Zeltiq CoolSculpting - Extreme Side Effects

8 days post Zeltiq for my abs (lrg device). Immediately I had EXTREME swelling. Day 8 & I'm still VERY swollen (hot to the touch). 4 days ago this 24/7 SHARP bee sting-like pain started. Not all over, random 'spots'. Nothing helps (creams, pain relievers, ice). I haven't slept in 3 nights. Went back to the doc today. She said inflammation is the body's natural response & this may indicate a better result. Does this make sense? Stinging pain is from inflammation pinching nerves? RX'd steroids?

Side effects of coolsculpting

Swelling and inflammation is a normal response. The treatment targeted the fat cells and the macrophages from your immune system eat the cells.  The swelling and inflammation is an indication that your body is getting rid of that fat. Compression garments  are really helpful. If the pain persists than follow up with your Dr. 

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pain post treatment

Each patients body will handle the treatment differently. It sounds like your body is simply more sensitive in the treated areas than someone else may be, but rest assured that this is common, especially in the abdominal region. Speak with your provider about using Lyrica or Neurontin to help relieve nerve pain. Compression is also helpful.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Pain and Swelling after CoolSculpting

Inflammation and stinging pain after a CS treatment is a normal, expected side effect. Aleve twice a day and compression garments can help reduce the swelling. Talk to your provider about possibly giving you a prescription for Lyrica or a Lidoderm Lidocaine patch for the stinging pain.

Grant Stevens, MD

Rare but it happens

The intense pain that you describe is different than what most people experience, that being said, in a small percentage of patients the larger device (size 8) can lead to intense, deep, pain, most commonly experienced in day 3-4 after the procedure.  NSAIDS (motrin,advil) around the clock for a few days can help to remedy this.  if this is not enough talk to your doctor.

Eric Chang, MD

Side Effects of CoolSculpting

I am glad that you are following up with your doctor.  Some patients do experience these side effects (usually when the abdomen is treated), but normally after 2-3 weeks, the side effects go away.

Keep in close communication with your doctor and they should be able to get you through this.

Best Wishes!

Zeltiq Pain

I have had several patients experience very uncomfortable pain even up to 3 weeks after a Zeltiq treatment.  I am not sure what causes it, but it is always temporary and goes away with time.  It has always happened on the abdomen, so I think it is an injury to the abdominal muscles that have gotten sucked into the machine and experienced some bruising. It does not affect the outcome of the procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting side effects

For whatever the reason, the prolonged suction during the treatment or the exposure of the skin and it's nerves to the cold treatment, a small percentage of patients will have pain as you describe. Typically, a few days and topical analgesics work well to resolve the discomfort.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Side Effects of Coolsculpting

Nerve pain what you are describing and the stinging pain.  Also swelling is common for the first 2 weeks after treatment.  I would follow up with your physician for medication to help alleviate the pain.  Good luck with your recovery.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

CoolSculpting - Extreme Side Effects

It is not unusual to have swelling and inflammation post treatment. With the coolmax applicator (the largest applicator), there may be 1 day of soreness which sets in generally about 4 days post treatment. It generally will last 1 day. Your reaction is extreme. It is hard to know if you were treated with the correct applicator. Patients with too little fat to normally treat with coolmax will have a more extreme reaction. Ensure that you go to a Certified Coolsculpting Center where the treatments have direct involvement of an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon for the best quality treatment. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Discomfort After Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. I do recommend compression for 3 weeks to help with these symptoms.  I recommend contacting your Coolsculpting  specialist as they can prescribe medications which can reduce the intensity of the discomfort.  Best regards.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS