Finally Decided to Have DS Surgery - Millburn, NJ

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I decided to have WLS...

Hi, everyone.

I'm new here. I decided to have WLS earlier this year but was undecided on which procedure to have. I went back and forth several times before finally deciding on the DS. My surgery is on Wednesday, Dec. 2.

I'm a little nervous but also excited about the future. I'm looking forward to feeling and looking better. There isn't a lot of info about the DS on this site so I'll try to keep you updated on my progress so future readers will have a more current review.

Thanks.

Home recovering

Hi, everyone.

Thanks Kristy for the information.

Well I made it through. Surgery went perfectly according to my doctor but recovery isn't easy. Immediately after surgery I was feeling pretty good. No pain, naseau or vomiting. The day after, however was a bit tougher. That was when all that amazing anasthesia from the surgery was beginning to wear off. Still not too much pain but the gas inside was pretty bad. I did get up and walk some to try to help the process of passing gas along, but it's been a slow process for me. I was supposed to go home on Friday, but to be honest I wasn't feeling all that great but was anxious to get home because I got so little rest in the hospital. Just when you get to sleep someone comes in the room and wakes you up to take your BP and temperature or something and if it's not you it's your roommate. However, late afternoon Friday my nurse informs me that my metabolic doctor noted that my phosphorus was low and wanted to give me an infusion before going home, which would take 4 hours. So I decided to stay another night instead of going home at 8 at night. So I was feeling better on Saturday and looking forward to going home. Around 11 am my nurse tells me the metabolic doctor wants me to have a 2 hour infusion of magnesium. So after that I finally went home Saturday afternoon.

I'm very blessed in that my family is very supportive of me and the decision to do this and are doing anything they can to help me during recovery. Right now I'm focusing on taking in my liquids, which is not easy at all. I have a little gas pain when I sip and I can feel the liquid land in my stomach. I'm looking forward to upgrading to full liquids like cream soups and yogurt because I'm just not feeling satisfied now. I went yesterday morning to get an upper GI xray in preparation for my post op follow up visit with the doctor this afternoon. Hopefully the surgical drain will be removed will help me feel more comfortable.

At some point I will post some photos when I have some results to show. Thanks to everyone for posting their advice and support.

Doing great!

I know it's been a very long time and I haven't updated my review. I will be back soon with an update and some photos.

So happy with my decision!

OK, so I know I have been totally remiss and I dropped the ball on updating my review. So I'm going to update you now. I'm almost 18 months post op and I feel fantastic! Not only did I meet my own personal goal weight at 10 months PO, I went well below that weight. My starting weight at the time of surgery was 274 lbs, I'm now 133 lbs! That's a total loss of 141 lbs! I'm a size 2/4. Absolutely amazing and exceeds my wildest dreams!

I do want to clarify, however, that I did not have a traditional DS surgery. I had a Loop Duodenal Switch or SAD-I (Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileostomy). Which is the DS with only one Anastomosis not 2 as with the traditional DS. This version of the surgery is now the preferred method of my surgeon and many others because studies show fewer instances of malnutrition and diarrhea. There is a longer common channel which means more absorption of food than with the traditional, 2 Anastomosis DS. I'm actually so glad that I did not have the traditional DS because I've had excellent results and fewer post surgical complications and deficiencies.

I get my bloodwork done every 6 months and address any deficiencies. Right now my only concern in Iron. I'm taking vitamins and supplements 4 times a day. This is absolutely a must. You must commit to supplementation or this is definitely not the surgery for you. But it's really not a big deal. It's just a part of my life now. I take multivitamins, calcium citrate, iron, Vit. D and Vit. A. However my iron is still low so my metabolic doctor just referred me to a hematologist and I'll likely have to get an infusion. That being said, absolutely, totally worth it to feel healthy again. Be able to move around without a whole extra person on my frame. People don't even recognize me. I was at a neighborhood block party from my hometown over the weekend and multiple people walked past me and didn't know who I was!

I eat pretty much whatever I want but obviously much less of it. I do have to be careful with certain carbs as they make me feel bloated. I can eat small amounts of pasta, but not a whole meal of it. Certain fatty foods will make my stool softer and may result in "oil slick" type bowel movements. I focus on protein and try to get 60+ grams per day. I start my day with a protein shake or bar and try to get the rest of my protein through food throughout the day.

Finally I want to say that my surgeon is so skilled and wonderful that I believe wholeheartedly that God sent me to him. I had a relatively complication free recovery and I've felt fantastic with no issues. I would recommend anyone considering weight loss surgery to go see Dr. Michael Bilof at Garden State Bariatrics in either Millburn or Toms River NJ. I'm going to try to post some photos now. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Photos

Dr. Bilof is an absolutely amazing surgeon! I'm so grateful to the 2 friends who referred me to him. He is very patient and answered every question I've had. I am comfortable with him and my outcome couldn't be better. I highly recommend him.