55 and Went to Costa Rica with Dr. Lev - Costa Rica, CR

Initially, I wasn't going to write a review...

Initially, I wasn't going to write a review because I am a very private person, but I decided that I was doing the RealSelf community a disservice by not participating. I used RealSelf for almost a year before my surgery to complete my research, and I wanted to make sure that other people have as much information as they need before making such an enormous decision. All I can say is that I am so very happy that I made the decisions that I did. This facelift may be one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I feel so much better and happier about myself than I have in a very long time. I chose to stay at Verdeza Recovery Center for a number of reasons, including the proximity to the Avenida Escazu shopping and dining area, as well as the Multiplex mall (which is huge and only a ten minute walk). Believe it or not, after my bandages came off on the 5th day, I was able to go out and go for walks, go shopping, go to restaurants, etc. The food, service and nursing care at Verdeza was top notch. It was immaculately clean, the rooms were very large and I was lucky enough to have a mountain view from my room. The staff was very caring and responsive to all of my needs. At first, I was a little nervous about the retirement home aspect of Verdeza, but I needn't have been. The resident are all extremely nice, many of them speak English, and they were very open to having conversations and talking. I even met a resident who was in her late to mid-eighties who told me about her facelift many years before. She said it was a wonderful thing in her life and I can tell you she still looked beautiful. All in all, I would highly recommend Verdeza and if I ever need more plastic surgery, I will definitely book my recovery there.

Here is the breakdown for my surgery and recovery:

Dr. Lev (plastic surgeon), Dr. Greenwood (anesthesiologist) & Clinic - $6,000.00
I had a necklift, jowl and face lift, as well as upper eyelids.

Verdeza Recovery Center (Room, 3 meals a day, 24 hr nursing care) - $2,010.00
14 days and nights, superior room with mountain view

Additional Medication (pain, anti inflammatory, heparin cream, - $ 200.00
antibiotics x 2 [pills & ointment])

Here's a pic of my neck and lower face

I know people have wanted pictures, but I've been a little nervous to share them. Here's one of my neck and lower face. This was a few days post, right after the bandages came off.

On the left is me at 23, on the right is me about a week out still at Verdeza.

I think Dr Lev did an amazing job restoring my youthful neckline. The skin still feels a little tight and uncomfortable and I am still swollen, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. No regrets.

It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.

You can see I had extensive bruising, but that is because I have a pre existing condition that causes me to bruise very easily. The other ladies at Verdeza with me did not bruise anywhere near as badly as I did - simply because of my collagen disorder. Which is also why my skin got so droopy. :(

These are some shots of my room at Verdeza, the view I had (!), and one of the meals. The staff was amazing, from the nurses to the wait staff and housekeeping. I could not have asked for a better place to recover.

Bruising and stitches

I bruised a lot due to a pre existing collagen condition I have. Every patients is different, but the other patients there with me did not bruise the way I did.
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Alejandro Lev is one of the kindest and most skilled physicians I have ever known. He is a human being first; he put me and my husband at ease from the minute we met him. I can also say the staff at the recovery center continually told me that they believed Dr. Lev's work was always "excellente" and that he may be the best plastic surgeon in Costa Rica (their words, not mine). Dr. Lev listened carefully to all of my desires, fears, and answered all of my questions honestly and carefully. He has a wonderful sense of humor and always tries to put the patient at ease, especially in those first difficult days after the surgery. Additionally, I had deposited an extra thousand dollars with him in case I wanted to add a procedure or two. I decided not to go with the fillers and botox after my surgery until the swelling goes down. He agreed that it was a good idea to wait until we come back for my husband's dental work in November. He wrote a check to me for the full amount right there on the spot. There were no questions on his part about returning my money and I had no anxiety about getting my money back. I can say without reservation that I would recommend Dr. Lev to anyone who is considering plastic surgery in Costa Rica. His prices are reasonable (more than reasonable), he is kind, and he is an outstanding surgeon. If I could give him more than five stars, I would!