Dr Dean Breast Reduction - Baton Rouge, LA

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Warning the pictures are rather graphic...

Warning the pictures are rather graphic, but they say that a picture is worth a thousand words....So please let these pictures talk to you before you talk to Dr. Dean!!!
I hate to straight out talk horribly of a person but I feel I should warn everyone I can...avoid Dr. John Dean of Associates in Plastics!
He came highly recommended but has ruined my life. I went in for a breast reduction... Went great at first. Incisions had closed up, felt great, not much pain! After about 5 weeks i developed a life threatening infection that he claimed for weeks was a blister. My incisions were opening up and I developed a large mass (full of infection) just below my left breast (very tender and painful) I hardly called MRSA (antibiotic resistance staph infection) a blister. I feel blessed to be alive today! He never once swabbed the infected area to see what he was dealing with! I went to the ER where they did a culture. They were talking of admitting me until he had me discharged to his care. Did nothing then sent me home. I saw him again the next day...visibly worse, and did nothing. I ended up back in the ER tonight in the worse pain I have ever experienced. The ER staff was in shock. Wanted to admit me. He one again had me discharged to Woman's hospital to be "evaluated." After waiting there for several hours, it took the Dr there two seconds to say "let me see if I can convince Dr Dean to admit you." And then after being admitted, made me feel as if I stabbed him in the back by going to the ER. After I posted my first review here, he called to confront me about it. I do not do well with confrontation and tried to take credit for the ER diagnosing the MRSA. My surgery was 14 weeks ago...I still have not healed, been able to return to work, and now have over $14,000 and still growing medical bills that I have no way to pay and was turned down for gov assistance (even with 2 kids and income) I still have open wounds and horrible scaring, and horrible pain! he does not stand behind his work and makes you feel stupid for having concerns! So please stay away from this Dr.

update & thank you

Thank you for the support. I have spoken to 2 lawyers that say it would cost more to file a suit than would be worth it. I am still dealing with a lot of pain and trying to get the one major wound to heal. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance and was denied gov assistance. So I am swimming in over 15000 of medical bills. And an struggling just to keep the lights on at home with my 2 young children. And I was never upset over an infection forming, I agree and know they are a risk, it's the drs blatant disregard for it. I was told that the infection could have started deep in the tissue and just took time to show on the surface. And I feel it is worth the struggle of others can be warned and not have to go through it too.

timeline correction

I need to clarify my timeline...it was 5 weeks after the surgery that I was admitted to the hospital. It was actually three weeks afterwards that my incision broke back open.

Update

It's been almost a year since my surgery. I still have not fully healed. My skin is so paper thin that anytime I wear a bra or sweat or even go swimming, my skin busts back open. I have not been able to see a doctor since I was discharged from the hospital due to lack of money and insurance. I also still have constant pain and discomfort. I wish I had never met Dr Dean. I can not work anymore and have been denied disability because of lack of drs notes backing up my claims. And I am still trying to pay off the over $20k in medical bills. So please be careful in who you choose to see for your surgery. Make sure that he/she is going to actually take the time to address your concerns before they ruin your life.

emergency surgery

This past Saturday night i had a scary event occur. I had another sore on my breast that (due to the skin being so thin) began to bleed. An artery got nicked while cleaning the soar. I wad rushed into emergency surgery due to the massive loss pic blood, to repair the tear. Im now on the mend again

Still fighting

Thank you for checking in with me. It has been a little over a year and a half since my reduction. And in the past 6 months alone, I have had 3 emergency surgeries to repair ruptured arteries that were damaged due to mrsa infections, I have been hospitalized twice already this year for iv antibiotics and a blood transfusion due to one of the ruptures and tomorrow I will be meeting with my new fantastic surgeon to schedule a double mastectomy. It has gotten to the point that I either continue fighting the infections with my damaged tissue or try a radical approach. And if it might help me regain some aspect of a normal life, it's worth it.
The last surgery they actually left the insicion open to drain and hopefully prevent infection. That surgery was on my birthday, Jan 11, 2017, and as you can see in the first picture, the large incision that is still trying to heal.

Next step

Well, after speaking with my surgeon yesterday, we both agreed that a mastectomy seems like the next step in the right direction. He wants this current large incision/wound to heal first and then will do a 10 day round of steroids and antibiotics along with my new regimen of vitamins and supplements to boost my immune system up before the surgery to help aid in the prevention of post op complications. So it will be another 6-8 weeks before the surgery but I'm cautiously optimistic that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.
So I again thank everyone for the prayers and support. It means a lot to me. Especially knowing that I'm just some stranger on the internet. But I just hope that I can prevent another woman from falling victim to Dr. John Dean's negligent care. If he would have simply seen me the first time I called about my concerns of the infection I stead of just blindly calling on an antibiotic and even cultured it once it was apparent that the antibiotics were not working, it would have never gotten to the point that I am at today. With skin and breast tissue so thin and fragile that it years like a piece of tissue paper and one side that is so scarred up from constant sores and infections that i am in constant pain. So please do you research and feel 100% confident that you are in good hands.

Another hospital stay

I hope Dr Dean reads this. And knows the damage he has taken not only on me but my family. I was admitted to the hospital again last week. That made my 4th admission since Jan 1st, 2017. I had about a 1/3 of my right breast removed less than 2 weeks ago due to another massive hematoma and hemoriging (Dr. Puyua's description). The infection got worse, requiring another round of iv antibiotics. It hit me hard seeing myself being slowly hacked away at. And this stay was especially hard on my kids. They were devastated i wasn't home with them and worried that something might happen to me. It's suppose to be the mother that worries about her children. Not the other way around.
I was release this past Thursday afternoon and was glad to be home. Unfortunately Saturday afternoon, the swelling and a seratoma put too much pressure on the stitches and when I simply sat up in my bed, the suture popped and I became unraveled (for lack of a better description.) So off I went back to the ER the get a drain put in and sewn back together. My new surgeon immediately apologized and felt horrible because he felt like a different stitch may have help better. Shit happens, but acknowledging it is the right thing to do. Below I show the initial suturing, it when the stitches burst and then today after my follow up appointment. And I go back on Friday to most likely be readmitted and have a wound vac placed to try and promote healing and fluid drainage. Now this is very graphic, just warning you.

And I am trying to once again seek help from a lawyer. I don't care about money or anything. I just want him to know there are consequences to his actions. And if a post surgical complication arrises, just treat it and admitt it.

Sorry, I know this update is a little wordy. Just in a bad place emotionally with everything. It is starting to truly wear on me. But I again can not thank you for the support. It's something that is hard to understand unless you or someone you know has been there.

P.S. yes the lower open wound is the one from my emergency surgery on my birthday, Jan 11, 2017. That is how poorly my body is able or unable I should say, to heal. Oh and I do apologize to Dr Puyau again. When he stitched me back up, he used a lot of lidocaine and that shit burns. But when he put it into my nipple, apologizing ahead of time knowing it was going to hurt like he'll, the pain caused a moment of profound profanity and I immediately apologized.

Wound Vac

This past Tuesday 3/28/17 My surgeon Dr. Puyau placed a wound vac on my right breast that will remain for several weeks. My insicion incision was only getting worse and all but 4 of the stitches had ripped through my skin and tissue, creating more issues. So he is trying the wound vac in the hopes that it will help it heal. Today is suppose to be my first dressing change. I'm anxious to see how it's looking but terrified that the tape that is keeping it all sealed up will year more of my skin since it is so tissue paper thin. But I will keep you posted. Thank you again For the continued support

First dressing change

I had my first dressing change today. It was better than I expected. Only tore my skin a little. The wound is maybe looking a little better but not looking any worse either. So theres that...

Easter Update

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Easter weekend. I wanted to post an update since having the wound vac. It has been a miracle worker. My wound on The right breast has healed so much already and not nearly as angry looking. My dr did have to remove it this week because it was creating a pressure wound under it. And Unfortunately I had another wound open and bleed last week putting me in the icu for a few days and getting another couple of units of blood. But I'm back home again and still fighting. And my wonderful new surgeon has put me in contact with a wonderful therapist that is helping me to cope with my chronic struggle.
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Was great until there was an issue and he tries to just brush you under the rug!