My Breast Reduction Experience - Edmonton, AB

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I am just shy of two weeks away from my breast...

I am just shy of two weeks away from my breast reduction surgery! I have wanted one since around age 18. I was always average sized until about Grade 11 when they seemed to grow and grow! I wanted to share my story to help other women considering a reduction. I am very analytical and have been researching the procedure ever since I decided to get one.

I had met a Plastic Surgeon a few years ago who I wasn’t all that comfortable with. I lived in a pretty small town and the pickin’s were slim! He had a one year wait list, so I diceded to put my name on it and see what happened in that year. I ended up moving away and when I got the call to book my surgry date, I ducked out.

Fast forward 2 years and my boobs are bigger, heavier ans saggier! Now I want it more than ever before! Since I’m in a big city now, I figured there would be more Surgeon’s to choose from. I went to see my Family Doctor in July to get a referral to a Plastic Surgeon. I had one in mind that I heard really good reviews on and was really hoping my Doctor could get me a consultation with him. The day the surgeon started accepting new patiens, my Doctor’s office called and called until finally THEY GOT ME A CONSULTATION! I was so excited! To top it off, my consultation was only a month later!

 The surgeon also suggested a form of liposuction called Bilateral Axilla. This will be to reduce that “second boob” that spills over the side of your bra strap and the bulge you see near your armpit when you are wearing tank tops. Since the procedure takes tissue from the bottom of the breast, the reduction will not reduce my sides. This was an optional procedure, not covered by Provincial Health Care. After my obsessive research of any picture or YouTube videos I could get my hands on, I decided to go ahead with the lipo. I figure I will be in all that pain anyway…May as well do it all at once! I feel the results will be much more attractive too! Like, who wants ittie bitties with side spillage?! EW

Although I wear a 34G bra, my surgeon claims, in his medical opinion, I am a DD. I still don’t understand how the “medical size” and the “bra store size” differ… but oh well… He wants to put me at a C. I sometimes worry that this will be too small. I do enjoy having a large chest – just not ENORMOUS! I’m also factoring in the fact that when I have children later down the road that I will gain some boob back. So I think the size will work out good. I have also become obsessive with looking at every woman’s boobs that I see. I really hope they don’t catch me one day, but sometimes I get such a strong urge to ask them what size they are then realize that would be totally creeper style. So, I just sit back and evaluate.

I put my name on the waiting list for surgery. They called me within a few weeks to say that I was booked for November 15th! I was ecstatic! It’s a good thing it was a short wait becasue I would change my mind a gazillion times and I think I’ve read nearly every Breast Reduction site out there. LOL I find that I still second guess the desicion but am able remind myself of the positive reasons of why I’m choosing to do this. (Strap indents on the shoulder, chaffing under the boob, wires digging into your sides, hunching, constant sore neck, boobs near your knees, can’t go braless(that would be a horrific sight)…etc…etc..) UGH you ladies know what I’m talkin’ about!

Everything has been pretty easy up until now. I had to go in for a Pre-Op check up with my Family Doctor, fill out some Medical History forms and go get some blood work.

My mom will be flying out to stay with us for a week. This will be a great blessing since my boyfriend cannot take time off. I’m sure he will appreciate the extra hand as he gets a little queazy when it comes to blood and surgery. Plus, he is going to have a hard time seeing me in pain.

The funny thing is… I’m not so worried about the pain…. I’m just wondering how the hell I’m going to be able to sleep on my back for a month!

Anyhow…. I hope lot’s of you join me along my way…. Share your thoughts and experiences! Let’s be here to support each other!!

I’ll update soon….

So, on Tuesday I will be one week away from...

So, on Tuesday I will be one week away from surgery!! I'm loving being on this site. I am getting great feedback and lot's of support!! It's relieving to talk to all these women who are in the process like me, or have already gone through it!

I am excited and at times very nervous. I have to make myself stop thinking about it sometimes.

I had a dream (more like nightmare) the other night that I showed up for surgery and this man was interviewing me before hand. He had a name tag that said "Pharmacist", then went on to explain that he was going to perform my surgery because my surgeon had double booked me! I couldn't understand how he was qualified to perform my surgery but he told me he had done about 7 already. I started freaking out at the hospital and to see the surgeon. I started to get mad because of all the build up to the surgery and now I wasn't going to get it... At that point I woke up almost crying! LOL

Such an odd dream but funny how our thoughts/fears come out in our subconscious mind!!

Did any of you experience this?? LOL

So I am only a couple of days away now!! I am...

So I am only a couple of days away now!! I am unbelievably calm about the surgery too! I'm really surprising myself. I hope this lasts! It is totally my style to get MEGA nervous the night before/morning of.

I ordered two post surgical bras online. One came and the other hasn't so far. I went to Wal Mart today and bought one more just in case it doesn't show up in time.

My mom will be showing up tomorrow night! Can't wait to see her!

My boyfriend is really helping me out so far. I woke up late this morning and he already had most of the house all cleaned up!!! :) How sweet!! So I only had to mop and do a bit of dusting.

