20 Year Old - Rochester, NY

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

So I have a port wine stain on my face and neck. I...

So I have a port wine stain on my face and neck. I started treatments when I was 3 weeks old. I switched doctors at 5 years old due to no change and scaring left from the doctor. I was with the second Doctor till I was 16. My birthmark would fade and come back but never gone. I was told it would be gone at 5, then at 12 and then sometime after 16 but there was never any signs of improvement. At 16 I gave up on all of it and went through a rough time in my life. When I started college I decide to look for another doctor that could help me. He has been great, I am on my 6th treatment with him tomorrow and my birthmark has faded so much that it's hard to see in photos now.

Before my new and final Doctor I had over 200 laser treatments without any changes but with only 6 it has faded at least 55%.
So I'm writing this so people won't give up in finding a treatment. If what you are seeing doesn't please you then find a different Doctor that can help. I almost stopped in trying and I'm glad I didn't. Also the cost of treatments is unknown to me since I have had so many but my new Doctor I do not have to pay a sent for the treatments.
Also I have never covered up my birthmark with makeup since it is was makes me me and the idea of hiding g something that has made me the person I am today just doesn't seem right. But I don't want to live with it for the rest of my life so hopefully in a couple years I won't have to worry about meeting new people and wonder what they thought.

Answering Question

I have only had the Pulse Dye Laser used on me. The difference was in the strength of the laser and the technique used. My first 2 doctors didn't have it figured out but my last Doctor some how made all the difference. I noticed with him I had a lot more bruising after treatments, they would be dark purple and wouldn't lighten for 10 days but before it would be slightly darker and the bruises would fade quickly. Also I was told never to use ice before my treatments since it shrinks the blood vessels, I know it hurts more when not using ice but that is the price we must pay.
-Hope this helps!

Here are photos from 2011-2016. As you can see it has lightened a lot. Some days it does look darker and in photos it can look like nothing's there even though I know it's still there. I don't wear makeup unless it's after a treatment and I'm bruised but that's mainly for everyone else so they aren't shocked when they see me. Also I don't like photos and these were all I can find that shows the color differences well.

Next Steps

So big moves, I've moved to Tennessee and will be living here for a year. I was keeping up with my treatments, 11 so far with my newer doctor. It's lightened a lot but because of my age it takes longer for it to be as light as I would like. I'm trying to get an appointment with the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. I'm hoping going somewhere that there are a lot of specialists in vascular and plastics. I'm wanting to see if there is a more aggressive approach than the lasers I've been using for the past 22 years (since medicine is always advancing). Also, I had a lip surgery done a few years ago, issues occurred and it wasn't stitched up as well as it should have. So I would like to get that fixed as well. But I'll update you guys on what happens.
Rochester Dermatologist

Amazing and I'm happy to have found him. He has changed my life and I will forever be greatfull.