Ready to Remove my Implants

Hello all, I thought I'd share my journey here in...

Hello all, I thought I'd share my journey here in the hopes it may help someone else. It was right around this time five years ago when I heavily contemplated implants. I was very physically fit and lost a lot of breast volume. In May 2012 I got 350cc Mentor silicone gel implants.

My surgeon was great, did exactly what I asked for and I have had zero complications. A few general "dislikes" if you will, with having implants:

-I struggled to regain strength in my chest and had to modify a lot of my workouts.
-I have a hard time finding bras and can't get good cleavage. I definitely don't have the high profile look, it's more wide and soft. I wear sports bras most of the time which gives me the uniboob look.
- I've always had a bit of residual pain and have never felt 100%, especially in the outer lateral and lower areas of the pocket.

I debated having them out but those all seemed like small reasons. Then my aunt got breast cancer two years ago BUT just told me this week she tested positive for the BRCA gene mutation. She now has a uterine mass and is having a hysterectomy. So. I've decided that implants aren't worth it. I've had a baby this past year and it seems like my boobs are sagging more. I'd rather be small and saggy than big and saggy. I want to stick around for my son and if there's a chance my implants could delay cancer detection then I don't want them. I've got an appt with my OB/GYN next month for my annual and I'm going to get the BRCA testing. I'm also shopping for a surgeon.

I'll probably have to wait until after the first of the year to get some finances in order. From what I've read, I likely won't get my insurance to cover an explant unless I have medical necessity and I don't think my reasons are considered necessary. I'm also not sure if I'll need the capsulectomy but from my limited research it seems like I should just do it since I want to be able to see cancer early and also since I'm already going under the knife and don't plan to again for a long long time.

Anyone else's thoughts and experiences are much appreciated!

The truth comes out

Well ladies, my husband told me tonight he wants me to keep my boobs :( He loves my giant boobs and I do not. He's been saying he supports my decision either way but I know he loves them. It sucks but i'm the one who has to live with them. They're so heavy and now that I'm looking forward to explanting I can't wait to feel lighter.

I know part of the issue is that I was 40lbs lighter when I had them placed. I know when I lose more weight my natural breasts will be smaller again but I'm good with that. I'm probably a natural C-D cup right now, as I was a B-C when I got implants. Ladies, I didn't need them. I wish I knew then what I know now.

In good news, I've got three consultations scheduled. First one is 9/21, then 9/27 and another in Nov. I'll cancel the Nov one if I really love one of the first two PS I'm meeting. I'm happy to be making the first steps. I'm also obsessed with finding explant pics of ladies with a natural C cup to try and see what my boobs might look like after all of this. I'm ready to get this whole ordeal behind me and move on!

First consult

Hello! Well I had my first consult with Dr Kaye Riolo today. I really liked her; she was very straightforward with everything and didn't try to change my mind about implant removal. She said she prefers to do a full capsulectomy and that it would be under general. I asked about getting an MRI to check for rupture; initially she said it wouldn't be necessary but said if that's a route I want to pursue to see if insurance would pay for it then we can see what they say.

Her quote was $5,000 total. I was really hoping for the $3,500 ballpark but the capsulectomy makes it more expensive and I think I'd feel better with the capsules gone. My next step is to ask them to submit a request for an MRI to my insurance, to rule out rupture. If it is ruptured, then I'll ask them to submit another form to authorize the surgery. There are obviously no guarantees but I figure it's worth a shot.

Exciting stuff!

Second consultation

I had my second consultation today, with Dr John Burnett. I immediately had a better feeling about him; he was extremely down to earth and kind. He actually did not think I would need a capsulectomy; he said it wouldn't be necessary unless the scars were very thick or the implant had ruptured. He said my surgery would be very simple and would likely only take 30 min for the actual procedure. His surgery center is affiliated with one of the hospitals in our area (it's actually the outpatient surgery department of the hospital) and I think that may be why the fees is so much lower than the other doctor was.

Altogether, my quote was $2,800. The fact that I felt more comfortable with Dr Burnett sold me and the lower price is a major bonus. Dr Riolo's office was very ritzy but I actually preferred the more hospital vibe I got from Dr Burnett.

Hubby and I talked it over and are ready to get the ball rolling after the first of the year!

Surgery date set!

I decided to go with Dr Burnett and paid to reserve my surgery date!! I'm waiting until after a planned trip, so I don't have to worry about pain or lifting luggage. Pre-op is 11/22 and surgery is 12/5. I'm starting to get a little nervous. What if my belly looks huge after surgery? Right now my big chest hides my big stomach. Ugh I know I'm just getting cold feet and I'm sure I'll be happy when it's done. I guess I'm questioning myself because my experience with implants hasn't been terrible, just mediocre. I'm revisiting this lovely place to remind myself why I want them out and how happy I'll be!