I'm am going to work tomorrow and will need to call the hospital in the afternoon to find out the time of my surgery on Tuesday.

I hope I have enough energy to update the few days following my surgery!! Am I being over positive?? Will I be a zombie??

I hope and pray that I have gorgeous results. Thanks everyone for following! I'll post again before surgery!!

Night! :)

So. Almost midnight and can't sleep! Very...

So. Almost midnight and can't sleep! Very anxious/excited/curious!! I'm having a hard time imagining my boobs being gone! It somewhat doesn't feel real! I started my fasting which I'm already freaked out about! What if I get thirsty, or need gum?? ( I chew gum when I get nervous)
I put a towel over my bathroom faucet so I won't drink water by mistake in the night. I also hid my purse so I won't get gum. (I chew gum in the night!) Weird, right? LOL
I need to be at the hospital for 7am, surgery at 830. I'm really freaked out to see my chest bruised and stitched!
Everyone in my life has been so supportive and so have all of you! Thank you all for your kind words and encouraging comments!

Hi ladies!! I had my BR on Tuesday and everything...

Hi ladies!!
I had my BR on Tuesday and everything went really well! Since I am updating from my phone, I will post camera pics tomorrow!

Surgery Day
As you can read fromy earlier post, I was very nervous, but excited the night before. I had to arrive at the hospital at 7, then surgery was scheduled for 830.
When I first got there they gave me a bed and got ne to change into a gown. As soon as i layed down i started crying! I was so scared. After a while They checked my vitals, weight, height etc. The nurse explained what was going to happen before and after my surgery. I started crying again!! She went to see if the anastesiologist (sp?) would allow me an ativan. She said she would prefer if I didn't since it would slow my recovery from the anastesia. But said I could if I felt I needed it. I decided to "man up", not take it and was able to relax myself.
At around 815 the porter came to wheel me into the surgery area. They allowed my mom to come but not my bf. We waited in a room for my surgeon to come mark my chest. He answered all of my last minute questions and concerns and reassured me that everything was going to go well. The anastesiologist then came and met me to ask any last minute questions as well. About 5-10 minutes later the porter came to wheel me into the OR. O said bye to my mom and started crying again!
Once in the OR the nurse helped me onto the operating bed. The anastesiologist then put my IV in. I was looking around the room then the next thing I remember I was waking up in post op!! I didnt remember a thing! As soon as I woke up i mumbled to the nurse about having a very dry mouth. They gave me a sponge on a stick to suck on and it was heaven! The next thing I remember was being wheeled back to the room I started in. I had an IV and oxygen tubes in my nose. It was about noon and I continued to sleep off an on for the next few hours. I felt a bit sick so they put Gravol in my IV. This helped. They wouldn't let me leave until I got up and went pee on my own. I was very dizzy when I stood up and had a hard time peeing e en though it felt like I had to go so bad'! I asked if I could go back and lay down. I slept for about another hour then tried to go again. I was less dizzy this time and forced myself to pee because I wanted to go home!! It was around 6pm.
When I got home I layed in the recliner for a few hours. I got terrible heart burn so i had some Maalox. At around 9 I went to bed with my pillows propped and some under my legs. I woke my mom up every hour to help me get out of bed to pee. The nurses said the anastesia messes with your bladder. That's why I had such a strong urge to pee but only a little came out. Each time I went got easier. My face was also very hot and flush all night. No fever though! My pain level was not too bad. When I got to post op they gave me morphine. I still feel the effects of it today! I have been getting by taking extra strength tylenol every 4 hours. They prescribed me T3's but I have not needed them yet.

Day 1 Post Op
This morning my mom made me some eggs and toast. I ate about half. I slept off and on until about 1 when I had to get ready to go back to the hospital. I needed to get my drains out and dressings changed. The nurse I saw was very nice and very gentle. She pulled out the drains at the same time she pulled off the tape. I didn't even feel them come out! She then cleaned me up and got me a mirror. All I can say is WOW! I couldn't believe I was looking at MY boobs! They were so perky! The doctor said he made them a full C which is great because I was worried they would be too small. Even my mom and bf were in awe of how nice they were. They are pretty bruised but not too swollen. The nurse fitted my new bra on me and stuffed some gauze in it. One side is leaking which she said is good!
After I returned home I became very nauseous!! I think the car ride and being overwhelmed did it. I took some gravol and was able to sleep. I have been sleeping off and on until now. My mom wakes me up to feed me a bit and give me my meds. I call for her or my bf to help me get up when needed. They have both been so great and patient with me!!

I will post pics tomorrow and please let me know if you have any questions!! Good night.

Post Op Day 2 & 3 Yesterday was Day 2. I stayed...

