31 y.o. Crowding, Never Had Braces, Receding Gums and Getting Invisalign - Columbus, OH

I'm scheduled to get my first set of aligners...

I'm scheduled to get my first set of aligners tomorrow. I'm a granddaughter of a dentist, but my grandmother never taught me dental hygiene or importance of orthodontics. I spent a lot of money fixing my gum issues and replacing old fillings over the past two years. I stopped being afraid of other dentists after I met my dentist in 2014. I decided to do Invisalign at his office because I would not be comfortable with someone else. I already had a few hiccups and I didn't even start yet. My periodontist is not happy that I didn't have gum grafting done before I committed to Invisalign and did not consult with him. It looks like I will be undergoing two grafting procedures WHILE having Invisalign. Otherwise, I have a high risk of teeth falling out. Literally. Just wish me luck ???? I'm very nervous because of a rough start and a rough few weeks I'm going to have until I have my first gum grafting done and healed. I'm also going to pay big bucks out of my pocket because I was not careful enough to plan ahead. Hope my experience helps you. Always consult multiple orthodontists and a periodontist before you get Invisalign. I will post my pictures of my mouth later this week. I only have a random picture of me talking for now.

First day with aligners. Smooth sailing

Really happy about my aligners right now. It turns out that I'm not going to be getting attachments and IPR until my fourth tray. I honestly completely forgot how my treatment plan looked like (no one gave me a video or pictures yet). I will be getting my first graft closer to the end of the first tray and I'll spend 3 weeks instead of 2 in each of the first three trays to let gums heal.
My experience today was surreal. No pain, no discomfort, no lisp, no one even noticed I got Invisalign. I repeated all of tongue twisters I knew on my way to work :) I think when you talk and smile with a closed mouth all your life it is really easy to adjust to something like Invisalign. I don't know. Thoughts?
So far I only felt pain while taking trays off and putting them back in, especially around a buckle that is really crooked and twisted sideways. I hurt skin under my nails a bit whIle trying to take aligners off. It probably hurts more than my teeth at this point :)
Really happy right now.

First gum grafting done

Had my first gum grafting surgery done today. I've been told not to look at my graft because it can pull the tissue away and mess with healing, so no graphic content today. I did look at it while I was still numb though. Stitches partially cover my tooth, so I am afraid to put my Invisalign trays back in. I haven't worn them for over 12 hours. I'll put them in to sleep in after I brush the other side of my teeth and do an antibacterial rinse. Didn't want to mess with a toothbrush at all. I don't feel any pain (had 3 Advil pills so far), just tightness in the affected gum area and some minor bleeding from the roof of my mouth where tissue for the graft was taken from. I've been a couch potato for the most part and applied an ice pack throughout the day. It helps with tightness/pain and swelling. I wish I could sleep with it somehow. I'll update you tomorrow after a night with aligners back in.

Tray 2 in

3,5 weeks in the first tray are finally over. Even though I only drank water whIle wearing it and brushed it every day it is pretty much yellow by now. My gum line swelling is gone and I can see nice pink gum tissue. Just switched to tray 2. Hope to get good night sleep as doesn't seem to be too tight. Attachments and IPR are not coming until December 20th. I will spend a total of 6 weeks in tray 2 and 3 due to my gum graft surgery.

14 attachments, IPR and tray 4 is finally in!

I finally had my attachments done today and I also had an IPR of two teeth. IPR didn't hurt or scary me. It was just unpleasant to realize that your healthy enamel was filed away with something that looked like a nail file. I can't really see or feel these 0.2 mm. Attachments made the work of taking out aligners and putting them back really hard. I have to retrain myself to start with front teeth and gradually apply pressure in the back when putting them in. To take them out I tried popping them all the way up on one side first, then in the middle, then on another side. My IPR-affected gum bled a bit after flossing today but nothing to be concerned about.
The best part of the day was when I compared aligners and photos side by side and noticed that two of my upper teeth moved (the tooth in the side view picture has a less sharp angle now) and two of my bottom teeth moved as well. I didn't realize it until I compared pictures. My teeth are not sore at all so I hope I'm going to have a good night sleep.

2 attachments fell off

Already lost 2 attachments. My dentist's office is closed for almost two weeks due to holidays. Let's see how many I have left by the time they reopen :(
Dr. Taryn Gehlert