35 Yr Old Female, Invisalign Treatment, in Conjuction with AcceleDent - NC

3 months into the process, and so far so good. ...

3 months into the process, and so far so good. This has been a quite pleasant experience, and many of my fears had proven to have not much impact.
My initial consultation was in May 2015, then I decided to move forward with the treatment a week later. After a 3D scan and a quick Q&A, I was told the trays will be ready in 6-8 weeks. I had to call the orthodontist's office after didn't hear from then, found out the trays were in. I went in for a quick appointment to pick up the first 2 sets of trays on 7/22/15, had my first set in by the end of the appointment. I will have a total of 33 trays, before refinement. My upper front two teeth are stuck forward, and there is severe crowding in my bottom teeth. I had braces as a teenager, but didn't keep up with my retainer, so everything fell back in their old place. I have been prone to get canker sores regularly, ever since I was a young child. My biggest fear was that I will not be able to keep wearing the trays once the cankers come up. Perhaps it is the well maintained dental hygiene, I don't get cankers as frequent any more. Even when I do, a topical steroid (regiment I started 5 years ago) takes care of them.
My cleaning routine includes soaking the trays in water with Ratainer Brite every morning as soon as I get up. Then after breakfast, I brush, floss, rinse with Act mouthwash, before putting the trays back in. After lunch, I brush and floss only. After dinner, I would brush, floss, rinse, and brush my trays with toothpaste. I try to stay away from ingesting any food outside of the daily 3-meals, as it is too much trouble to go through the cleaning routine. This has actually helped me loose 5 lbs, but I have to keep reminding myself not to eat too fast for my meals.
I will keep updating this but just wanted to get a dialog going on this site.

13 Trays into the process

I’ve never had straight teeth, ever since my adult teeth came in. They bothered me as a teenager, so I went through treatment with braces. Due to irresponsibility on my end, I did not keep up with my retainers. By the time I reached 25, everything went back in their old place. Then it worsened as my impacted wisdom teeth made everything more crowded, before extraction was done. Now as an adult, I started to pay more attention to how my smile looks. I would try to use my upper lip to cover the top teeth when I smile. Even though people close to me kept telling me that my teeth are not that bad, I am still much more concerned about them. Eventually it got to a point that I decided to look into another round of orthodontic treatment. 5 years ago, I went to a local orthodontist, whom told me that Invisalign is not an option for my case, due to the complexity level. I did not want to have traditional braces again, because I still remember all the pain I previously experienced with braces, and my frequently occurred canker sores only made it that much intolerable. So I turned away, waited a while, then earlier this year, my dentist recommended another local orthodontist who is an elite member and top provider of Invisalign. I decided to give it another shot.

My initial consultation was in May 2015, then I made the decision to move forward with the treatment a week later. After an easy uneventful 3D scan and a quick Q&A, I was told the trays will be ready in 6-8 weeks. I had to call the orthodontist's office after 2 months not hearing from them, found out the trays were in. I went in for a quick appointment to pick up the first 2 sets of trays on 7/22/15, had my first set in by the end of the appointment. I will have a total of 33 trays, before refinement. The first tray was a little uncomfortable, but only affected my speech very slightly, and was unnoticeable to most people. Luckily, I have not experienced any severe pain as some other reviewer indicated.

My follow up appointment was 4 weeks later, and I picked up the next 12 sets of trays. IPR was done on several of my top teeth to make room for movement. I opted to not have any molars removed, even though that would make my bite better aligned. When I went through braces two decades ago, the dentist removed two of my front bottom teeth to produce space. That was a horrible mistake, and one difficult to correct. With my overbite, less teeth on top would better the bottom teeth, but I didn’t want to lose more teeth. Therefore, we are focusing on just straightening the teeth and my smile, but leave the alignment and bite issues aside. I understand it is not ideal, but a choice I made. One thing that makes my case different than most is that I opted to have no attachments (teeth colored “bumps” stuck to a few of the teeth to assist movement). That had most to do with me trying to avoid any foreign object irritating my lips and causing canker sores. My orthodontist was able to make that happen, although it may lengthening the process by a little, but less pain and the avoid derailment from keeping my trays in as much as possible, to me that is a good tradeoff. I purchased the AcceleDent Aura on my follow up appointment. It was $1000, quite expensive, but I figure it would be worth it by reducing my treatment time by >30%. The device has been very easy to use, 20 mins a day, and it does alleviate some of the discomfort during the first couple of days after a tray change. After getting the AcceleDent, I have been changing my trays every week (7 days) instead of the previous 2 weeks.

Now I am 3 months into the process, so far so good. Many of my fears had proven to have not much impact. My biggest worry was that I will not be able to keep wearing the trays once my canker sores come up. Perhaps it is the well maintained dental hygiene, I don't get cankers as often any more. Even when I do, a topical steroid (regiment I started a few years ago) takes care of them. The rubbing from the trays can cause some irritation on my cheeks, gums and tongue, but nothing painful and too bothersome. My cleaning routine includes soaking the trays in water with Ratainer Brite every morning as soon as I get up. After breakfast, I brush, floss, rinse with Act mouthwash, before putting the trays back in. After lunch, I brush and floss only. Then my last meal of the day, after dinner, I would brush, floss, rinse, as well as brushing my trays with toothpaste. I try to stay away from ingesting any food outside of the daily 3-meals, as it is too much trouble to go through the cleaning routine. This has actually helped me lose 5 lbs, but I have to keep reminding myself not to hurry when eating my meals. I was never a regular coffee or soda drinker, so didn’t have any issues with staining my trays. I drink water most of the time, and the occasional tea or juice do not worry me enough to take the trays out.

I will keep updating this but just wanted to get a dialog going on this site.

Clincheck Progress Images

Tray 1, 5, 13 pic

13 months into the process (7 months really)

I started my Invisalign journey back in July 2015, and the initial set is 30 trays. When I got to tray 24 (Feb 2016), one of my upper front teeth (#8) had was hit during a freak accident, which caused me getting a root canal procedure done. My roots also showed signs of resorption. After a discussion between my orthodontist and general dentist, it was decided to put my progress on hold for a while, in order to promote healing. I wore tray 24 for 6 months, with 2 additional replacement sets of course. At the end of the 5th month, X-Rays were taken and a new scan was done in entirety. My roots appeared to have calmed down. New design and trays were ordered, and I just re-started to process with new tray set #1 of 20. I am also asked to stop using AcceleDent, and to keep my 2-weeks tray changing schedule, in stead of the 1 week with AcceleDent. I'm quite disappointed with the pro-longed process, seems like I did everything right, but somehow things didn't pan out as I anticipated. Regardless, I'm now back on track and hopefully nothing else happens and I'll be finished with this set of trays by April. Then I believe a re-scan will be needed for refinement.