Post Op Day 2 & 3

Yesterday was Day 2. I stayed awake all day and was eating a lot more. I'm eating light and drinking apple juice, water and Ginger ale. I got up and walked down my hallway a few times. In the afternoon I moved from bed to the recliner and stayed there watching TV for quite a few hours. I went to bed around 9. My throat was very sore from the breathing tube and my neck, ears and head were aching really bad. I'm still only taking extra strength Tylenol. 2 at night and one during the day. I woke up at about midnight, very hot and very nauseous. My mom got me a cold cloth and I was a little gassy. I ended up falling back asleep.

Day 3

I woke up about 530 this morning to take my antibiotics. I was not feeling good in the tummy and had hot sweats in the night. I fell asleep for another few hours. I was able to have a few bowel movements which helped the gas. The nurse from the hospital called to check on me. She said I shouldnot feel nauseous still and that it may be my medication. I called my PS office to see if I could get my anti biotics switched as I think they are making me sick. She's just waiting to talk to the PS and should get back to me soon. They put me on a very strong type so I will be glad if i can go on a new one.
I was allowed to have a shower today which was great. My mom changed my bedding and washed my bra. She helped me wash my hair. I blow dried my steri strips a little then let them air dry before putting on another bra. The bruising has turned yellow and is starting to dissapear. I have been laying propped up in bed today and will move to the couch later. My sides aren't as swollen and I'm not as tender feeling. I have not taken any pain meds since last night. The only pain I feel is when I stand up, my sides and underneath my boobs feel tight and I feel pressure. I am still a little bit dizzy but may be from the anti biotics as well. I have taken gravol a few times today and it is helping to ease the nausea.
Talk to you soon!

Day 3 Cnt'd So, I just heard back from my PS...

Day 3 Cnt'd
So, I just heard back from my PS office. He wants me to stay on the anti biotics. :(
I understand, but I'm having really nasty symptoms, so its tough news. I guess I will stick it out for the next 4 days!

Did anyone else experience bad antibiotic symptoms? I know most of them tend to cause stomach upset but this is worse than most..

Day 4 Post Op I stayed up until about 11 last...

Day 4 Post Op
I stayed up until about 11 last night to take my dose of antibiotics. I woke up around 3 due to coughing and being cold. I am able to get out of bed with no help so I turned the heat on and got some cough drops. I woke up again at 7 to take more antibiotics. I slept again until around 11. I have been watching movies and pacing around the house as much as I can. I may take a nap now. I am gaining my appetite each day and my pain is very minimal. No pain killers in two days now. :)

I am just about 1 month post op. I am starting to...

I am just about 1 month post op. I am starting to get my energy back. I started work on Thursday and by did it tire me out!
I had my 3-week check up last week and my surgeon is pleased and said that everything looks great!
The areas that were liposuctioned are still swollen and tender. This is normal at this stage. He recommended I start massaging my sides a few times a day. This has definitely helped to "loosen" the area. It felt very tight when I would reach my arms and it has gotten easier to do over the last few days.
I am continuing to tape my insicions. My surgeons feels this is the best for scar management. I use paper tape and change it every three days. It's ok to shower with it on, I just make sure I blow dry them a little before I put my surgical bra back on.
I am still not able to work out and I am getting restless. I feel like all hard work before surgery is starting to go to waste! I'm losing tone in the areas I worked so hard on! It will be nice to get back into the gym!
I am still not able to lift anything heave or reach above my head and my boyfriend and co-workers have been very helpful with this!!
I will go back to my surgeon in the beginning of January for a 6 week check up and he will advise me on activities, etc. at that point.
I am so very happy that I went through with this! My results surpassed my expectations and has been exciting to try on new clothes!! The count down is on until I can hit up Victoria's Secret for some cute bras!! :)

It has been almost 2 months since my surgery. I am...

It has been almost 2 months since my surgery. I am very pleased with everything!!
I just had a check up with my surgeon last week and he said everything looks great. I am now able to return to all normal activities.
I am still taping my scars and will continue for the next few months.
I went and bought my very first bra since surgery!! I am not a 36-D. YAYYYY!!! I even bought my very first push up bra. For the first time ever it was FUN to go bra shopping! I have really been enjoying shirt shopping as well!
This surgery has been the best thing I have done for myself. My neck/back pain has been severely alleviated and my confidence has gone wayyy up!
I am not sleeping on my side. I still get a little bit of pain from the lipo of my sides. They sometimes swell up and a little numb still.
Please let me know if you have any questions and if you are going through this procedure please do not hesitate to contact me!!!

It is almost one year post op and things have...

It is almost one year post op and things have healed up great!
I still get a sharp pain sometimes in the sides where I had lipo. I try to stretch as they start to feel tight.
My breasts have dropped quite a bit. More natural looking. Still very perky and smaller nipples.
Please feel free to message me with any questions!
Edmonton Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Chong is a great surgeon. He met me before surgery to answer any last minute questions or concerns. I did not feel rushed and he made me feel very comfortable. Dr. Chong came to check on me twice after surgery before he left the hospital! His assistant Michelle is very friendly and quick to answer any questions. All in all Dr. Chong is very caring, professional, has a great sense of humour and takes a lot of pride in his work. I would recommend him 100%!

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful