32 yo 36G w/o kids in Charleston

My insurance with Blue Choice approved my surgery...

My insurance with Blue Choice approved my surgery very quickly--I could hardly believe it! My Surgery was scheduled for July 25th 2016, but four days before the date, I got a rash between my boobs! The surgery was postponed and now I'm just focused on healing and making sure the rash doesn't return.

Surgery day!

I spent the entire time leading up to surgery unsure if I would even be operated on today; I wasn't 100% positive my rash was gone. I had my gown on, pills taken, and IV placed (nurse Lynda was a champ and got it on the first try) before I even saw Dr. Kalus to know if we would be going forward. I had all these visions of going through all this stuff and then being told to go home; it was my biggest fear more so than the surgery itself.
However, Dr. Kalus came in, reaffirmed what I wanted (as small as possible and smaller protrusion of the nipples) and then marked me up, no issues! That's when it started to be real for me.
I said goodbye to my fiance and was wheeled out of the pre-op room and into the operating room. The anesthesiologist asked me about my tattoos, I felt a little sting in my IV arm, I breathed in some oxygen from a mask, and then I was gone.
When I woke up, I was facing a wall in a big recovery room with other patients. The nurse was there asking how I felt, and I told her I had a headache and nausea... and then puked twice into a fun bag that looks like a huge condom. The nurse gave me something intravenously for the nausea and headache and both were gone pretty quickly, but it made me super tired.
We left not long after that. I was given a vest to hold my drains and wheeled out to our car (valet parking FTW!). My chest didn't hurt at all on the ride back or for the first several hours. I dozed in and out of sleep, had a protein shake, some tea, lots of water...
Already had to clean out and record what was in my drains! I'm taking that as a good sign. I would much rather have drains than have to process all that stuff on the inside.
Pictures coming soon!

Day 2 - drains removed

I slept okay last night. I stayed on my back without issue and only woke up a couple times.
Stayed on top of the pain with my meds, so it never got out of hand.
This afternoon I had my first post-op appointment with my surgeon (sorry I was so late, Doc!), and he was satisfied with the amount of drainage overnight and went ahead and took out the drains. It hurt a little when he was pulling them out, but it didn't last long.
After that I had my first look at the new and improved girls! I only saw them from the top, not in a mirror, but I can already tell they look so cute! My nipples look much smaller and flatter, too. I could hardly believe they were my boobs! After the drains came out, he put the padded bandages back on and a couple regular bandaids on the drain sites and told me to keep them on for another 24 hours and then I can SHOWER! yaaaaay
I can already tell how much flatter I am. It's amazing. I'm so happy. I can't wait to really get a good look at them!

First Shower and First Looks

I can't believe how great my incisions look! Everything seems pretty well dried up; I had hardly any seepage on my bandages after surgery or the following days. I figured there would be more, but I'm so happy with how things are looking so far.

Photo update

I think I'm healing pretty well so far! I've been taking pictures of my progress almost everyday. Hopefully I'll have a great gif out of these soon.

How I'm caring for myself

I spent my first week mostly sitting on my couch binge-watching Olympic coverage I had missed, drinking as much water as possible, and taking a mix of my prescribed pain meds (hydrocodone, gabapentin, and celecoxib). I started tapering my use after my second day, so that by 9/6 I was off the narcotic hydrocodone and by 9/8 (eight days post-op) I was off the gabapentin, and since then I've been taking acetaminophen as needed and occasionally a celecoxib before bed.
I started my period on the 10th (with really bad cramps, too), but I don't know if my usual pre-period boob swelling had any effect on my post-surgery boobs. They didn't feel any more swollen than they already were, I suppose, but I've been keeping a compression bra on 24/7, so it's hard to know for sure.
Still sleeping on my back, even though it's been more difficult without the pain meds to help me sleep. I wake up more often than usual (I rarely wake up in the night at all ever), and it takes me longer to fall asleep. I'll be happy when I can sleep on my side again. My fiance thinks that if I start sleeping on my side, it'll be too easy to end up on my stomach (my other favorite sleeping position), which is a fair point. It would be nice if could just end up a back-sleeper since it's better for you in general, but somehow I doubt it. haha!
I've been trying to take one or two short walks a day. For the first week I had to step very gingerly or else I would get a big old ZAP in Lefty (usually). It felt like someone jabbing me in the boob with a finger: not fun. As of a day or two ago, I have been able to walk fairly normally (still a little slower than normal). I'm still trying not to lift anything heavier than a bag of groceries or a backpack or a cat (5-8lbs). I hope that's okay! It doesn't seem like it's caused any issues thus far!
Since I have a glue covering my incisions, I have no open wounds (except the drain sites) to clean or tape, but nonetheless I have kept non-stick bandages on top of my areolas and on my sides for extra padding and protection from rubbing. CVS has a good selection of sizes and they even have a bra shaped pad/bandage! I don't really need them, but I bet other women with open wounds would find them invaluable. I have been showering almost everyday and switching out my bras, too. I always gave my regular bras a chance to reform/contract back to their shape after a day, so why not surgical bras?
I went back to taking vitamins a couple days ago. I probably could have done so sooner...
OH. About the bowel movements: I feel it's important to talk about it. I did get some Colace stool softener in advance after hearing about how the pain meds stop you up. I waited until the third day to take 3 pills (half a full dosage) and had a decent BM the next day. Then I was stopped up again another two days, but decided to wait to take more Colace. The third day I had two very productive trips to the bathroom, and since then I've been mostly back to regular. Extra fiber helps, girls! Eat your broccoli and your spinach!
Dr. Ram Kalus

Dr. Kalus is the ultimate professional. He does many breast reductions and his results are all amazing. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with him personally, but the time he has spent with me was informative; every question answered. Plus his staff are all nice and quick to respond to emails and answer questions on the phone. For me, though, the results are more important, and he has the best I've seen anywhere.