Fill-er-up - La Mesa, CA

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I have been wanting very large breast implants for...

I have been wanting very large breast implants for many years. While some might think 1200 cc's is large, it was not as large as I really wanted.

Since I live half an hour north of NY City, it was a HUGE decision to travel to the opposite end of the country alone, not to mention also having surgery in an unfamiliar area. Despite my concerns, everything went very well.

I did plenty of research before my trip and found the best hotel rate at the Travelodge (7911 University Avenue, La Mesa). Through Hotwire, I got a superb deal on the Supershuttle from/to the airport ($25 round-trip).

And rather than wasting $20+ round-trip on each two mile cab ride to the doctor's office, I walked three blocks to the (Orange Line) Trolley and took it one stop north to Grossmont Center. The trolley is $2.50 each way. Or from the hotel you could walk two blocks east on University to catch the #1 bus, for $2.25 each way. I took the trolley to my pre-op consult, as well as to the post-op visit two days after surgery. The trolley is on the road below Center Drive, so you will have to take the elevator up to the street level. To get to the doctor's office (so you don't get lost), you will have to walk half a block to the main intersection and then go up hill away from the direction of the mall.

After my pro-op consultation (approximately 18 hours before surgery), I walked over to the mall and filled my prescriptions at CVS, then walked to Dollar Tree to purchase prune juice, which helped me go to the bathroom easily after surgery. Next, I went over to Olive Garden, which is literally next door to both CVS and Dollar Tree, where I literally pigged out on four bowls of soup and tons of bread sticks. I also ordered an Eggplant Parmesan dinner which I proceeded to cut in half and place into two take-out containers for my post-op, just in case I didn't want to leave the hotel for a while post-op.

At 5:15 the next morning, I took a six minute cab ride to the surgery center, which cost $10. The staff at the surgery center were all very me and very professional. Dr. Pousti met with me just before 7am and after marking me up with a purple marker I was taken to the operating room where the anesthesiologist put me to sleep. Just over two hours later I awakened and the nurse I hired (Haley) was ready to take me back to the hotel.

On the way back to the hotel, I asked her to stop at the supermarket (Vons), which happened to be less than one block away. at the intersection of LaMesa and University. I bought four 6-inch hoagies, ice cream, pretzels, water and cranberry juice. Because the doctor does not recommend solid food for the first 24-hours, Haley came prepared with crackers and broth. Little did she know that I would not only not use the broth or crackers, but I would be eating like a pig to whole time she was there. Literally within a few hours of leaving the surgery center, I woofed down nearly a half gallon of ice cream, a six inch hoagie and an eggplant parmesan dinner. And NO, I did not get sick at all. If anything, I was still craving more food after devouring everything mentioned. The first time I laid down after returning to the hotel was 10pm, because I decided it was time to try to sleep. The first night was a little difficult because it was hard to get into and out of bed, which I had to do several times, because I drank so much water and cranberry juice that I was peeing every hour or two. Around 3am I woke up and went to the bathroom (#2) and afterwards I woofed down 6-inch Turkey and Jack Hoagie, as well as another large serving of ice cream. Yes, I was pigging out at 3am. HAHA!! Believe me when I say, if I could have gotten a large pizza at 3am I would have eaten that too.

Anyway, I think that is enough about how much food I ate. All I should say is that you want to be sure to drink at least two cups of prune juice at least 12 hours prior to surgery and then each day afterwards, to clear yourself out before surgery and also prevent post-op constipation. Then stock up on anything you might expect you will want with regards to food for several days. Everyone will be different with regards to reactions to surgery. If you feel up to eating, then eat. If you don't, then don't. I am living proof that you don't have to fear eating after surgery.

Two days post-op, I once again walked to the trolley at the intersection of La Mesa and Spring Street and took it one stop to Grossmont Center, took the elevator upstairs to the street level and walked up the hill to the doctor's office. Post-op, expect that walk from your hotel room to the trolley to be a solid 15 minutes, so give yourself extra time to get to the trolley. You will be walking slowly, so need to rush. If you miss the trolley you will just have to wait another 15 minutes until the next one arrives. Along that stretch of La Mesa walking to the Trolley, there is a Subway where you can get something to eat if you are looking to stop for lunch before or after your trip to the doctor.

For the trip home, I would suggest getting wheelchair assistance from the airline. And be sure to not lift anything to place it in the overhead bin n the plane. Ask someone else to do it for you. You might also want to request a bulkhead seat at the window, so you are not cramped between two people or at an aisle when you might be bumped in the chest by someone. In my case, I got bulkhead window seats and also brought four 6-inch hoagies with me on the trip home, which I had no problem devouring during my trip. Your body needs to heal, so be sure not to deprive it of food when you are hungry and sleep if you need it.

The doctor gave me my old implants, which I took back home with me. One problem though: TSA would not allow them onboard in my carry-on, so either check your bag for the return trip or put the implants into a box and ship them to yourself via the USPS.

If you have any questions, Dr. Pousti's office can get you in touch with me.

Nearly 18 months later

Here are some pictures of results 18 months post-op.

Time Flies

It has been two years since my breast augmentation with Dr. Pousti and my breasts still look and feel great. Anyone thinking of getting breast implants, regardless of the size, but especially if you want large ones, should DEFINITELY go to Dr. Pousti. He is an artist and I highly recommend him.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon

I found this doctor doing online searches for doctors who have experience overfilling breast implants. After considerable research and speaking with several surgeons, I got the best impression from Dr. Pousti, with regards to intricate knowledge of the procedure and willingness to spend time addressing my very specific questions and concerns on the telephone. Everyone at the office was very nice to me and very cheerful. The doctor was very pleasant as well. The only thing I didn't like was all the paperwork, which I really wish they would have sent to me beforehand, because I was very tired from the trip and really didn't want to have to spend 30 minutes filling out so much paperwork.

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful