 month BA update!

Hi ladies! I wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing 20 months post BA!

The first 6 months are full of ups and downs no doubt. I had mondors chords and shooting nerve pain, my left breast took forever to drop and fluff and I worried a lot, but I had a great doctor who did a wonderful job, in my opinion. Take your time in researching the best doctor you can find. It's worth it!

In regards to working out, I can do everything like before my BA but now look sexier in my tank tops lol. Truly I think besides getting married and having kids, this is one of the best things I've done for myself.

I sleep in wireless bra every night and wear an underwire bra during the day (for example Feathers by Natori or Panache at Nordstroms). I received 500 cc and wear a 32G in Natori and 32F in Panache. I'm 5'8"and weigh 140lbs for those of you ladies interested in stats. I don't care for padded bras as my size feels perfect for me without the padding. I have worn a few and I look huge. I worried about whether 500cc was too big for me and after surgery they felt huge! They did settle down during the dropping and fluffing stage and then I found the appropriate bras. It's a blast having big boobs! I totally recommend it to anyone on the fence.

More updated photos for my 20 month update

Just some more photos to add to my update for ladies who are considering 500 cc, (under a t-shirt and up close).
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

I met with Dr. Joe about 2 weeks prior to my BA. I felt like I already knew him from the book he had written about cosmetic surgery which was delivered to my house prior to my first visit with him. That was a nice surprise! I read it cover-to-cover and it gave me a very good fact-based opinion about him. His accreditations are exemplary as is his experience and patient testimonies. Now I only needed to see if he personally cared for his patients. Would he 'fit' as my doctor? Would he rush my appointment? Would he offer thoughtful, practical advice as I had never done any type of plastic surgery before in my life. My first appointment went great! I felt I was given all of the time that I needed with his staff while I chose the size of implants. They answered a lot of my questions prior to me meeting with him. Once I did, he took as much time as I needed to feel comfortable with him being my doctor. He offered expert advice on size and procedure. I'm so glad he took the time to question me on my choice of cc size because as it turned out, the size that I received is PERFECT for me. I had chosen something larger and he suggested a smaller size. I went with his recommendation and I am so glad I did. I now have the voluptuous, sexy boobs I was looking for without being too big! Dr. Joe is an artist! I have had a couple of follow-up appointments and each time he takes the time to listen to my concerns and makes me feel like my well-being is very important to him. I completely recommend him to anyone seeking plastic surgery as I am very happy with my results.