eMatrix Laser (like Fraxel co2) for Deep Acne Scars (Fair Skin, Age 25) - Beverly Hills, CA

I have deep acne scars on my cheeks (pitted) that...

I have deep acne scars on my cheeks (pitted) that I've been wanting to get treated for some time -- I tried 9 sessions of the Clear & Brilliant laser (which helped polish my skin and helped my acne but did NOTHING for my scarring) and an intense pixel laser treatment (did not see very dramatic results).

I'm 25, no wrinkles, and have very fair skin.

Today I got the Matrix laser treatment (essentially the same thing as the Fraxel co2 but with a different brand name). The intensity was 3 (out of 4), which is VERY intense. Cost was $1200 for one session, and Dr. Lin promised I would see pretty significant improvement in the depth of my scars (apparently doing the level 3 treatment is like doing the level 2 five times, according to him). He focused the level 3 on my deep scars and blended with the rest of my face with a level 2 and then 1 for the areas where I had no scarring.

Before the procedure he used the numbing cream on my face, then also injected me with numbing stuff (similar to novicane at the dentist). It definitely hurt (especially after) but was not unbearable. Pain killers definitely helped too.

I am very excited to see my skin's progress as it scabs and then heals. I hope this has the kind of significant effects the doctor said I should expect. Will keep updating.

Healing progress - level 3 is NOT for the faint of heart

I got the procedure done on Wednesday. It's now Sunday night and I am still VERY red, with noticeable scars.

I'm not concerned because I was warned by Dr. Lin that healing would take quite a bit longer with the level 3 Matrix treatment. Hopefully I'll be getting what I paid for.... (the level 2 was only $370 in comparison to the $1200 I paid for level 3).

These photos were taken Friday and Saturday night, respectively. Today was the first day I woke up with my skin looking a little better instead of worse.

Still red (but much better)

Hey guys! I'm 24 days post now -- my skin is still red (specifically on the cheeks) with track marks from the laser, but the texture is mostly normal and I can cover it with concealer and powder foundation.

I'm not sure about the results yet and think it's really too soon to say. Just ready for my skin to not be red anymore.

The healing process so far has lined up with what Dr. Lin told me I might expect.

6 months later...

Hey guys, sorry for not posting in awhile.

It took about a month (if not longer) for the redness to fade from my face.

6 months post, I can see no obvious difference in my scarring :/

Onto the next treatment...
Los Angeles Dermatologist

I really appreciated how smart, down to earth, and precise Dr. Lin was. No bullshit, and I really trusted him (even though I found him on Groupon, lol). He's also a medical doctor who owns his own practice outside of cosmetic services, treating patients with skin cancer and other issues. For him, cosmetic stuff was more of a hobby -- and I definitely appreciated that about him and felt like he knew what he was doing. UPDATE: unfortunately, 6 months later, the treatment had no obvious results for my acne scars.