4250 FUE by Dr Maral and great techs: seeing early results from June 2016

Best holiday ever, since my souvenir is a new...

Best holiday ever, since my souvenir is a new hairline! Thanks Maral Klinik team and Dr Maral.

Everything on my trip ran as advertised, as well as a holiday/tourism venture could be.

The bonus was the AMAZING camaraderie of my fellow visitors/clients - it was great to hang out and learn from you.

If you are wondering about these reviews - all I can say is that at the Levent Otel, half the people were pre- or post visit to Dr Maral and Maral Klinik.

This is a truly wonderful thing to do - just keep your ears and mind (scalp?????) open.

My experience at Maral Klinik is exactly as per the reviews - calm, friendlt, clean, well run, relaxing. The clinic is tucked into a local shop front/cafe area opposite a micro size square. Just off the main business street.

Since the hotel is very close to the Levent subway it's possible to get transport to the historic Hippodrome / Blue Mosque / Sultan Ahmed area which is approximately 8km away.

Pics before and after are coming soon.
It is Day 8 at the time of my first post and a lot of scabs have come off in the shower.

I have run a few 10k+ runs since the op and aside from the usual reported post op symptoms, there is very little downside at all.

Thanks to everyone who has supported my latest adventure!

Maral Klinik pics

Pics from Dr Maral and his SLR camera.
I had hoped to get more grafts harvested but as you can see in the pic, graft# is dependent on head size, available area and head size also means more are needed for full coverage!

Details for tourists (and a hair saving tip)

Hakan collected me at IST Atatürk arrivals - a kind and genuine man who speaks six languages. A gentleman!

If you need cash there is an ATM machine near the entry to the baggage carousel area. You can get euro.

Maral Klinik takes blue chip western currencies equivalent to the 2100€ fee.

IST airport is a long drive from the business district, so expect up to a 1hr drive outside peak times. Try to avoid peak hours since travel time could triple.

I recommend getting some Turkish Lira at the airport as the hotel staff will expect a tip. It would be good to tip the driver too. Food is very good value and smaller places may only take cash (most branded places will take cards too).

If you are fairly tall and you are sent to Levent Otel, make sure that you get a room NOT on the fourth floor. This is a risky floor since light fittings on the top/4th floor are low and are hazardous to hair grafts.

I was jetlagged and awoke at 3am (since my flight and connections totalled 21hrs), so went for a long run from 4am.
At that hour there's little or no people around, so you have the city to yourself.

Pics after post surgery dinner with fellow patientd

After a big day and a good dinner with fellow patients of Maral Klinik, I took these pics before the hardest night, the first night babysitting the FUE grafts.

Taken in Levent Otel bathroom in my room #208.

Saturday night. Day after surgery pics

I *somehow didn't get advised not to drink* for a few days post surgery. ????
Turkish Airlines were great on the flight bac I tried homemade lemonade (with Turkish Airlines' contended Absolut. Just one! Plus one Heineken. Great flight.

In a rush with someone behind me on hthe airport bus I hit my head on a low baggage shelf. Great! No apparent blood etc.

If there is a drop of blood on the back that could be where I knocked my head.

Ten day update: more hair, scab washing time

This period is exciting: by this time the soreness from the donor area has reduced to nearly nothing and I can see hair growth.

Redness of the scalp is still there but swelling is gone.

I still don't go without a hat (most of the time) but did go to a couple of places and it was fine.

Reading other reviews here, I started using a sponge to apply the shampoo in the first week. It helps soothe the area and reduces the need to move the shampoo around the head.

Over these few days I was visiting someone on the other side of Ireland and didn't do the usual Washington routine. After I returned to my usual abode I got back to moisturising then washing morning and night.

I'm still using the neck pillow.

Any questions? ????

More Day 10 scab pics

Here are some better-lit pics showing the smaller white scabs which were especially evident at the back.

This week was a critical time for patience and moisturising soaking and head washing.

Around this time I started to use a very soft shower spray directly onto my head, instead of softening the spray with my fingers.

The small white scabs will wash off but it takes time and looks bad, as if it's dandruff or eczema. It will come off, don't force it too quickly!

Day 12: Even more growth and front scabs are starting to come off

June 22: You'll notice a more normal looking head by now. Wishing the scabs were gone at the front but they are hanging on, for now. Not for long though.

A trip for Brexit week is coming up

Britain Brexit or Bremain Day

Here's a shot of me in the wild, with the world famous combover populist is on a beautician 's window!

My mate didn't notice anything too odd about my head on this night. However he was on the piss and I think he was more concerned with being able to stand up. ????

Day 18 pic update

Looking back at these pics, this is a nice stage as all the grafts are settled. Donor area is barely sore. Shock loss has not yet happened. It looks neat and I look younger haha.

This is after a great time in Britain. Timed for the Brexit vote. Now that's a shock loss! ????????????

Day 18 pics post Brexit

28day update

It has been a very busy time.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to take a lot of pics of my skull during travels, so the ones in the previous post are my best.

These pics I just took, now Im nearly a week home in Sydney. Note the shock loss has happened on tip and especially at the back.the outdoor light makes it look worse.

Donor area feels fine.
I'm getting sensation back on top, although it's still somewhat numb.

After three weeks using the neck pillow, I stopped using it once my donor area felt fine, for the fourth week post surgery.

Still very sorry to have seen the murderous attacks on innocent people at ATA airport last month.

I still recommend coming to Turkey and I plan to return.

Thanks to my fellow hotel/hair buddies from Levent Otel. Please keep in touch!
Thanks also to DerekLucan for your support and messages.

Now it's time for me to get into the winter of my scalp, with the hair loss and the winter here...

Ask any questions!

Not much redness. Uneven growth will need tidying

Looks worse than a week ago, since I seem to have lost a lot of the grafted hairs at the top and back.

Should I try clipping the unruly side bits? This was neither grafts not donor area. The middle hair is also non grafts non donor bit I will leave it alone.

Back to baldy

Here are a few pics I've just taken.
Week 5 / 38days post.
Front shot and IRL looks OK from head on but lost a lot from the crown.

Redness is down a lot but still visible. Feeling is coming back to lots of the area.

Turkey's domestic political situation looks bad but a strongman government will want business as usual happening asap, so I expect that the clinics business will resume as long as flights arrive and streets are safe-ish.

Back to the pics - please update your own week/month updates.

Ask any questions you have.

Seven week update pics. Not much to report

Slow progress.
I've trimmed the sides and back weekly and have posted a pic from seven weeks ago, for comparison.

Seven week pics. Not much growth

Here are the seven week pics, compared with a pic in the early morning of June 10.

Sensation has come back to most of my scalp, which is still red and the donor area is fine.

A sign! 7.5 weeks and signs of life

Following up on Nick Zed's report, I also have a great big zit on the front of my hairline.

A good sign. Hope.

Two month update (weeks 8-9)

I really appreciate the efforts of those of you who post detailed reviews or who have provided really helpful support.
That includes DerekLucan, gmang85 and nickzed, plus those of you who.have added comments or posted decent updates.

I've not noticed much change. There has only been one big zit, plus quite a bit of itchiness and head scratching.

Hopefully I can get some perspective on this 2mth stage and can not be so impatient. Roll on month three!

A bit itchy at week 10 (itchin' for action!)

Itchy, a bit scabby, a bit less of the grafts.
Midway through month two.
Roll on month three and some action, please! ????

Late Winter month 2.5 update pics

I meant to add to my review that the zits and sores are back. Just for the information of anyone else getting through the third month and the winter time of hair farming.
I can't wait for spring and follicles to spring to life!

Week 11 pics

Still watching and hoping to see something new spring from the field!
Some skin irritation, zits and scabs are signs of life at week 11...

Spring shoots

A few pics for the weekend (week 13).
Scalp remains itchy.
Best news this week was discovering lots of new hairs growing in.
I continue to trim the unaffected hairs beside the recipient area but the recipient area hairs and middle bit haven't yet been to a barbershop.

Redness has become hard to see.

Week 13 - do I feel lucky?

Yes I do! I'll post up a couple of pics soon. Still not that impressive at a distance but there is a bit of new hair growth coming through. I continue to trim the adjacent patches that were beside the recipient area.
Following my 'free combover' pic (ten weeks ago, Brexit day!), enjoy How The Donald Got His Hair from Laurence McGilvery:
How The Donald Got His Hair: a Just-So Story (with ‘pologies to Rudyard Kipling)
In the High and Far-Off Times, my child, my Best Beloved, long before you were born, there was a boy, name of Donald, who was unlike you or I. Now, there have been many Donalds in the world, Donalds by the millions, I suppose, but our tale relates only to This One Donald and How He Got His Hair.

This Donald was ’scruciatingly vain and ’barrassingly full of bombast and bloat. His head was hot with anger and ’flammation. It produced notions in such ’bundance that they threatened to fill up the known universe. He had one immutable belief . . .
Me! Me! Meeee! Destiny had marked him to become the most famous Donald in history, more famous even than Donald the Duck.

The child Donald had a head of hair, as most boys and girls do. It seemed a normal head of hair, a bit unruly as boys and their hair both tend to be, but nothing to alarm the populace. As the years passed, he came to consider himself a Man of Infinite-Resource-and-Sagacity. There were many who disagreed, but This Donald shouted ’em all down. Thus does The Donald Trump his opponents. Some wondered privately (so as not to draw his wrath) if his head were filled, not with a heavy, soft, squishy gray brain full of deep thoughts and wisdom, but with hydrogen, the lightest thing there is, my Best Beloved, and one of the most ’splosive.

This Donald also was insufferably arrogant, and his skin was ’mazingly thin. He was vainer than the peacock, more devious than the crocodile, more vicious than the black mamba, more ’noying than the mosquito, yet flightier than the gnat. His brain (or his hydrogen) was fertile ground for every quirk, every kink, every figment, every whim, as long as it magnified him.

As the billions upon billions of notions spurted out of The Donald’s head into the aether, they ’roused and ’zilerated all his hairs. These were the Greatest Hairs That Ever Had Been, and don’t you think they weren’t. Finding themselves the Greatest Hairs, et cetera, they went all twirly-whirly and ’gratulated themselves for their Greatness. They were a most ’sclusive bunch, too, these Hairs. Even you might feel ’sclusive if you were the Greatest Something of Anything That Ever Had Been.

Now, Hairs have absolutely no morals, no gravitas. They are creatures of sensation and do not comprehend the consequences of their actions. If The Donald declared a Beyootiful, Beyootiful, Beyootiful Babe the Greatest, they would squeal silently with delight. Fifteen minutes later, after this former Great Beyooty had annoyed him in some small way and he had brought her to tears by yelling, “Stupid,” “Disgusting,” or “Ugly Inside and Out,” they would snigger with even greater vigor. His praise of a dictator or his insults of a whole people or a country seemed to them just sweet, delicious sport. When, as too-often happened, he became more deranged and pugnacious than a crazed rhinoceros, that was the sine qua non.
(And if, my Best Beloved, you never have faced down a crazed rhinoceros, I hope you never do.)

Hairs are troupers, at least The Donald’s Great Hairs were. Like the champion gymnast, the incomparable ballerina, the long-distance runner, they suffered for their art—the curling, clipping, cutting, coiffing, thinning, trimming, ironing, drenching, dyeing, drying, and constant torture from every manner of chemical. In return, the Donald never failed to stimulate them anew every day with fresh outrages. His plethora of insults, his bottomless tumbler of mindless lies and rudeness, his non sequiturs and utter nonsense were like catnip to them.

