New Tummy, New Life at 55! - Chadds Ford, PA

Up until I was 26, I really never thought about my...

Up until I was 26, I really never thought about my stomach. Then I delivered my first child and had a c-section. My abdominal fat layer literally "sat" above my healed scar and there was nothing I could do to get rid of it, even though I was at a healthy weight. I had two more c-sections over the next 8 years, and my abdominal muscles were shot. I had a huge, lifeless, sagging stomach. I felt deformed. Summertime was awful; I always got a rash under my "apron" when the weather got hot. I powdered and put paper towels or baby wash cloths between my hanging stomach apron and my pubic bone.

Fast forward to the fall of 2014 . . . I'm 55 years old, and I have been self-conscious about my stomach for 30 years. I hated my stomach. I usually left stores in tears after trying clothes on because I was tired of wearing only clothes that I thought camouflaged my stomach. I felt matronly and older than my years. I was at a healthy weight, but I had a gut I could do nothing about.

I had heard good things about Dr. Saunders from a friend who had some work done by him. So, I mustered up my nerve and called the office. The staff was incredibly kind and professional. There wasn't a question I threw at them that they couldn't answer. During my initial appointment, I was a nervous wreck. I was sure that if I went ahead with this surgery, I would be the one in a million with a complication. After I met Dr. Saunders, my fears were put to rest. He is absolutely the most charismatic, attentive, passionate physician I've ever encountered. (Even my husband remarked that he felt Dr. Saunders is one of very few people who absolutely loves his job because he truly likes to help people.) Dr. Saunders told me from beginning to end what to expect during and after the tummy tuck procedure. He gave me a timeline for recovery, told me exactly what I would need to do and what to avoid during recovery, and even discussed pricing. He is a consummate professional with vast experience, and I felt that I was in skilled hands. I scheduled the surgery at his Surgi-Center in Chadds Ford, and have never looked back. I noticed how immaculately clean the Surgi-Center was, and I appreciated it. His staff (Vicki is phenomenal) did a superb job scheduling and answering questions with aplomb and humor. On the day of surgery, everything went smoothly. I was treated with kindness and practiced experience. They calmed my nerves. The surgery lasted exactly as long as he had projected (about 2 hours). Dr. Saunders did a complete tummy tuck with the "California Corset" technique, which produces a beautiful, flat stomach.

After brief recovery, my husband drove me across the street to the hotel and I was under the care of an RN for the first night. I felt that this was a fantastic option offered by Dr. Saunders and his team. When my husband picked me up at the hotel the following morning I had already been up and walked around.

We came home with pain pills, but I simply did not need them. Dr. Saunders uses something called a "pain buster" that provides incredible relief. I literally felt no discomfort. I also came home with instructions to do "air bicycles" every couple of hours and to have my legs elevated for a couple of weeks. This was easy, and very effective. I had absolutely no problem recovering. Even the showering with the drains was not an issue.

I had several follow up appointments, and the drain removal was the only appointment that caused any pain. It was not fun to have the drains -- but they were essential. I had them in for ten days, and even though they pinched when I walked because of the location, I'm so happy I had them because I never had any excess fluid and swelling.

I wore my binder every day, 24/7 for 3 solid months. I felt very comfortable wearing it for that period because I felt it "protected" me, and I know it kept swelling down. I was ready to stop wearing it after 3 months, though. :-)

Looking back, I am extremely happy with my decision to get a tummy tuck at age 55. I am very, very happy with the results. This summer there are no rashes, no powdering, and no baby wash cloths in my underwear.

I can highly recommend Dr. Christopher Saunders. He and his entire team are absolutely incredible.
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Saunders is an excellent plastic surgeon. He is passionate about his work, and it shows. He is an experienced, skilled surgeon. He has a caring, optimistic attitude and his bedside manner is calming and professional. I can highly recommend Dr. Saunders.