Reclaiming my Body W/TT,lipo, Arm Lift!!! - Dominican Republic, DO
Hello. I am a 32 yr old mother of three. I have...
6 1/2 weeks to go!!!
Within 3lbs of targeted weight loss!
So......I will be leaving for the D.R. in 5 days!!!!!!
I made it to the flat side!
One day at a time....
Seroma? Hematoma? What is this?!!!
Things I Wish I Knew Before I Went to D.R.
First, the packing list. I got some great ideas on how to pack from other ladies on here. These are the things I found very useful.
1.Funnel (for urinating)
2.Chux (for bed and the shower chair while taking sponge baths)
3.Adult Wipes (you will use plenty of these)
4.Sanitary Pads (Get a big pack for anything from creating a barrier between garment and underwear to covering liposuction incisions)
5.The usual antibacterial soap, toothpaste, dry shampoo, alcohol, toothbrush, deodorant, feminine wash, brush, comb, lotion etc.
6.For my AA sisters we must have our silk scarf!!! ( We must protect our hair :-)
7.hibiclens wash before surgery
9.additional medication that you may already require
compression tights (Dr. Robles prefers knee high over thigh high)
10.Clorox wipes ( I wiped down everything in my hospital room)
11. 2 front open house coats/gowns
12.pack of wife beaters to go under your garment ( you will need a clean one to take to every follow up visit. Dr Robles will change you at every visit)
14.Slide on shoes and flip flops
15.The biggest water bottle you can find!!! ( You will sip water 24/7 even in your sleep)
18. 3 or 4 outfits (Dresses will be the most comfortable)
19. Sweater for airport and while waiting to see the Dr. it gets chilly at times.
20. a pack of washcloths. (You may or may not want to keep them)
21. A few of your favorite nonperishable snacks to remind you of home. (I didn't have much of an appetite but they were nice to look at, lol! )
22. Stool softener
23. Diaper for flight home and any leakage from drain, incisions, etc
24. Pins, kangaroo pouch, neckstrap lanyard or any method to hold your drain in place
25. You won't need your vitamins here. If you are staying in the recovery house you will be given all of the vitamins and medication that you need. Also, check vitamins for vitamin A and E. DO NOT TAKE MULTIVITAMINS THAT CONTAIN THESE. IT CAUSES EXCESSIVE BLEEDING. Dr. Robles will ask you if you took them. Also do not take Ibuprofen or Aspirin leading up to surgery, it thins your blood.
26. You can download a free app called Talkatone. It will allow you to call home for FREE from your phone over Wi-Fi connection. They have Wi-Fi at the CECIP and at Virginia's Recovery house. I don't know about the other recovery houses.
27. Ipad and books
28. Small gift for Dr. Robles and her two assistants because they really are so sweet and eager to please.
Things I still needed after I got there:
1. Iron shots ( I needed 4 or 5) They were between $30 -$50 US dollars each. They were cheaper when I purchased them at the hospital pharmacy. It was so confusing when I purchased them at the recovery house so just make sure you have enough Dominican dollars on hand if you have to send for them while at the recovery house.
2. Lioton Gel. (Yes, that is the correct spelling) This stuff is so important to your healing and preventing burns and I ran out very fast. You have to apply to liposuction bruised areas 3x day. It is much more expensive when you purchase from them.($30-$40) I looked it up online when I got home and found it on amazon for $15. I would at least get two or three tubes.
3. Money for an extra garment.($100-$150) I purchased one before I came and it was too big. So it is best to wait. They will sell you one before you leave and it will likely be much smaller than the one they put you in right after surgery.
4. Tip money for driver, airport staff (return flight), and recovery house staff
5. You may want to get a throw away large suitcase for packing all of those disposable items. I found one at Goodwill for $3 and tossed it when the time came to go home. I returned with a small carry on bag and getting through the airport and customs was a breeze! Get a note from your Dr. for wheelchair access and you will be glad you did.
Things I needed for home:
1. Gauze (plenty)
2. Tape that is gentle on your skin
3. Waterproof Bandages
5. A&D ointment
7. Arnica Gel
8. Rosa Mosqueta Oil
9. Pineapple and cucumber (for juicing to reduce swelling)
10. Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Multivitamin (Same as before surgery)
11. Massager for liposuction areas
12. Cotton balls for cleaning incisions and keeping your bellybutton open.
13. Neoprene waist binder for when you resume exercise
14. Arnica warming oil for massages ( Also found it on Amazon...Soooo soothing!)
I hope this helps someone. Feel free to inbox me if you have any additional questions. I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy New Year!
My progression so far
This is a great surgeon who puts your health above all else. She is so nice and takes pride in her work. I felt very comfortable with her. (I have never had a Dr help me pick out my clothes for discharge from the hospital!) This is a very busy lady, but she makes you feel like you're her only patient. Her assistants Laura and Raquel are so sweet and helpful as well.