22 Years Old - Much Needed Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss - Traveling from out of State for Surgery with Dr. Krau!

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 328 reviews
Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

After researching many doctors, looking at...

After researching many doctors, looking at countless before & afters, & having multiple consultations, I finally decided on Dr. Krau. His office manager, Cristina, was great throughout my virtual consultation. She was very helpful, informative, & responsive to emails. Surgery is scheduled for 12/8!

I'm set to go!

So I have booked my flight and apartment rental (via Airbnb) for my stay in Miami! If you are traveling from out of state and working on a budget, I would definitely recommend looking into Airbnb. We found a great deal on a cute apartment very close to Dr. Krau's office that had great reviews (I'm hoping the reviews are correct!) The nurse from Dr. Krau's office called last week to go through typical pre-op information. She was very informative and answered all of my questions. So far, the process has been very organized and Dr. Krau's staff seems accommodating, knowledgeable, and friendly! I will continue to keep you all updated throughout the trip, procedure, and travel back home! Pre-op pictures to come! :)

Pre-op Photos & Procedure Info.

I have added some of my "Before" photos here and wanted to give a bit more information about my procedure. I am having a full tummy tuck, however, I don't have enough loose skin to have a low incision/scar placement (I've stressed to them how important it is to me to have a VERY low incision) so, because of this, I am going to have a small vertical scar on my lower abdomen in order for Dr. Krau to place the horizontal incision as low as possible. I have seen pictures where Dr. Krau has performed this specific version of the tummy tuck before and the results look amazing! That is my hope for my procedure too, of course!

Surgery Day

Today was the day! I had to be at Dr. Krau's office at 7:30 this morning to prepare for surgery. Dr. Krau was very attentive, he listened to my requests and answered my questions. He really made me feel comfortable. The rest of his staff was great as well. His nurse, the office manager Christina, even his anesthesiologist. I have had procedures done in the past and have never spoken to the anesthesiologist directly but at Dr. Krau's, his anesthesiologist came in and explained to me what he would be there for, etc. that made me feel more comfortable. Even for the simple fact that I knew who would be there and be responsible for monitoring my safety. They all seemed very knowledgeable!

The surgery was expected to last 1.5-2 hours then an hour in recovery. I was so out of it when I left there that I really don't know what time we got back to the apartment. I have slept pretty much all day - when I woke up the first time, I had a lot of pain and a burning sensation but with some pain medication, thankfully that has passed. When I stand up to walk, I am still getting nauseous and my abdominal muscles feel extremely sore of course but I am not in unbearable pain and am fine when I lay down on my back. I did take the nausea medicine they prescribed which helps a little but I am still very sick to my stomach. I have not taken the binder or bandages off to see the results or progress this far but I go back to the doctor's office tomorrow (1 day post op) so I'm sure they will take the bandages off then. I have drained my lower drain twice since I have been home but my upper drain has hardly drained anything at all. As of now, I am doing fine just nauseous, sore and bruised!

Post Op Day 2

Today is my second day post op and overall, I am doing okay! Still very sore and I am still draining quite a bit but I was able to take my first shower today and was able to walk down to the Miami Boardwalk. I have had a tad bit of nausea but the most uncomfortable part is just soreness when I move! My incision still has tape over it but the placement of the scar looks great! And my belly button seems to look really good! There is still a lot of swelling and I have a long way to go but I am VERY happy with the results so far!!

Post Op Day 6

I am now six days post op and am healing nicely. I am still sore and bruised but have improved tremendously! I go back to see Dr. Krau tomorrow and am hoping to get my drains out.

A few days ago, I developed this strange red mark all over my stomach and it terrified me. I am so scared of getting an infection or skin necrosis but I sent pictures to the nurse at Dr. Krau's office, Nora, and she quickly responded - she had shown the pictures to Dr. Krau and he said it was fine. He must be right because it has improved each day! After surgery, Nora had written down her own and Dr. Krau's cell phone numbers in case I had any complications and it was SO nice to be able to text her and her respond so quickly to my concerns!

Aside from the redness, my stomach is looking great! My belly button seems to be healing - it is a very nice shape! And my incision/scar is VERY low which is wonderful!! It still has the tape over it but, from what I can tell, it is thin and low! For that alone, I would DEFINITELY recommend Dr. Krau! I had looked at SO many surgeons all over the US and finally decided to fly to Miami to Dr. Krau and, so far, I am so happy with my decision.

One thing I was not expecting was the bruising - I expected bruising on my abdomen but I didn't realize that the compression from the garment and gravity would pull the fluid downward to my thighs. I have MUCH worse bruising on my upper thighs than anywhere on my abdomen. I believe this is normal, I just wasn't expecting it! I have attached photos here. My upper thighs have been purple for days but are beginning to improve.

Aside from the aforementioned redness and bruising, I think everything has been as expected and, thus far, I am very happy with the results. I will continue to keep you all posted!

3 Weeks Post Op - Skin Necrosis but Healing Well (Slowly but Surely)

I am now three weeks post op. Overall, I am doing well. I did experience some wound breakdown (also known as skin necrosis). I am a non-smoker, not a diabetic, and have no other health conditions that would have increased my risk for necrosis. However, I understand that this is a known complication and occurs more commonly with the inverted "T" incision like mine. I had also had prior liposuction of my abdomen (I'm not sure if that made a difference in the blood supply) but I developed necrosis regardless.

At first, I was very disheartened to have traveled so far to a well known surgeon and still had complications but I do not believe it was anything Dr. Krau did during surgery that caused it. I know that it just happens sometimes. It will lengthen my healing time and may widen my vertical scar. I will likely need a simple scar revision in the future but it will heal over time. As of now, I am just waiting for it to heal completely so I will know more of what to expect. It really looks worse than it feels. It doesn't hurt, it just looks rough.

Other than that, everything looks good. I am very happy with my belly button and the placement of my horizontal incision. I couldn't have asked for it to be any lower! If my vertical incision had healed as well as the horizontal, it would have been AMAZING!

I am finally moving around more normally. I am standing up straighter and the swelling continues to go down. My bruises are beginning to go away. I have been applying Arnica Bruise Cream but I still have quite a bit of bruising on my upper thighs where the blood ran down after surgery. I am sleeping more comfortably and doing good overall!

I will keep you updated as the necrosis heals and I get closer to my final results!