30 Year Old Male, Gynecomastia Surgery, Combined Liposuction and Subcutaneous Mastectomies Removal. Charleston, SC

I'm so excited to finally pursue this long dream...

I'm so excited to finally pursue this long dream of mines. I'm getting gynecomastia correction surgery on March 18, 2015. I'll post pictures my results after then. Dr. Kalus is my doctor and he has been great to work with. He asked about my expectations and informed me of the possible outcomes of the surgery. A friend of mines told about Dr.Kalus and his professionalism.

Weight loss goal 20-25 lbs before surgery

After some soul search and great advice from others. I've decided to increase my cardio exercise and loss 20-25 within a month and half before surgery to better my chances of an good post op result. It's going to be hard but I plan to loss weight and while the healing process takes place I'll bulk up on muscle to improve my result. I seen good results ,for people with cases like mine, when the patient and surgeon do their part. Even after getting advice, I will consult with my surgeon Ram Kalus, MD for guidance. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Day of Surgery!!!!!

I couldn't believe the day of surgery was finally. I arrived at the surgery center in Charleston at 0855 and signed my paperwork, which wasn't much since I completed the pre op forms online the before surgery. The staff was very nice. I was called to the back, where my vital signs taken and I changed into my grown. Dr. Kalus came in ask how was feeling and if I had questions or concerns. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Afterwards, I met everyone else who would be participating with my surgery. The nurse started my IV and I was taken to the operation room. The last thing I remember is sliding over to the operation table and one of the nurses putting the blood pressure cuff on my arm.... I woke up in the recovery room with my compression vest on and JP drains in place. As you could imagine I was still feeling the effects of being anesthesia. Dr. Kalus came in the room asked how I was feeling and explained how well the surgery went. I was happy to hear that. The surgery took about three hours. Shortly after that I was discharged home with antibiotic and pain medication. When arrived home I took a nap and around 930 pm, Dr.Kalus called me and asked how I was doing. I was impressed to have received a phone call from him at that time of night. As a nurse, I work with plenty of doctors, who would just have the nurse those kinds of calls. So this was big deal to me. I told him I wasn't in much pain just soreness. He reminded me about my Day 1 post op appointment in the morning. After the call from the doctor, I went back to bed and sleeping most of the night on back.

Day 1 post op appointment

At my Day 1post appointment, Dr.Kalus looked at my chest and drains. He wanted to leave the drains in until my next appointment, since there a good amount of fluid draining at this time. He said everything looked fine. There was still a lot of swelling and asymmetrical healing, which was expected at this time. He said I could switch my compression vest to under armor compression shirt which I will wear for about month. I was given permission to shower. So, tonight I took a look at my chest and this is how it looked... I love it. I was having more soreness tonight. So, I took some pain medication to help me rest.

Day 4 post op...

Well so far, the most difficult thing to deal with sleeping on my back. When I fell asleep on my back, I manage to room on side and then the pain or burning from the JP drain wakes me up. I usually did about three times a last night. I finally took some pain medication and slept the rest of the night. I've learned that during the daytime, my pain is either minimal to none, but when I lay down in bed, I have problems managing pain. The swelling in my chest seems to be improving by the day. My next appointment is this coming Wednesday. By this time, I should have a better update.

Drains removed yesterday!

Finally had my drain removed yesterday. Dr.Kalus also said I could stop taking my antibiotics now. Which is great because they made nauseated sometimes. Seems like the swelling is improving. Dr. Kalus also wanted to start messaging Lidoderm lotion over the scars of my areolas to help with healing. I also have to wear my under armor compression shirt 24/7 with exception of showering, for 4 weeks, My next follow up appointment is scheduled for May 8.

About five months post op update

Hey guys here is quick update. After surgery, I gained 20lbs from being inactive and stressed. And once again I wasn't feeling the way I looked. But recently I decided to take charge of my life again. Since the surgery, I haven't had any additional therapy... simply because I couldn't afford it. lol I haven't seen my surgeon since I had the drains removed but I plan to see him soon. I think I may need an additional liposuction to finish everything off. Guess we will see,

Getting on Track with a new weight management program

It's a while guys, but I wanted to give a quick update. I attended a fitcamp here in town sponsored by Herballife. I enjoyed the fitcamp and decided to participate in the 8 week Body Transformation Challenge. Here are my results!
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

First of all, I usually don't type reviews or do surveys but I had to personally described this amazing experience. Dr.Kalus has been amazing through this entire process. The first time I met him, he was very informative and patient with me. He addressed all my concerns prior, during and after the surgery. MOST IMPORTANT: A few hours after the surgery, Dr. Kalus personally called and checked on me. As a nurse myself, I know too many doctors that would have had their nurse do this. He provided me with a number that I could send him a picture of my chest, if things didn't look right. Yeah, sounds like a VIP experience to me too. I live about a hour and a half from Dr. Kalus's office. So I only seen him on the day of the consult, the day of surgery, the day after surgery and one week post op appointment. Doesn't seem like a lot of time to spend with someone who going to be doing surgery on you but Dr. Kalus makes the most of the time you spend with him. When I left his office, I felt confident and informed. His staff is very polite, patient and helpful. Dr. Kalus and his staff made this experience worth it the risk. I personally highly recommended!