37 Year Old Mother of Two, Finally Addressing my Veins - Lancaster, PA

10/21/16- I just had my first evlt procedure...

10/21/16- I just had my first evlt procedure yesterday, so I hope to update this as I go, to share my experience with anyone who might be considering it. Insurance is covering my procedure and I have not yet been billed.

Photos uploaded today (10/21/16) were taken today, 1 day after the procedure. I have sclerotherapy scheduled for 10/25 to treat the bulging veins in the back of my right leg, as well as some minor spider veins.

I've had visible varicose veins on the back of my right leg since my teen years. They always bothered me, but of course they've gotten much worked after 20 years and two children. I'm active and extremely self conscious of the appearance, but it's the discomfort that finally pushed me to go through with treatment. My legs are always swollen and uncomfortable. The visible veins behind my knee are very close to the surface of the skin, tender and - at times - itchy enough to make me crazy. Usually during exercise. I should also add that my veins have been getting noticeably worse over the past 2-3 years, both appearance and discomfort / swelling.

My procedure took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I took Valium 30 minutes before the procedure. That was enough to make me feel relaxed and slightly loopy. The initial insertion of the catheter was the only part I could really feel. That stung a little. I received 5 local anesthesia injections; those pricked a little, like any other shot. I could not feel the catheter, or the laser. They placed cotton gauze and tape over the insertion site and a nurse put on a chaps style compression stocking.

I have some slight bruising, as you can see in the photos. I really don't have any pain. A twinge every now and then, and a little more discomfort than usual in those bulging veins. It's itchy right now, but that could be irritation from the compression stocking.

I was very anxious about having this done, and right now I'm feeling hopeful but skeptical. I realize it's too soon to see results and I need sclerotherapy to resolved the bulging veins, so I'm trying to be patient. I really don't like my body being "messed with", so this was a big deal for me. I'm hopeful.

10/24/16

Not really any changes to talk about. The bruising may have darkened a little, but I have yet to experience any pain or discomfort. A twinge every now and then. The compression stocking has been the most uncomfortable part of this. I have sclerotherapy tomorrow at 8am to finally take care of all those visible veins on the back of my knee. Excited but not sure what to expect! I'll add photos when I'm done.

I'll review the doctor after all my treatments are complete. So far I am very pleased.