My Nose Was Ruined by Infection Resulting from Surgery with Dr. Philip Young - Bellevue, WA

I had rhinoplasty surgery 2/8/2013 with Dr. Young....

I had rhinoplasty surgery 2/8/2013 with Dr. Young. Soon after surgery, my nose showed signs of infection and extraordinary swelling. Dr. Young denied there was an infection and instead suggested steroid shots. Dr. Young also put “quilt” stitches back and forth through my nasal septum in the post-op office visit without cleaning or sterilizing the skins nostrils. He squeezed my infected nose so hard that my skin split and the internal nylon stitches broke through. The incisions oozed pus and smelled like dying/ dead tissue. At one point a few months after the surgery, he instructed my husband to pack my infected incisions inside of my nostrils with 2-3” of cloth surgical packing (like a cloth ribbon) at home daily, and to inject betadene iodine disinfectant into the unhealed incisions at home. Dr. Philip Young injected my swollen / infected nose with steroids on at least 5 office visits, and one of these injections caused a separate infection in the bridge of my nose. I had approximately 8 rounds of oral antibiotics prescribed by Dr. Young. He never tested the infection to determine what type of bacteria was causing the infection. Over the course of the next year, the infections continued which resulted in dying cartilage in my nose. Dr. Young operated and removed the infected cartilage from the tip of my nose, leaving a visible cleft and depression in the bridge and tip of my nose, but denied that he removed anything but infected fluid. He kept saying my nose looked "better than before", flippantly telling me it was “cute” on several occastons. After a year of oral antibiotics and at least two more surgeries with Dr. Young, I found a new doctor in January 2014. The new doctor (Dr. Sam Naficy of Bellevue) first identified the infection with lab tests, controlled the infection, and did surgery to remove the permanent nylon stitches out of the tip nose that Dr. Young put in place but were poking through the skin. So far has had a rib graft to rebuild my nose (6/2014) and another surgery to correct the shape of my left nostril (6/2015). Dr. Young proposed to rebuild my nose by cutting away cartilage from my ears, a HORRIBLE IDEA. l I am physically scarred and traumatized by my experience with Dr. Young. He is under investigation now by the Washington State Department of Health and hopefully will lose his license before the end of 2015. Please do not trust him until you know his history.

Photos before and after Dr. Young

Here are

Cleft in my nose from infection.

Because of the infection from Dr. Young did not diagnose and treat, was left with a jagged cleft in the tip of my nose from cartilage that died.

Clefts in my nose from Dr. Philip Young

Another view of the cleft in my nose due to cartilage loss from infection. Dr. Young wanted to harvest cartilage from my ears(!) to rebuild my nose.

Infection more than a year after initial surgery

Here is one of the infections that occurred more than a year after the initial surgery (Photo taken in 2014). Notice swelling and pus.

Infection May 2013 - 3 1/2 Months After Initial Surgery

Here's another view of one of the many infections

Email denial of infection - Read young's reply below

I wrote this to young on April 23, 2013:
"Hi Dr. Young,

It’s been a week since last injections. The tip of my nose is still quite round and hard. It’s smelling worse when I lightly rub and squeeze the tip or wipe it out with Q-tip. It’s drained some smelly pus about times out of left nostril—not every time that I squeeze, but most times, I get little bits of pus and some light blood out of both nostrils when I dab at insides with tissue.

I’m continuing to squeeze every day, but it’s quite sore. Maybe the old infection never completely cleared? I just don’t know – it’s not hot to the touch, but it is still swollen at tip.

Thanks.