First Tray - London, UK

I had braces when I was 12-15 and went through the...

I had braces when I was 12-15 and went through the wars to get what ended up being beautifully straight teeth. Over the years, my teeth started shifting until 2 of the 4 front teeth and moved considerably. While most people still considered my teeth to be nice and straight, I knew they weren't nearly as nice as they were before and I was getting quite conscious of the difference. Further down the line, my bite went awol and I wasn't able to close my mouth (teeth touching) at all. Not only was I not happy with the look of my teeth but it was becoming a genuine problem for eating etc.

I decided to go ahead with Invisalign, and yesterday I received my first tray. It's one of 14 trays (I know it's likely I'll need additional trays once the first 14 are done). My teeth have been quite tender, and I'm unable to bite into anything crunchy or 'hard'. I did expect this, though, and it's not much of a problem. I know the tenderness will lessen over the next couple of days (if the memory of my braces are anything to go by, at any rate). I haven't had attachments placed on my teeth as of yet. I know they'll make them fairly visible but I'm not too concerned about that. The biggest negative aspect of this for me is that the back of the bottom aligner is making my tongue very sore where it's quite rough. I'll be using an emery board later to try and smooth it down. I'll keep you updated with how that goes! Attached are pictures from today with the Invisalign in :)

2nd tray

So the first 2 weeks are up! Felt like they lasted forever, but I'm on my second trays now - progress is finally being made. Slight discomfort again waking up this morning with the new trays in, and while my lisp had disappeared completely after the first week of tray 1, it has returned a bit with tray 2. I think while they're adjusting to sitting on your teeth perfectly, they're slightly out of line, or as I like to put it 'pokey outey' at the back of the bottom tray, making my lisp a bit more prominent once again. Not a problem though, I know from the first tray that it will disappear soon enough.

Anyone who is struggling with the sharp edges; emery boards work wonders. Don't go too rough with it, but give the edges a smooth over and you don't even notice it.

If anyone is considering going ahead with Invisalign, and want to know what it's like wearing them with regards to being aware of them in your mouth all the time, hence being really irritated by them, the best analogy I can give is: wearing the aligners is like wearing a pair of shoes. When you get new shoes and they're uncomfortable / painful to wear, you're constantly aware of them on your feet. But if you're wearing broken in, and comfy shoes, you're only really aware that you're wearing said shoes when you think about them.
What I'm getting at is, you'll be very aware that you're wearing your aligners for the first couple of days, but once the *slight* discomfort wears off, it'll be like wearing an old, comfortable pair of shoes that you take no notice of :) this will be my last post until the attachments go on (beginning of June), in which case I'll attach photos as well for the comparison.

Not so Invisa-lign - the attachments are on.

So, at the weekend I went to my dentist to have the attachments added on, and get the 4th trays fitted. From what I've seen, a lot of people only have a few attachments on a few teeth, and they're usually around to the side of the mouth, or hidden. Mine, unfortunately, are not. The attachments went on all of my front teeth, and are quite visible now (as you can see in the picture), and I certainly feel more conscious of them.
The pain this time around is a little more intense, mainly when trying to take the aligners out to eat, as my teeth are very tender and the aligners are hooked onto the attachments. However, it has lessened since yesterday (had them on 2 days ago), so I think I'll be back to normal by tomorrow or the day after.

There certainly are things that were sugar coated by the dentist's and nurses initially (or you know, not mentioned to me at all) that would be part of the Invisalign journey; things that are only researchable from the likes of these trusty websites where personal experiences and reviews are left, as opposed to the websites advertising Invisalign.

However, I do 100% stand by my decision to go ahead with the treatment, and can't wait to see the final result. It's only 1 year out of my life, after all.

Not so Invisa-lign - the attachments are on

Not so Invisa-lign - the attachments are on.
6 Jun 2016
•2 months post

Sensu London

Very professional, very helpful. The whole team at Sensu have been great so far :)