Breast Reduction And Lift

I am 38 years old, black woman, 5'4", 185 lbs.,I...

I am 38 years old, black woman, 5'4", 185 lbs.,I am a size 38G and have 2 boys 14 and 11 yrs old which I had by a c-section. I didn't breast feed but since having my boys I have always had big breasts. I went to go see Dr. Dan Shell of Memphis, TN after getting a referral from my doctor. I went to the consultation and he was very nice, informative and to the point. My insurance is through Blue Cross Blue Shield through my job and since I hadn't met my deductible of $1200 that's why I have to pay that out of pocket for my surgery.
I went to see Dr. Shell to do my consultation in May 2016 and followed up with my PCP so I could get more notes because the more notes from your PCP the better your chances are for the insurance accepting it and allowing you the go ahead to get a reduction. I received a call on 8/5/16 from the office (Dr Shell office) and was told the insurance had accepted my acceptance for surgery. I had a total of 3 good notes from my PCP and the insurance accepted it on the first go around!! Yes!!!
I am ready, I am preparing to get my hair braided on 8/29/16 because the reviews from you ladies have been AWESOME! I have so much information and I am looking forward to getting this done and writing the reviews about my experience!!

4 days Away

I got a call from the doctor office telling me it was official that everything is scheduled for Tuesday the 28th, I need to report @ 7am and they would start @ 8:30am. The procedure will last about 2 hours. I also got a call from the surgery center telling me my exact amount of the surgery which is $1220.21. I am ready. I will keep you all updated.

Day 1-Surgery

I arrived @ 7am, the surgery center was very nice. When I checked in they called me up, took my ID and insurance, I signed my paperwork and paid my $1,220.21. My mother and friend was allowed to come back with me. I changed into a gown, put my belongings in a bag and signed my consent for treatment. Each staff that was on my medical team explained themselves thoroughly. I was given an IV in my left hand (which didn't hurt @ all), they started me on an antibiotic to prevent any infection if any was to come, they would already be in my system. Then they gave me a dosage for nausea. I meet my bed nurse, 2 other nurses working with Dr. Shell and the anesthesiologist. The staff was organized and professional, they were very formative and explained everything step by step. My family was notified each hour during my surgery. Before I went back Dr. Shell came, talked to me, marked my breast and made me feel comfortable. After that one of the nurses gave me a dosage of Valium then took me to surgery. After that I woke up in recovery.
I felt fine afterwards, I had to pee before I could leave and I did and they asked about my pain on a scale of 1-10 and it was a 4. I left with my family at 12 noon, picked up my meds (Hydrocodone (for pain) & promethazine (for nausea). I am home, I am a little drowsy, but I feel good. I have taken my meds, I have my bed pillow and I am about to rest.

Day 2 & 3

Theses 2 days were about the same, a little dizzy from the medicine but as long as you stay medicated it should be okay. I can't do much but I do try to get up and not me confined to the bed. I go tomorrow to get my bandages off so I will upload pictures after my 8:30am appointment.

Day 4- Chapter Closed

I went to the doctor office for check-up, everything looked good. No complaints about Dr. Shell, he was there the entire time, staff was professional as well.

Day 5-Sore and Swollen

Today was little different. My sleep has been okay, although I am sleeping half way its not bad, my breast are starting to hurt more because the medication is finally out of my system cause of the surgery and I am decreasing my dosage of pain medication. The scaring looks good, I am having a little drainage. The pain makes me scared to move too much because I don't want to hurt my stitches or anything.

Day 6

I feel much better than yesterday. I am completely off medication from the doctor. I did get a box of Tylenol extra strength 500mg & when I start hurting I take 3 at one time. So far I'm doing good today with minor pain. I got a small portion wrapped for drainage which is very little.

I finally made it to week 2, I am feeling like myself now, I had a follow up with the nurse, she took off my strips and they hurt very little. It was unbelievable how much buildup from the surgery was on the tape and I didn't feel as tight anymore. These pic were taken on 9/12/16 and now I am on week 3 and first day back to work. I took 3 weeks off and am glad I did. I don't have anymore leakage my scaring are healing up really well as if nothing was ever done. I follow up with my PS on 9/26/16.
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

He was attentative, easy to talk to and ask questions, made the process smooth. I would recommend him to anyone getting a reduction and breast lift.