After 25 Years I'm Sorting out my Severely Asymmetrical Breasts - England, DE

During puberty I noticed over time a difference in...

During puberty I noticed over time a difference in the size and shape of my grew larger and more rounder than the other. By the time I was 19 I saw my gp, who took one look at me and suggested cosmetic surgery on the nhs! At the time it was a scary thought and I decided to wait until I had had children before going ahead with the op.

Pregnancy and breast feeding (which I could only do from the larger breast) made the problem worse. There is now at least two cup sizes between the breasts. Clothes shopping is so hard. I feel like a freak. I have missed out on a lot over the years because of confidence issues. My husband of 15 years had at least two affairs, and I can't help but wonder if my hideous boobs made things worse... I always hid my body from him and felt he was short changed having me with my breasts :'( We are now divorced, I have started dating but cannot bring myself to remove my bra during sex, so any relationships fizzle out quickly.

I want to move on with my life and stop hating my breasts. My local authority appears to give breast reduction/augmentation for a difference of over 30% (which mine is) after monitoring my bmi for a year. I have a gp appointment tomorrow, where I'm hoping he'll agree my smaller breast is tuberous, as that will allow an instant referral rather than having to wait a year first.

Failing this, I will look into getting it fixed privately. I can't afford it really, but life's too short to be miserable forever.

My mom and older sister are pretty furious with me, they think I "should be grateful for what God has given" me. They keep trying to talk me out of it. I sent them a photo of my boobs, hoping once they saw how weird they look they'd understand, but instead they just said "well no one will see them but you anyway". It's a confidence thing, it's for my benefit, but they don't care :'( Has anyone else had similar problems with lack of support, and what did they do?

My ex husband is very supportive, as is my best friend, who said she'll come on this journey with me and attend each appointment. So fingers crossed for tomorrow...

saw gp yesterday

So yesterday I braved the GP. I had taken a photo of my boobs which I had sent to a private surgeon, so I showed them to my gp and explained pretty much what I told you ladies the other day. My GP was very nice, he said I should not call myself a freak and said that all women were asymmetrical to certain extent. He said he is referring me for the surgery for mental reasons not physical ones.

It really does seem I am blessed to be living in an area with such a generous I am a non smoker, have a healthy bmi (22.3), have reached sexual maturation (I'm 39!) , and there is a difference in size of more than 30% (he estimated 50%!) then I tick all the boxes. I told him I had arranged a private consult for next week but will struggle to meet the costs, but he said the nhs should fund it. There are no guarantees at this stage of course.

It looked like the referral was made by email there and then. He said I'll hear back from them within 2 weeks...from what I've read I'll have an appointment to check my bmi is healthy and also a full scan of the boobs to check the difference.....this appointment itself might be weeks or even months ahead though....then it all gets sent back to whoever makes the decision...and then I get an appointment to see plastic surgeon. So lots of waiting but it'll save me thousands which I haven't got anyway so I'll have to be patient.

I left feeling so excited! This has been like a shameful secret for so many years, and the thought of feeling "normal" would be fabulous. I am well aware that they might choose to just do a reduction (am currently an A and C cup), but even being a small A in both would be a million times better than feeling like a freak! I have already started looking at backless dresses etc I could wear if that happens. I'm very petite all over, so my body wouldn't look too strange with small breasts.

It's been suggested I post a photo. I'm scared it'll get leaked to the wrong places and I'll be made fun of, as my boobs are without a doubt more extreme than any I've seen on here. I do value your support though, perhaps I'll post individual photos of each instead.

Love to all,

Here goes...

So individual photos of my C cup left breast, which is okay ish, just a bit droopy, and my awful A cup right boob, which has constricted growth, that one didn't produce breast milk and I think it's tubular. Hopefully now you'll all understand why I've felt like a freak :'( and why I need support in getting these fixed x

private consultation update

I met with the infamous Adrian Richards of Aurora clinics. For anyone considering seeing him, feel free to reply with any questions, but in a nutshell him and Aggie were fantastic and I would thoroughly recommend them. He didn't make me feel like a freak, said he'd dealt with two very similar cases in the past fortnight, and that there were more severe cases out there than mine. They were very respectful and reassuring and the whole experience did not make me feel at all nervous.

Now for the bad news. He would recommend a double procedure - firstly a reduction of my left C cup to match the size of my right A cup, and at the same time a lift on both. Then, at least three months later, a breast augmentation on both. He said this is the only way to get symmetry, both in the short term and long term. And the cost......"The final price is £10,570.00 with the initial procedure costing £6040.00, followed by the second procedure at a cost of £4530.00"

Bear in mind I'm a single mum of three young kids, I simply haven't got that amount of money available. At a stretch I could afford the first op, and live with small A cup breasts, but he said because my right is slightly tuberous they wouldn't even be rounded, just tiny pointed things. This would be very strange to me having looked like a C cup for so long......

nhs consult

About two weeks later my nhs appointment came through. He had a very different tactic. He said there was nothing wrong with my larger C breast and they would strongly advise against reducing it, but instead would recommend an augmentation of the A cup. They will then do a lift of the C cup and move nipples etc to match as best as possible. But there will never be proper symmetry. Having one real and one fake breast means they will look and feel different. The nhs aim is for symmetry when wearing a bra but not when it is removed.

This would also involve two ops. During the first they will fit a breast expander. I will have to stay in for 2 days. After that, for 1-2 years I will make clinic visits to get the expander filled to match the size of the larger breast. Once that is done there will be a wait of a couple of months for it to drop and take what wold be its final shape. They will then replace the expander with an implant, and lift the natural C cup.

He felt very confident I would get the funding as I ticked all the boxes. I know how difficult it is to get things from the nhs and how stretched they are, so I fully appreciate how lucky I am.

So....mixed feelings. I'm never going to have symmetrical breasts, but surely two C cups of different shapes will make me feel way more confident than my current A and C cups do. Plus, I have never had a partner with an issue with by breasts, all three have discouraged me from having the op. And everyone says all women are slightly different in size anyway. And obviously, not having to find the money makes this one a viable option.

This will enable me to shop and buy an normal bra or bikini, how amazing would that be?! I could choose any top I wanted to wear, rather than having to make sure it wasn't too low cut, didn't have stripes, etc etc.

He said the waiting time was about 17 weeks, which brings me to January..eeek.

I don't understand why the filling of the expander would take 1-2 years, from what I've seen online it's usually just a few months? I'm really quite impatient about all of this now ...x

pre op assessment date

I've received a letter saying I have my pre op on 2nd Nov. I assume this means the funding was approved? I have no idea when that means the op will be. excited!!! x