The Greatest Hairs That Ever Had Been were privy to every fib, every unsavory fantasy, every bit of meanness, every iota of lust, every scrap of sleaze that passed through The Donald’s head. Unaccountably, for one never can tell why a Hair thinks what it does, they loved him for all of it and repaid him with their loyalty. Loyalty became their Religion.

One night of nights in his middle years, The Donald attended a grand shindig of all the Most Beautiful and Gaudiest and Glitziest People. No sooner had he arrived at 8:05 than he scaled the cliffs of Monte Braggadocio and reached its summit in thirteen minutes and five seconds, a record that remained unbroken until he himself ’complished the feat eight seconds faster a few years later.

During the next half hour, he puffed up every one of the other hundred and three guests as “Yuuge!” or “The Greatest!” and then spent the next three hours insulting, degrading, or humiliating a hundred and two of them with verbal jabs and pokes and rants. Braying like a klaxon, he declared his immutable belief in twenty-seven things that could not be true, rejected with equal force forty-three that could not be false, and took both sides simultaneously on nineteen Very Serious Issues. If any one dared to question him, he brushed off the innocent with a rude noise and a snarled “Idiot!” As he left, all the guests cheered him, ’specially the ones he’d ’sulted. He went to sleep a happy man that night.

Alas, this tour-de-force had pushed the Hairs beyond even their superhuman capacity. They were over-stimulated to the point of madness, and you know, my Best Beloved, how dangerous that can be. Existing small tensions among them developed into rivalries. Those became factions and then ’scalated into fierce disputes. It was practically civil war. These adoring subjects had listened to him too long and heard too much. They thought they, too, could do anything and everything they wanted. During the few hours when The Donald slept, some of the Hairs grew and grew, as much as a foot per hour. Others refused to grow at all. Some went straight, some sideways; some wrapped curly left, others twirly right. Some headed north, others south, and most took off in all directions at once.

The Donald awoke. Something was terribly, terribly wrong. He scrambled to his gold-framed mirror in disbelief. Where was his face? The Hairs enveloped The Whole Donald in a chaotic mass that resembled the unwanted offspring of a bramble bush and a weeping willow. He threatened them. He pleaded with them. He swore ferociously at them. They merely giggled silently or snickered or chortled; some just raised their eyebrows and shrugged their shoulders. He screamed violent oaths at his own Greatest Hairs That Ever Had Been, though he dared not call them “Losers.”

He would have to go into hiding. It was time to call his million-dollar-a-day Greatest Hairdresser in the World.

When the Greatest Hairdresser in the World attempted to coax the Hairs into familiar patterns, they got in his eyes, they tickled his nose until he sneezed, they choked him. When he tried to cut the Hairs, his scissors broke. They swallowed up his brush. He washed them and dried them and drenched them in pots of pomades to no effect. He had failed. He knew, too well, what came next.
“You’re fired!”
The million-dollar-a-day, Greatest Hairdresser in the World left broken-hearted and fled to a barber shop in Grimes, Iowa, where he mans the second chair to this day.

The Donald went to the mirror again and addressed the Hairs savagely. “I will cut you all off. I will shave my head.”

They laughed and laughed and laughed, silently, of course. They knew he never would, that he never could, that he and his Hairs were wedded for life.

The next day, The Donald called in his two-million-dollar-a-day hairdresser, the Greatest Hairdresser in the Known Universe, and said, “Fix this!”

The Greatest Hairdresser in the Known Universe knew what to expect, so he collected his two million dollars first. He circled The Donald, surveying the wreckage with a barely perceptible sneer playing around his lips. After many polite clearings of the throat and hmmms and other signs of sagacity and esoteric learning, he detailed his findings: “Hopeless!” As he left the room, he tossed out over his shoulder, “Try reasoning with them.”

“Humphf!” said The Donald, two million dollars poorer. He never had reasoned with anyone in his life.

He stood before his mirror, peering out from between his mass of hairs, and spoke to them, “OK, let’s make a deal.” Something like a whisper rippled over his head. “You come up with a plan that makes us all Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Greaaat, or else! 8 a.m.!” He did not specify “or else!” what. Then he sat down and tried to write his memoirs all day long in a large notebook full of lined paper. Not even that helped.

The Great Donald, the newly blighted Donald could not sleep. Never before had he suffered such a setback. At last, he did fall into the fabled arms of Morpheus. At 4 a.m. the Hairs held a great palaver. They argued and bickered and jawboned, but when he arose at dawn and faced the mirror once more, expecting rebellion and bloodshed, they surprised him.

“Whatcha got?” He looked like a Brawler, a Scuffler, a Howler in a Howling Desert.

His ’pulsive bluster, his brutish prose, his mouth gaping open so wide that it seemed to fill up three-quarters of his face thrilled the Greatest Hairs to their very roots. Their love for him was complete, their proper role restored. Lacking voices to express their ’zuberance, they worked as one to do what they knew. They untangled so ’speditiously that The Donald went dizzy. They swept themselves in waves and curls and swirls, they played at arabesques. They aped the cunning chameleon, but their purpose was to magnify and glorify The Donald, not to hide him. So the Hairs clad themselves in his favorite radiant gold, in silver, fawn, yellow, bronze, delicate orange-tawny, and a thousand other tints he could not so much as name.

All the untangling and waving and curling and swirling and glamorizing took only seventeen seconds. Then the order spread at light-speed: “All together now, one, two, three!” The Hairs swooped back and up and spun skyward into a glorious edifice of More-than-Oriental Splendour, firmly cemented onto The Donald’s Head, like Nothing the World Had Ever Seen.

He tilted his head this way and the other. He leaned back, forward, then struck a pose. He scrutinized every ripple, every fillip, every gleaming wave more closely than he ever had looked at anything in his life. The hairs’ little hearts throbbed as one. Then, to their ’zultant delight, he spread his arms wide, cackled, and yelled at his reflection, like the braying of the Devil’s trumpet, in the meanest, most brazen, most ’zaggerated voice even they had ever heard: “Great! Greaat!! Greeaaattt!!! The Greeeaaaattteesstttt!!!!”
And that, my Best Beloved, is the true and ’stonishing story of How The Donald Got His Hair.

Week 13 pics

Indoor mirror pics. Maybe slightly better detail of the new growth, if you look closely.

Repost of lost pic

Getting good feedback. Asking for yours!

Hi fellow planters, how do these pics look? Do you notice much difference?
There seems to be a little new stubble each week. Some extra thickness?

I have had a massive zit and itchiness right in the middle of the crown area so it feels like it is getting jiggy, too!

Pics which didn't upload. Feels and looks like progress.

These pics failed to upload. I couldn't show the zit eruption but it's in the centre of the crown and has been itchy or sore all week!

Accidental tree damage pics

I wasn't wearing a hat.
If you do any outdoor work around the home, wear a hat to minimise this kind of risk!

For the new players

Here's some tips I found which may entertain you. I googled James Nesbitt since he's had a couple of HTs and has even advertised his (Blackrock, Dublin Ireland) clinic!

Some of the tips may be useful.

Quick Week 15 pics

I'll write an update but here are pics in decent light.
The big zit on my crown has settled and it appears that the grafts at the front are coming along well with growth.
It looks like the rest of my head has not had much breakthrough.

Slow progress.
I have tried larger zooms to get over to the action.

Any comments?

Weekend week 15 shots (out of sunlight)

Here are a few more pics for the week.
I can't report much other than some continuing itchiness on top (no longer at the back which has settled). Hair on top is still thin and I fear some is looking pretty dead...
So hopefully there will be some improvement in the next few weeks!

As you can see, there is some thin hair at the back but it's wispy or sparse enough to still look baldish.

First shots are indoor mirror pics, second were taken outside in thr shade and the third set outdoors in semi shade.

For djames and dereklucan - I did comb through a bit of light brown hair colour to try to get those white or grey curly hairs looking more like the straighter darker hairs... Didn't necessarily make much difference!

Quick comparison pics

Time lapse August-September: end of winter

Ahead of a proper update here is an attempt at a time series.

It's taking shape but slooooooowly!

Week 16 update: still itching for action

Itching for action. There seems to be some subdermal activity as my scalp is irritable and I'm getting more sensation every week.

Let's hope at late month three for signs of spring time!

October 1 pics

It's too extreme weather (wind etc) outside so here is another quick pic update. Indoor shots since these may be a bit more flattering and to compare with those in early September.

Plus another attempted time lapse!

A few pics from the week up to week 17. Close to 4mths!

All of the itchiness has come down a lot and the multiple scabs on the crown area have dried up and come off (usually with just one hair on each). Itchiness is mainly just at the edges of the recipient areas.

Like Braun and Nickzed at this stage, approaching 4mths, the overall hair growth could look ok at some angles but it's still very thin and really only starting to fill in.

I haven't clipped the side/top/edges of my old hair to blend with the new hair, but that would also make it look much better.

Mrs said the new hair shape looks like a 5yr old's hair!

Dr Maral's advice

Dr Maral recommended that I brush the new hair across for best early results, instead of combing it back.

Can you tell any difference or improvement?

Another after v before pic comparison too.

I can feel stubble and hairs at the back but it is so thin and light, it isn't obvious in the pics.

So there is more progress, you just don't see what I can feel.

A new bright place for a 'locker room chat'

My office has a new 'locker room' so I figured it's a good time for a locker room chat.

Not much to grab, still.
Can you see any difference from the past month? I'll tidy up the sides this weekend.

PS our infamous combover campaigner will surely provide even more entertainment in the coming month. :)

These pics are after a shower, just conditioner and a decent water massage in the new showers at work.
No product used here other than the too dark hair colour I applied two weeks ago.

Should I try some product to thicken the appearance or just let nature take its course?

Question and a couple of pics

Are you using thickening shampoo, fibre shampoo or any other thickening assistance after you get growth and hairline after your HT?

What have you tried and what difference did you see?

I can buy bed head, Argan Oil and similar stuff so I figured I would ask you.

I recall three people with great reviews here using Bed Head shampoo and one using Argan Oil shampoo. Please respond d to my impromptu poll.

Note what works for you. Results can vary individually but it's good to hear what you have tried, abandoned and recommend.

Hair raising adventures at Week 19

Here are a few update pics showing progress up to today.
Just as an experiment I tried an inexpensive shampoo that claims to bulk up hair fibres from the inside.
Reviews are mixed in the sense that people report amazing or noticeable early results -then a large percentage of reviewers say they experience a terribly dry scalp and some say damaged hair by using over a lengthy period.

So I'll use it occasionally to see if it helps my apparent thickness.

Otherwise I'll stick with the advice of Nickzed09 and HairFlick for your respective shampoos!

Three buck thickening haha. Use with care and read reviews, since it's only a good thing for a short time

Bought this on a whim just to try out.
Read almost universally positive reports of results to begin with.
Then negatives on the reviews to suggest it's going to be bad for the scalp and the hair if used regularly.
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

I was sucked in by the results of people posting reviews here. I should have taken more time researching but with the results and kind of raise I read, I figured it would be worth doing. It was a good choice to get my HT here! I loved the whole experience. I'm a very happy client of Maralklinik. Dr Maral answered my questions on all emails and is a very user-focused person. It was a pleasure to deal with Dr Maral and his professional and friendly team, from the first moment at airport pickup, to airport drop off less than 48hrs later. We discussed the process in Dr Maral's consulting room in the morning, then Dr Maral drew the hairlines on me prior to getting my head shaved. This continued through the FUE process, then the next morning we did some in depth stuff. At all of the steps of our consultation, Dr Maral's advice and his realistic responses to my questions suggest that you will be in the hands of professionals.