55, 2 Grown Children 200 Lbs Overweight! Time to Shake It Off! - Houston, TX

Today is the first day of they rest of my life .....

Today is the first day of they rest of my life ...and I want it to be a long life.

June 14, 2016

I am 55 years old and have done it all. Weight Watchers-numerous times, Hypnosis - numerous times, quick weight loss, nutra systems, acupuncture, Diet pills through Doctors that are most likely quacks, So many books on diets Scarsdale diet, Let's Do Lunch, Atkins, cabbage soup diet, Hilton Head, Sugar Busters, Dolly Pardon Diet, Mediterranean Diet, Zone diet too many to count. I did lose weight on all of them mostly, only to come back later and usually cam back with a few friends in toe, like 10 to 20 pounds!

Insurance would not pay for my procedure so I started research on local doctors. Even though the cost in Mexico would have save me a lot I really thought being close to home would be best for me. Traveling in pain was my biggest fear. I ended up with evolve weight loss center and chose Dr, Dirk

My initial appointment was fine, quick and received my paperwork. I had to go in a few weeks before my surgery for a scope of my stomach. That was painless and uneventful...even though I think they forgot about me as to everyone around me was going in but I kept getting passed up. Oh water under the bridge:-)

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Dirk but he ended up being really behind so I wrote my check and told them to email me the forms. His assistant Krae is so wonderful. She really helped me out and i appreciate her.

Now for the next two weeks I ate so much crap... to get it out of my system I guess! How strange my mind thinks like this will be my last meal...of course not just my last chewy meal for about 2 months...that alone should make me lose weight! I think my hubby gained weigh during those 2 weeks! LOL

June 15, 2016 SURGERY DAY!

I am a little anxious but more excited. I got lucky and my surgery was schedule for 7:30 am. Ended up I had a Hiatal Hernia that also had been repaired. That was the most painful part of the first day. I don't suffer from heartburn but that day it was awful...my heart goes out to people who have to suffer with that on a daily basis. IT WAS AWFUL!!! Then add on top of that the gas pain from the surgery that you are trying to get rid of. Needless to say it wasn't the funnest day. They wanted me to drink and it was so painful I just couldn't do much. The nurses and staff at Hermann Drive Surgical Hospital were so wonderful. I have never had a hospital stay with such a caring, attentive, and friendly staff. They even went over and above to make my husband comfortable and let him stay with me. I can't say enough good things about the Hospital.

Sleep was in spurts that evening but it wasn't too bad. I really didn't have pain in the surgery areas. He used glue instead of stitches and I have never had that but it is pretty awesome. The next day the heart burn went down a little, but still very painful.

June 16, 2016 HOME SWEET HOME

Home sweet home! Able to get down about 30 ounces of protein shake. Getting in the liquids they want me to have is difficult but I am trying my best.

June 19, 2016 FATHERS DAY AND DAY 5 POST OP

OMG I HAVE SO MUCH GAS!!! both ends...hope this isn't the new norm. Heartburn gone, sleeping well and getting in 60gm protien++ but still a little short on the liquid. I got on the scale when I got home from the hospital and I was up 6 lbs. But I wasn't freaked out those iv's can boat you with water. Today I weighted myself and I was 19lbs down! Crazy for 5 days. But I am only consuming about 800 calories a day so I guess to be expected!

I feel I have made the right decision and look forward to every day.

7 Days Post Op

Today is the 1 week anniversary of my surgery! Every day gets a little better. OK so TMI but... I FINALLY went to the bathroom! OMG 7 days! Crazy!
I have had terrible Gas from both ends...I could have powered a small car. It goes away when I lay down for bed so at least I don't have any trouble at night. I have every antacid and GasX-nothing was working. But here we are today and I feel really good today! Hardly any gas at all I am able to get so much more fluids down and I am full of energy. Waking up and weighting in at 28 lbs. lighter was a nice start to the day! Almost 30lbs in a week!!! WOW and I'm not hungry, headache has gone away. Like I said its a great day today!

I LOVE TO COOK! share your favorite recipes for your new VSG life!

