68 Years Old, Tired of Looking Like a Soviet-Era Bus Conductor - Asheville, NC

I decided to write my review on Thanksgiving Day...

I decided to write my review on Thanksgiving Day because I am so very thankful this year that I am finally embarking on this long planned for journey. I've battled a weight problem (avg. 50-60 pounds overweight) virtually all of my adult life and I promised myself that once I was able to maintain a 50 pound weight loss for more than two years, I would reward myself with surgery that has become, due to the passage of time, more "reconstructive" than "cosmetic." I describe my chin as a full-term baby who lives under my chin; and my upper eyelids are so full of folds of fat they look like an origami project. The plastic surgeons who had been recommended to me in New York (where I live) did a lot of other procedures in addition to facelifts, i.e., rhinoplasty, ethnic rhinoplasty, tummy tucks, breast augmentations, butt lifts, etc., but I wanted a doctor who specialized in the kind of work I need done. When I saw the reviews on RS for Dr. Harley, particularly those reviews by women in my age range (rednaxelaennyl, dreddan611, texann), I felt that this was the best way I could reward myself for the accomplishment of having lost weight and, for the first time in my life, KEPT IT OFF! I am hoping that Dr. Harley can work his magic on me, as he has for so many others, by taking years off while they still maintained a natural appearance. My pre-op is on Dec. 5 with surgery (Biltmore Lift, upper bleph, although more might possibly be added) scheduled for Dec. 6. I will be going with a friend who will be driving and I've arranged for TLC for the first day.

Surgery Today

I had my pre-op yesterday afternoon. Dr. Harley decided I wasn't as much in need of a brow lift as my "immensely flattering" photos indicated, so it will be an upper bleph and Biltmore Lift. I'm staying at the Marriott Residence Inn which has suites - I am happy to say I've got 2 flat screens, which I guess is kind of like old school PIP. I started Bromelain last week and the Arnica pellets 2 days before surgery. Prescriptions can't be sent out of state, so I picked them up at CVS and was amazed that my health insurance provider didn't designate them as "fourth tier" (with a cost of hundreds of dollars), but they came out to a reasonable 9 bucks each. I hope to get my money's worth with a lovely drug induced "nap" during the procedure as I was to nervous to get much sleep tonight.

The Marriott held a party for guests last night and I looked longingly at the wine but settled for lemonade. Juanita said I could have alcohol again after the sutures are removed, so I envision myself whooping it up in the backseat while the long-suffering BFF stoicly drives us home to NY.

Juanita and Dr. Harley were wonderfully encouraging and filled me with a lot of confidence that the old, weary, joyless bus conductor face would be relegated to the dustbin of history. To be continued....

Worst part over

BFF and I spent yesterday a.m. visiting folk art center in Asheville. I liked things that either blew my budget or were NFS. My friend is going to retun Sat. (Sale starts) and I will go back with her if I'm up to it and buy souvenirs to remind myself of the last time I was out in public with my cringe worth face.

Surgery went very well except for the nurse Kelly's logarhia. Although I had zero pain, I could hear what was being said. Would have preferred her gossiping about people from my nabe rather than hers.

TLC gave me two aides who were great, Kim and Mikal. I absolutely needed them for bathroom breaks as My gait was like a bobble doll.

Zero pain. I slept great from 6 pm until a little after 4 am. Limited discomfiort around the chin and neck. So far this is better (way better) than I hoped for. Leaving soon with the wonderful Mikal to get drains and head wrapping removed.

2 days post-op

Almost no bruising anywhere except the eye region. I've been icing but the swelling in my lower face and cheeks makes me look like a triangle. I was blissfully pain free for yesterday morning and had headwrap and drains removed at Dr. Harley's. I remember nothing of what occurred post-surgery, but the TLC nurse, Mikal, told me I watched the news and apologized to her twice if the political leanings of my station of choice offended her. (The recent election has made me extra sensitive of how others react and I didn't want to get punched in the face, aggravating my already bruised face, for having supported the "wrong" candidate.

Dr. Harley and nurse Kelly were both very happy with my progress. In the afternoon my pain in erased to the point that I was staring at the clock until the 4 hours were up and I could take my pain meds again. Slept wonderfully last night and crept down to hotel lobby in pjs and robe (and sunglasses glasses) to grab some coffee incognito when I woke up. I was so wiped out of surgery Tuesday that I fell asleep in my clothes and went to my a.m. appointment with Dr. Harley wearing the same clothes as I had the day before -- my "walk of shame." Luckily no one noticed and I won't be ridiculed on "The Fashion Police."

I am posting two photos I took yesterday afternoon but can't figure out how to rotate them so please excuse the technological ineptitude. Today I will be able to take a shower and since the ultra fabulous Dr. Harley uses mepitac there are no massive clumps of bacitracin or neosporin to hinder the fresh, clean hair I hope to have.

Feel some itching and some tightness but no significant pain this a.m. May go with long-suffering BFF on the trolley tour and as long as I can keep my sunglasses on, hopefully no small children will scream at the sight of my swollen, bruised and battered face.

I iced the eye region and cheeks and neck yesterday but did not notice swelling going down. I did notice that Dr. Harley's magic made me look more youthful and not like a joyless old birdie.

Beat up teletubbie

Bad day yesterday. I had hard swelling and itching. I even called the doctor's office and emailed pix worried I had complications, but feeling better this a.m. Very little bruising except around the eyes. Swelling around mid-face extreme. Is a teletubbie more attractive than a Soviet-era bus conductor? Time will tell...

Off to lunch

After all my doom and gloom entries and pix thought this would be more uplifting to anyone considering the procedure.
Asheville Facial Plastic Surgeon