29 Y/O Male - 6'2"- 355 LBS. Currently 199 lbs.

Hello All, Today I have started the journey to a...

Hello All,

Today I have started the journey to a healthier lifestyle. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been, 355 lbs. Years of neglecting my body has finally caught up with me. I was always decently fit and athletic until I blew two disks in my back playing football. Since then my weight has bounced all around. I'm not going to blame it on the back pain, I think it was more so that I could no longer do what I loved and quit caring about my health. My doctor wants me to lose 17 lbs. before I can schedule my surgery so here we go! I'll do my best to keep this updated at least once a week since there are very few male reviews on here!

Surgery Date set for May 5th

My consultation for this process was on April 3rd. At my consultation weigh in i came in at 355. There are several things I had to do before they would let me schedule my surgery.

Initial Consult
Psych Evaluation(must have tricked them)
Meet with dietician
Get on an exercise plan
Attend support group meeting
Attend pre-op diet class
Lose 5% body weight

I'm happy to say I have completed all of those as of today. The only hard part of getting these things done is finding the time. As of this morning I am down to 337 pounds.

For those of you who are to proud to ask for help or share your feelings (like myself), the support groups are a great way to have questions answered by people that are in many different stages of the process. I dreaded attending the group but felt much better about the ins and outs after I attended!

I'll continue on my diet for the next two weeks and hopefully continue to lose weight even though the pace of loss has dropped off quite a bit in the last 2 days.

Have a great day to all!

Photos from April 22

Recent Photos

Cinco De Surgery Day

Tomorrow is the big day. Today has been clear liquids only which has been pretty easy. For some reason I haven't been hungry at all. Hopefully it stays that way. I have to be to the hospital tomorrow at 9 AM, but I'm not sure what time the actually surgery is. I would like to think I'm fully prepared but there's always that one thing I forget. Everyone keeps asking if I'm excited or nervous and I haven't had much time to think about it. I imagine I'll be nervous around bed time. Hopefully all goes well. Pre-surgery weight is now 329 down from 355.

Surgery donr

Sitting in my room watching ESPN and trying to drink my water. All is well.

Day 1 Post Op.

Everything is going great. The surgery took around 45 minutes and I was brought to my room. The pain has not been bad at all. The worst part was the gas pain as I have read from other. The gas pain was mainly in my upper left chest. It felt like there was a car sitting on top of it. I have been trying to walk as often as possible because it really does make it easier to get rid of the gas. It is 5:44 am and the gas is pretty much gone. The only pain I have is the lower left incision which is only occasionally. It's only around a 2 out of 10. Everything has gone very smooth. Liquids are going down slow but it's not uncomfortable. Have a good day!

Day 6 - 314 lbs. 41 Down since start. 12 since OP

Everything seems to be going well. I left the hospital the day after my surgery which was Wednesday. I felt great at the hospital the whole time and things got a bit tougher once I got home. Wednesday at home was fine but the gas pain got worse and worse. It got harder and harder to get my liquids in and it seems like on Saturday someone deflated me and I haven't had any gas problems since. After the gas pain was gone I got some nausea and dizziness. I believe it was from the hydrocodone I was taking but I quit taking that Saturday night and haven't had nearly as much dizziness. I have tried to walk as much as I can which makes everything fee better. The only problem I have now is that I get fatigued quickly and the incisions have some dull pain and itching. The first two days home the lower left incision was pretty painful, maybe I'm a wimp! It felt like someone was shredding my muscles every time I moved. The third day it turned into soreness like I had worked out extremely hard. The first two days the pain meds made the shredding pain bareable. I feel like I am past the worst of it which wasn't too bad. Does anyone ever feel like cold spots randomly appear on their body? Spots on various areas feel like someone set an ice pack on them for a few mins. Also sometimes I feel like water dripped on me but I go to wipe it off and it's dry. Doc says it has to do with the nerves and will get better.

1 month and 4 days---65 lbs down

The first two weeks after surgery weren't too bad. At two weeks out, I started taking vitamins and felt 100 times better. The mixture of vitamins and food solved all of my problems. I have been feeling great and don't regret my decision at all. Now that it's starting to get a bit warmer (95 degrees) I have really had to focus on my water. I've been trying to get in 113 oz a day since I'm outside most of the day.

Starting weight 355
Surgery weight 326.4
Current weight 287.8

54 days post down 83 lbs.

I'm currently down 83 lbs to 272 lbs. I have started feeling really great and have a ton of energy. I started playing golf again 2 weeks ago and it took a few rounds to figure out the new swing since my belly is going away. I'm getting close to where I was pre surgery. I feel great and don't regret the surgery 98% of the time. Going out with friends and not drinking or eating takes some getting used to but it's really no big deal at all. I'm off to the golf course.

83 days post. 106 lbs down.

Best decision I could have possibly made. I'm almost three months out and have lost 107 lbs. I'm currently at 248 lbs. I have tons of energy and I'm rarely at home now. I spend most of my time outside and have become much more social. Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and expect to see the bigger me and have to take a look again. I am much more positive about life but have noticed I have become a bit more selfish, so I have to catch myself at times. The only times I have thrown up is when I have taken my vitamins in the morning and not eaten enough. It seems like I lose weight quickly one week and then lay off for a few days. I have noticed my skin tightens on the days I'm not losing. I had to buy all new clothes but I only bought a few since I continue to lose. I think I lost about 20 pounds out of my butt because I can't seem to keep my pants on. Might need some new cheek implants! It gets a little old answering the same questions over and over and hearing the same compliments. It was great in the beginning but it gets to old. People do seem to view me differently, especially women. Im sure some of it is a boost in confidence as well. Overall I couldn't be happier.

Almost 4 Months Post Down 127 lbs.

It's been almost 4 months and things couldn't be better. My back problems have almost diminished completely. I feel like a totally different person these days. I started lifting weights around a month ago and feel like I am regaining muscle. I felt like a frail old man for a while so lifting has helped with that. I feel much more comfortable in social settings now and have started to put myself out there a bit more.

201 LBS.

I'm around 7-8 months post op and have officially lost 154 lbs. I have had to slow down the last couple months because I do not want to get below 200 lbs. I feel great and it was by far the best decision I could have made!
Toby Broussard

Dr. Broussard and the staff are the best. They genuinely care about keeping you on the path for success and their complication rate is the lowest around. The surgeon gave me his personal cell phone in case any problems arise. The response time to questions is immediate. I was lucky to have chosen Weightwise to assist me in the process.