Yoga/plank after breast augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation 6 weeks ago. 440cc silicone under muscle. I am wondering when I can start doing yoga and/or a plank. I am worried about using so many chest muscles again and don't want to ruin anything!! Thanks!

Yoga/plank after breast augmentation?

ALthough the incisions are well-healed by six weeks (approach 90% of the ultimate wound strength), vigorous and regular contractions of the pectoral muscles can compromise the outcome, and can push the implants downward and outward.

I like to suggest avoiding exercises centered on the pectoral muscles for a longer period of time, allowing the scar capsule to be fully formed. There is no exact best time, but I suggest six months.

You can probably do many of the yoga exercises that don't involve the chest.

All the best.

Yoga/plank after breast augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Typically, light exercise is started after 2 to 3 weeks. With more strenuous activity phased in as you heal. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yoga after breast augmentation

It is best to discuss with your surgeon when he feels comfortable for you to go back to exercise using your chest. I allow patients by about 6-8 weeks.

Yoga and Breast Augmentation

Dear jenlm, We generally have our patients begin light exercise at 2 weeks and build from there. However, yoga and pectoralis specific muscle exercises(push-ups, bench press, butterflies, etc) can effect the placement of the implant if started too soon. I suggest waiting at least 3-6 months and sometimes longer. This depends on the amount and strength of pectoralis muscle each patient has and also how much of the fibers I had to transect during surgery. Going slow will never harm you and you should ultimately ask your surgeon. Good luck. Dr. G.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Yoga/plank after breast augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. You are wise in "going slow” when it comes to returning to specific exercise/activity that involve the use of the pectoralis major muscle. Although your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific advice, I advise my patients to stay away from push-ups and benchpress etc for as long as possible ( even up to one year).

In the longer term, of course you should be able to reschedule all forms of strenuous exercise without difficulty.

Yoga after Breast Augmentation

I do not allow yoga or planking or Pilates for one year after breast augmentation surgery especially if the implants were placed submuscularly. Extra contraction of the pectoralis muscle will slow the process of developing shape and projection of the breasts so we want to curtail this as much as possible early in the recovery phase.

Tripti Burt, MD
Plainfield Plastic Surgeon

Wait 6weeks

Yoga can be quite vigorous, so you may need to wait 6 weeks after surgery. However, you should check with your surgeon.