I love to cook and of course I love to eat! With my new tummy and my 3 week blender diet I had to get creative. I am a foodie for sure and have to have variety. Week one of protein shakes ok but I must have MORE!!!
SO I am trying new recipes and thought I would share in case there are any others that LOVE TO COOK!
Today's Soup is: Curried Cauliflower- it is so delicious and it makes a TON!
iNGREDIENTS:
2 T Olive Oil or Butter
64 oz - 2 containers of Chicken Stock - I use the Costco Kirkland Brand
2 T Tumeric
1T Yellow Curry Powder
2T Raw GInger ( I buy the squeeze kind you get in produce section at grocery store)
1 Can of Coconut Milk - I use the Thai Light one.
Red Curry Paste to taste
Sour Cream

I large soup pot add oil/butter, chopped celery, peppers, carrots, onion, Curry powder and Turmeric. Saute until onions become transparent and tender. Add cauliflower and Chicken broth. Bring to a boil for 1 minute then cover and reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes.

If you have an emulsion blender it works great here. If not let the soup cool down and then blend in small batches. After you have pureed it all add the can of coconut and Red curry paste. This is optional, I like to spice it up:-)
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and you have a delicious soup!

What has helped you through the 3 week blender diet?

Medical Alert Bracelet

It was suggested to get a medical alert bracelet after surgery. Which makes since in case of an emergency or someone trying to stuff food down me! LOL
I found a really cute one today and wanted to share with other VSG Patients.
Here is the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/102937374/silver-medical-alert-bracelet-wide?ref=hp_rv

Two Weeks Post Sleeve...

Went to the Dr. for my 2 week follow up, questions in hand:-) Down 32lbs!!!! everything looks great. One of my questions was about the transition diet from week 4 to week 5. He said let me make it easy...JUST EAT FOOD!!! WHAT??? I said you mean soft food? he's like nope, real food. I wanted to hug him so tight!!! He said chew chew chew your food to baby food consistency, go slow, small bites, do't drink while eating and enjoy! OMG I thought I was not going to eat until July 20th!!! This holiday weekend I have 2 parties. I have not told anyone but my family about this journey and was dreading to drag my protein shakes to the parties and explain...well now I don't have to!! woo hoo. No drinking just yet but I am ok with that.

I went home from Dr. all excited that I get to cook a real meal. Ended up with Butterball turkey burger, green beans and mashed potatoes. It was so strange. I ate less than half of everything and was STUFFED!!! I have my hand in the photo for size. I ate on a salad plate so everything was mini version but still filled my plate...and my tummy too:-)

Portion control was my biggest obstacle. I wasn't a binge eater, junk food junkie, closet eater...I just ate too much at every sitting! Hopefully this surgery is the tool I have been waiting for to have success!!!

4 WEEKS - 1 MONTH-LOVING THE JOURNEY

4 Weeks ago today I made the first step into the rest of my life! I am still Loving the Journey and excited about what i to come

I am 35lbs down in 4 weeks. I lost so much the first 2 weeks but once back on food I will go days with out a loss then boom down 1. That's ok as long as the scale keeps moving in the right direction!

Pros-Cons over the last month.
Out of my 5 incisions I have 2 that want to be stinkers. They are just red and tender. The others are healed completely. I have been using neosporin scar ointment on all of them.
I am still learning my limits til I hit FULL!! and I have to catch myself when I am out with friends to really chew chew chew. I get into visiting and take a bite, chew like I used to and swallow...not good! I have had a lot of heartburn lately. I love spicy food and the past couple of times have caused upset:-( That make me sad cause I love it spicy:-) I had a glass of Pino Grigio last night and I think it gave me a little heartburn which makes me VERY SAD because I love wine. I am going to try red and see if the room temp is better. Other than that ALL IS WONDERFUL!

My hubby and I have gone out and I just eat off of his plate...such a cheap date now. But it is perfect. He said he is even eating less:-)

I am still loving cooking and experimenting with great recipes and trying new tricks to get that protein in! The foodie in me is still there!

I am going to start photos tonight and take them every month anniversary. I will post soon.
Dr. Dirk Rodriguez

I like Dr. Dirk. He is kinda a no frills Dr. this is what you need, this is what I will do. Call my staff if you have questions. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. I hate waiting for doctors when I have a scheduled appointment. Half hour maybe but 1HOUR and still had to leave because he had 5 more patients to see. I would have been there for 2 hours. Not Cool. but otherwise that has been the ONLY downfall!