Albuquerque - Rhinoplasty - NM

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Hello All, I am getting ready for my -...

Hello All, I am getting ready for my - Septoplasty, Turbinate Reduction, & Rhinoplasty. Geez... That sounds like A LOT, but I am pretty sure that they usually all go together. The surgery is schedule, 8/8/14, just a few days away, and I want to share my experience. Hopefully I will update daily with details and pictures.

2 Days Before Surgery

I can't believe I am only 2 days away from surgery. It really has gone by fast. I spent yesterday and today getting my apartment ready. My boyfriend lent me a recliner, that is where I will be resting the days after my surgery. I really want to minimize bruising as much as possible, so I will be keeping my head elevated at all times and the recliner seemed like the way to go.

I am also being good about taking my vitamins/supplements. For the past 5 days I have been taking:
Vitamin C - 1,000 mg daily (The Acerola kind)
Bromelian - 1,000 GDU - 1 capsule, twice daily
Vitamin B Complex - 1 capsule, twice daily
Vitamin A - 25,000 I.U. - 1 capsule, daily

I am hoping that my pre-care will help the bruising! But.... the proof is in the pudding. I will post pictures of the days after my surgery and hopefully I can compare it to others who have had the surgery.

Surgery Day 8/8/14

Surgery day came and went. All in all, everything went smoothly. The only issue was trying to find a good vein for my IV. Like most patients, you are not allowed to eat or drink after midnight, so I was dehydrated. Dehydration and trying to find a good vein do not mix well. They had to poke me 4 times, which was painful. I got a little teary and anxious right before the surgery, but once the IV was in and they gave me a little sedation, it was smooth sailing. Also, I can't believe how calming my doctor was. He was fabulous! His confidence made me feel so much. I don't know if most surgeon's are like this, but for that reason, I would recommend him!

After surgery, I was super nauseous and in moderate pain. I stayed in recovery about 2 hours and I am glad I stayed there. DON'T rush the recovery room, just sit there and don't leave until you have to.

When I got home, I started on my pain medication. I usually try to avoid medication, but at the same time, why be in pain, if you don't have it? So my plan is to take my pain medication for at least 3 days.

One day after Surgery - 8/9/14

In generally, I am feeling okay. I do have pain, which I am a little disappointed about. I read so many articles about people not having pain at all, so I wonder why I am in pain? I am really proud of myself for not having too much bruising. I really was expecting two huge blue/purple eyes, but I have very little bruising on my right side. I owe my minimal bruising to all of the supplements I took to prepare for the surgery. I would recommend taking supplements and vitamins.

Okay - So these are the issues/annoyances I have been facing: pain, bleeding, dizziness, tiredness, and nausea. I have been able to mange the pain with pain killers, but I still have a low grade headache all the time. Icing my eyes and head has also helped with the pain. Since right after the surgery, I have changed my drip pad multiple times. Bleeding is sorta scary, but it is normal, I am constantly cleaning my nose with q-tips and hydrogen peroxide. I can't breathe out of my nose because it is full of blood, so I am breathing out of my month, which isn't a huge deal, but I really would like to get all the blood (fresh and old) out of my nose ASAP. Hopefully I can get an appointment with my doctor on Monday so he or his assistant can help me get out all the blood. I would say I get dizzy about 6 times a day, when I get up from my recliner. I wish there was something to fix it, but I think only time will heal that. I am very tired, but that is to be expected after surgery. I am trying to rest as much as possible, but even with 18 hours of resting throughout the day, I am still tired. I just get up to use the restroom, take my medication, clean my nose, and eat soft food. Lastly, I do get nauseated about 7 times a day. When I feel that way, I lay down on my recliner, eat a few crackers, and massage my arms, then it goes away. I will give another update tomorrow.

Two Days after Surgery - 8/10/14

I can't believe it's been 2 days since my surgery! A part of me feels like it has passed by so quickly, and another part of me feels like it is going so slowly. I wish that I could just feel better already. I am taking my pain medication every 5-6 hours, if I go longer than 6 hours, then I am grumpy and feel like I can't move. Hopefully I can taper that soon. My pain medication is causing me to have super itchy skin! It's pretty awful. I just took a bath in Aveeno Oatmeal, which seems to be helping.

I am cleaning my nose every 2-3 hours. Which is sort of a pain, it takes up so much time. I can barely breathe out of my right nostril, and can not breathe out of my left nostril. I am hoping with my continued cleaning and with time, I can breathe out of both nostrils soon.

My bruising is minimal, so I am still happy about that. I just want to feel at least 75% better and I feel like I'm around 50%. I truly didn't think it was going to take more than 2 days to feel 75% better. Like I said, I read so many reviews where people said the pain wasn't bad and they were fine. I'm on day 2, and definitely don't feel fine. Oh well, I better get in another night of good rest and hopefully that will set the tone for a quick recovery.
Albuquerque Otolaryngologist

Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful